Question regarding Emerald Club

Old Sep 15, 15, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Question regarding Emerald Club

Hello. Let me start out by saying that I am new to the forum, and have little experience booking rental cars.

Next week, I will by flying to EWR, and have arranged a full-size rental through National, via a Discover Card link. I secured a price of $160.xx for four days.

Since procuring the car, I stumbled across the forum here. I learned that it might be advantageous for me to sign up for the Emerald Club, as it would allow me to list my wife as a 2nd driver for no added charge. Additionally, I contemplated switching to a mid-size rental, and trying my luck on the Emerald aisle. (Still unsure about this, as I'd like to guarantee AT LEAST a full-size car) HOWEVER...I'm now seeing a rate of $312.xx for the mid-size rental, and $325.xx for full-size. While I'm no longer using my Discover card link - didn't know if I could stack that with the Emerald Club - I'm a bit astounded by the rate increase.

Is this due to my waiting too long to decide to make the change? Or is it simply a better overall price for me to use the Discover link vs. Emerald Club? Any and all advice is appreciated!

John
Old Sep 15, 15, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
I would try signing up for emerald club now, then just call them and see if they can attach your emerald club number to your existing reservation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: