Alamo vs. National at FLL

Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR

I currently have a res for a 10 day, full size, 1 way rental from FLL w/ Nat. I have Ex status and am looking for a mid size suv. I used an Amex Plat code and a $25 coupon to get the price down a bit but it's no bargain at $312

Just found a code from mousesavers for Alamo and was able to book a mid siz suv for $301. Obviously not a huge difference in price but guaranteeing me the type of car we want for our vacation.

Is there anything I need to know about Alamo vs. National at FLL that would make National a better choice in this situation? I usually just go right to the shuttle, choose from the ES and go on my way. Will it be a big time suck to use Alamo instead? I've never rented from them. We're arriving on a Friday at 5pm if that makes any difference.

TIA
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

They are right next door to each other. I would sign up for whatever express program they have.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I currently have a res for a 10 day, full size, 1 way rental from FLL w/ Nat. I have Ex status and am looking for a mid size suv. I used an Amex Plat code and a $25 coupon to get the price down a bit but it's no bargain at $312

Just found a code from mousesavers for Alamo and was able to book a mid siz suv for $301. Obviously not a huge difference in price but guaranteeing me the type of car we want for our vacation.

Is there anything I need to know about Alamo vs. National at FLL that would make National a better choice in this situation? I usually just go right to the shuttle, choose from the ES and go on my way. Will it be a big time suck to use Alamo instead? I've never rented from them. We're arriving on a Friday at 5pm if that makes any difference.

TIA
Make multiple reservations and cancel if one station doesn't have the car you want? I know Alamo/Enterprise/National are all owned by the same company but sometimes they won't pull cars from the other side...

I'm not sure if Alamo has free cancellation so maybe this is an option
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:01 pm

Alamo and National are co-located at FLL. You can literally walk between both lots. If you do want to use Alamo then:

1) Sign up for Alamo Insiders (Not really necessary)

2) Select Online check-in on the Alamo website. Enter your Conf # and name. Select "Bypass the Counter". If you haven't signed up for Insiders you'll need to enter your credit card info; if you signed up..this info should be automatically populated into the fields. It will then tell you print your bypass ticket, which is your confirmation information and a bar code for the Booth agent to scan.

That's it. When you arrive at FLL, simply head out to the midsize SUV row and choose anyone.

**Alamo doesn't charge your card for anything until you return the rental and you can cancel at anytime. I personally would keep the National rental at only $11 more to earn towards free days, but that's up to you.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:36 am

In cases like this where there is a shared fleet and colocation whats the deal with taking from National with an Alamo reservation or vice versa?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Alamo and National are co-located at FLL. You can literally walk between both lots. If you do want to use Alamo then:

1) Sign up for Alamo Insiders (Not really necessary)

2) Select Online check-in on the Alamo website. Enter your Conf # and name. Select "Bypass the Counter". If you haven't signed up for Insiders you'll need to enter your credit card info; if you signed up..this info should be automatically populated into the fields. It will then tell you print your bypass ticket, which is your confirmation information and a bar code for the Booth agent to scan.

That's it. When you arrive at FLL, simply head out to the midsize SUV row and choose anyone.

**Alamo doesn't charge your card for anything until you return the rental and you can cancel at anytime. I personally would keep the National rental at only $11 more to earn towards free days, but that's up to you.
Thanks for the info, that's very helpful. I did sign up for Insider. Good point about the free days. I don't usually rent enough to get any free days - I have Exec through my platinum card. I'll have to consider that this time though because I do have several trips planned for 2015 that will require a car.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've had them pull from Alamo when National didn't have what I was looking for at FLL, but this will usually get you a higher-mileage car. That said, $312 all-in for 10 days isn't a terrible price and I usually see mid-size and up SUVs in ES when I'm at FLL (they seem to have more Explorers than many stations for some reason) even though I'm usually on PCAR or LCAR res.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:56 pm

If possible, fly one way to FLL and drive back. You could rent an ISUV from the aisle for $10/day.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

That's a great deal if you live 4-5 hours away but no way am I driving all the way to BOS from Florida. Maybe if I was retired...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Just found a $30 off coupon code for Alamo (AD2338FDF) so got that res down to $268. Looks like I'll be giving Alamo a try! The coupon is a Visa code so I assume you need to use a Visa to pay.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Just found a $30 off coupon code for Alamo (AD2338FDF) so got that res down to $268. Looks like I'll be giving Alamo a try! The coupon is a Visa code so I assume you need to use a Visa to pay.
Good news. YMMV on having to use a Visa to pay on return. When exactly are your rental dates?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

4/17 - 4/27

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.