Wiki Posts
Search

Are LDW rates negotiable?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: National EE
Are LDW rates negotiable?

My friend and I are planning to take a road trip and rent a luxury car for a week. We decided to purchase LDW from National instead of relying on our credit card's coverage. Neither of us owns a car and hence no coverage from car insurance.

Online reservation quotes $27.99+tax per day (deductible $3000) for LDW. I'm thinking about making a reservation online without LDW and try to negotiate a better price and possibly a lower deductible (like $500) at the location when collecting the car. Has anyone been able to do it?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't imagine anybody at a rental location with the authority to do so. These coverages are negotiated at a national and annual basis. Large corporations then negotiate the inclusion or exclusion or discounting of LDW as part of their negotiation with National and other companies.

I would worry a lot more about the deductible than the rate with a luxury vehicle. You can eat up $3,000 with a pebble flying off the road.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by matrixca7
Neither of us owns a car and hence no coverage from car insurance.
You'll need to add the supplemental liability in that case too.

If I didn't have auto insurance I'd skip the luxury car. Unless you're willing to pay to get it fully covered it's too risky and I don't think LDW or SLP is going to be negotiable at the counter.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by hughc99
You'll need to add the supplemental liability in that case too.

If I didn't have auto insurance I'd skip the luxury car. Unless you're willing to pay to get it fully covered it's too risky and I don't think LDW or SLP is going to be negotiable at the counter.
Fortunately, in Ontario, Canada all cars have the third-party liability of $1,000,000.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Depending on what type of car it is, I would look into Amex's Premium Rental Car Insurance. It will be much cheaper for a week that National's daily rate.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...erage/home.do?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
My friend and I are planning to take a road trip and rent a luxury car for a week. We decided to purchase LDW from National instead of relying on our credit card's coverage. Neither of us owns a car and hence no coverage from car insurance.

Online reservation quotes $27.99+tax per day (deductible $3000) for LDW. I'm thinking about making a reservation online without LDW and try to negotiate a better price and possibly a lower deductible (like $500) at the location when collecting the car. Has anyone been able to do it?
With hertz i was able to.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I would think that you would have a better chance negotiating beforehand. What are you going to do if they say no at the time? You can purchase insurance from, for example, Travelguard but watch out for luxury car exclusions.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:22 am
Suspended

The coverage you get directly from the Car Rental company does not have a deductible. It's not Insurance, it's a waiver of responsibility. What you may be talking about is the new INSURANCE offered on the third party booking sites. I beg of you READ their Terms and Conditions. You have to pay for any damage up front and file all paperwork receipts to get reimbursed. This is the first I have read they have a Deductible. That's scary.

When you get your Loss Damage Waiver Coverage from the Rental Car Company it is Primary. It's walk away coverage. Hand them the keys and go. As long as the damage was not done intentionally, under the influence and you didn't take the car to a prohibited location (off road) and the damage was not done by an unauthorized driver.

But don't get that coverage crap on line. They do make it look like you are getting the coverage from the rental company but look closely. Unless you are on the Web site of the Specific Rental Car Company like National or Alamo, you are not buying their coverage. Best advice is get it at the counter...if you need it.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Paminaz
The coverage you get directly from the Car Rental company does not have a deductible.
The LDW may well have a deductible depending on the class of car and the location. In some countries the basic LDW may have a deductible of $1,000 or more, which you can reduce by buying a supplementary waiver. I have never rented a luxury car in Canada but there may well be a deductible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.