Coupons and Credit Card CDW

Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: National EE
Coupons and Credit Card CDW

I'm wondering if using a discount coupon that is from National website (such as $20 off weekly) voids the credit card CDW coverage?

I read various threads on the forum and it seems American Express is very restrict but Mastercard/Visa are not. I called Capital One Mastercard and received conflicting information, some agents say it doesn't void the CDW coverage while the others say it does.

Does anyone have any reliable information or personal experience?

I've been renting from National for years as I don't own a car and always used these coupons without any concern, but recently I read some horror stories that the renter ended paying $$$ because their credit cards declined their claims due to using coupons.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:06 am

I can't confirm but quit using the free day and $ off coupons for exactly this reason. One phone rep (Visa) told me a free day earned from the rental program voids the card's CDW but a free day coupon does not. Another phone rep told me any free day voids it. I could never get anything in writing either.

To a point I'm even a little concerned about the 10% discount you get with the generic Emerald Club Contract ID, but less so since it's not marked as a coupon on the contract in the same way.

At the end of the day the small savings wasn't worth the peace of mind.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

True. It seems $20/$30 off coupons are not really worth taking the risk. When using free rental days one can buy CDW directly from National or a third party insurance company like Allianz.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
My Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa benefits guide says absolutely nothing about discounts or coupons voiding the insurance. It says you must complete the entire rental transaction using your card. So if the rental doesn't cost you anything because you're using free days, then it wouldn't apply. But if you rent for 8 days and use one free day to get the weekly rate, you'll be fine. I've used a free day on a 4 day rental and was able to claim an accident via Chase no problem.

Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit.
url]https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1130204/inline/SapphirePreferred_Visa_Signature_V0000037_BGC10374 _Eng_P.pdf?__gda__=exp=1453520422~acl=/api3/file/1130204/inline/SapphirePreferred_Visa_Signature_V0000037_BGC10374 _Eng_P.pdf*~hmac=eba67c5db1cbbfacc17911a241fd130cd f2a217d4d288a8d46b66cb268e021a2[/url]

I wouldn't use a corporate code that includes CDW, as that would waive the insurance per the benefit guide details. Coupon through National, no problem.

All that said, your best bet is to find the benefits guide for that particular card, and read it carefully. Then call if you have questions. I wouldn't rely on someone posting on this forum for a definitive answer, as it won't hold any water when trying to file a claim.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:12 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I always apply a coupon (free weekend day or some $ off) to my reservation and do not take CDW. My one experience with this issue is about 4-5 years ago the car was hit in the parking garage of the hotel - my credit card (Citi AA MasterCard) covered the deductible from my personal auto policy. Possibly anecdotal but at least it's an indication.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Very simple answer to your question - however, you should always confirm policy details with your credit card's insurance carrier, and your own private insurance company.

1. using a free day coupon or award, or a collection of coupons that results in $0 of rental charges on the contract (only taxes) - no credit card coverage whatsoever

2. using a free day coupon or award, or a collection of coupons that still results in one or more days of actual rental charges on the contract (ie, rent 5 days with 2 free days) - you should have credit card coverage

3. your private insurance does not care about coupons/free days

4. if you use a corporate code with LDW, then all credit card coverage is voided because the policy requires you to decline rental car company provided coverage, however in almost all cases, your personal insurance will cover damage and liability
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: American Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Very simple answer to your question - however, you should always confirm policy details with your credit card's insurance carrier, and your own private insurance company.

1. using a free day coupon or award, or a collection of coupons that results in $0 of rental charges on the contract (only taxes) - no credit card coverage whatsoever

2. using a free day coupon or award, or a collection of coupons that still results in one or more days of actual rental charges on the contract (ie, rent 5 days with 2 free days) - you should have credit card coverage

3. your private insurance does not care about coupons/free days

4. if you use a corporate code with LDW, then all credit card coverage is voided because the policy requires you to decline rental car company provided coverage, however in almost all cases, your personal insurance will cover damage and liability
I also believe that World Mastercards require 1 paid rental day for coverage.

also you must look at the maximum length of time a contract can be written. Amex says 45 days within the same geographical area. Therefore if you rent back to back with Amex, longer than 45 days, they may not cover you without a full calendar day break between rentals.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:58 am

The problem is when you get different verbal answers on the phone and they won't provide anything in writing.

The actual verbiage for the CSP coverage seems vague and I could see "complete the entire rental transaction using your card" interpreted in a number of different ways.

Now, if you have personal coverage with a reasonable deductible, maybe it's worth the risk (at worst you're on the hook for your deductible). If you don't have personal coverage that extends to renal cars, limiting risk seems like a higher priority.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I called both Capital One Mastercard and Scotiabank American Express again. Mastercard says using coupons and promotions ($20 off weekend rental) doesn't void the CDW coverage, but corporate rates does even if the trip is for personal/pleasure purposes. On the other hand Amex said any coupon will void the coverage.

Both said coupons/discounts that are acquired due to the past rentals which those rentals were fully paid by the card are acceptable.

I ask them to send me something in writing and both refused.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by hughc99
The problem is when you get different verbal answers on the phone and they won't provide anything in writing.

The actual verbiage for the CSP coverage seems vague and I could see "complete the entire rental transaction using your card" interpreted in a number of different ways.

Now, if you have personal coverage with a reasonable deductible, maybe it's worth the risk (at worst you're on the hook for your deductible). If you don't have personal coverage that extends to renal cars, limiting risk seems like a higher priority.
If you don't have personal coverage that extends to rental cars, you better be buying the LDW because credit cards generally don't cover liability if you hit another car or damage other property/people.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hartlogan
If you don't have personal coverage that extends to rental cars, you better be buying the LDW because credit cards generally don't cover liability if you hit another car or damage other property/people.
LDW does not include liability - that is a separate insurance product.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:29 pm

LDW does not include liability - that is a separate insurance product.
Oops, my bad - hadn't had my morning coffee before I typed that. Thanks for picking that up! I meant to say supplemental liability (oftentimes shown as SLI or LSI).

I'm pretty sure most states require it as basic car insurance if you register/own a car. However, if you don't own a car and use your credit card when renting thinking that you're covered if you get in an accident, there's a good chance you're not in that area.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:05 pm

I pay for the Amex Premium car rental insurance, well worth the $25 per rental IMO for PRIMARY insurance on the car.

This does not include Liability so you don't have to decline the LDW.

Since you are paying extra for the insurance ( insurance price not effected by any free days or coupons) I don't believe using a coupon effects this coverage.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...al%20insurance
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll look into Amex Premium insurance.

Off the topic, are Infiniti, Cadillac, and Lincoln sedans with MSRP less than $65,000 considered luxury/exotic cars and void the credit card LDW?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I pay for the Amex Premium car rental insurance, well worth the $25 per rental IMO for PRIMARY insurance on the car.

This does not include Liability so you don't have to decline the LDW.

Since you are paying extra for the insurance ( insurance price not effected by any free days or coupons) I don't believe using a coupon effects this coverage.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...al%20insurance
As mentioned upthread, LDW is not liability coverage. It stands for Loss Damage Waiver.

Several Chase cards (and a few others) provide PRIMARY insurance as part of the card, without having to pay $25/rental. Just make sure you read their T's&C's before paying with a specific card. Make sure it doesn't say anything about partial payments or something. Using a coupon should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.