FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Bottle through windshield...Advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/1736122-bottle-through-windshield-advice.html)

joepa26 Jan 3, 2016 10:31 am

Bottle through windshield...Advice

Looking for some advice. While driving through the south side of Pittsburgh last night. My vehicle was hit by a bottle in the windshield which put a huge crack in it. The police were called but by the time they got there the people who threw it were long gone. I have a police report. I went to national this morning and swapped the vehicle for a new one, was given an incident report, an told someone would contact me. Should I call my insurance and credit card company? Not sure how to proceed.

matrixca7 Jan 3, 2016 11:07 am

You should contact your credit card company (if you have LDW through them) and/or insurance company within 48 hours of the incident. They will ask for the police report and a copy of your contract and in most cases they will deal directly with the national to pay for the damages and loss of use (if any).

Often1 Jan 3, 2016 1:40 pm

All depends on whether you have LDW / insurance and, if so, through whom. Contact that outfit, make sure it is within the deadlines they require, provide whatever they require and document all of your contacts.

Typically they (the CC issuer / insurer) will deal directly with National and work out the damages and payment.

Very often, where the car has been turned in and you've got a police report #, this may well all take place in a single phone call.

joepa26 Jan 3, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks for the help!

arf04 Jan 7, 2016 7:55 am

I've had no issues with my CC settling a damage claim (hit and run in a parkade) without a police report. However, I called my CC as soon as I discovered the damage and they told me what info they needed. National, in my experience, is very easy to deal with in terms of insurance claims.

DonCarpenter Jan 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by joepa26 (Post 25954211)
Not sure how to proceed.

No advice on the insurance stuff, but I would advise you to stay out of Pittsburgh.

joepa26 Jan 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by DonCarpenter (Post 26006766)
No advice on the insurance stuff, but I would advise you to stay out of Pittsburgh.

haha I agree!

joepa26 Jan 12, 2016 2:11 pm

I contacted my credit card company right away and filed the claim with them. They gave me a list of items that I will need such as a credit card statement, the rental agreement, and final receipt. I called into National's dru yesterday since I haven't heard or received any correspondence from them and the vehicle was returned on January 3. After being transferred 3 times and put on hold multiple times I was told a damage report had not been generated yet and I probably won't receive anything from them until February. He did take the claim number I received from my credit card company, gave me his name and extension, and said they will handle most of it. I was told it usually takes about 10 weeks to be resolved.

Anaom Jan 12, 2016 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by joepa26 (Post 26007355)
I contacted my credit card company right away and filed the claim with them. They gave me a list of items that I will need such as a credit card statement, the rental agreement, and final receipt. I called into National's dru yesterday since I haven't heard or received any correspondence from them and the vehicle was returned on January 3. After being transferred 3 times and put on hold multiple times I was told a damage report had not been generated yet and I probably won't receive anything from them until February. He did take the claim number I received from my credit card company, gave me his name and extension, and said they will handle most of it. I was told it usually takes about 10 weeks to be resolved.

I will say that the only time I've heard from them is about 2 months after I returned a vehicle that had damage. Now mind you both times I had pictures and emails confirming they were pre existing but they are definitely not the quickest in processing those claims.

-A

joepa26 Jun 16, 2016 5:48 am

Six months later I finally received a bill for this incident :rolleyes:

Damage: $162.00
Admin Fees: $50.00
Diminishment of Value: $16.20 (Waived)

Total Due $212.00

Sent it off to Visa for payment