Wiki Posts
Search

am I crazy??rental run

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
am I crazy??rental run

I have one more rental needed to get to elite.....an no trips until January.
so tomorrow I am renting a car, and will drop it off shortly after I pick it up...
anyone else doing a "rental run"??
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Get it on their "Last Minute Specials" code, on a weekend, and get it from a non-airport location. Cost should be minimal and you'll hit the next tier for the next year. Makes sense to me.

1 vote for not crazy, at least in this instance.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It depends on how one values his time, how cheap rates/fees can be, and expected benefits on next year's rentals. It's not crazy as a foregone conclusion.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

there is no non-airport location though....but a few $$ to get to eilte and earn a free day every 5 is a good deal for me.....
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:13 am

I did something similar. Got a rental from NJ to West Palm Beach, then booked a flight from PBI to IAD for $18 on F9. Then I drove the 1400 miles and flew back from PBI the next day. I was 9 days away from Executive and got a cheap Florida drive in rate.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you actually use your free days, I'd say go for EE depending on the # of days necessary and rates available. If you often let free days expire, there's not much benefit in EE vs ES. I was going to be one day short of EE and was pondering whether or not a single day rental would be worth it as I've had 12F days expire without being used the last 2 years and I never have a need to do one-ways (outside of stringing 12F and regular days together as I'll be doing next month). I probably would have done the single-day to hit EE (more to get PCAR on ICAR res at TUL than anything else) but they ended up bumping me up based on a CS issue anyway, which negated the need.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
If you actually use your free days, I'd say go for EE depending on the # of days necessary and rates available. If you often let free days expire, there's not much benefit in EE vs ES. I was going to be one day short of EE and was pondering whether or not a single day rental would be worth it as I've had 12F days expire without being used the last 2 years and I never have a need to do one-ways (outside of stringing 12F and regular days together as I'll be doing next month). I probably would have done the single-day to hit EE (more to get PCAR on ICAR res at TUL than anything else) but they ended up bumping me up based on a CS issue anyway, which negated the need.
yeah, i was really torn about it.....but for about $42 I picked up the car, returned it a few minutes later and got my 25th rental. I think the rentals will come in very handy, but maybe not--I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained. I just couldnt stand to be one rental short.....I am already getting screwed with US air, at least with hilton and national I made it
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by nd2010
I did something similar. Got a rental from NJ to West Palm Beach, then booked a flight from PBI to IAD for $18 on F9. Then I drove the 1400 miles and flew back from PBI the next day. I was 9 days away from Executive and got a cheap Florida drive in rate.
that's an extreme rental run... the gas and toll cost a lot
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Just did a rental run and lucked into a 325i. I was going to just let it sit for an hour but decided to drive around for a bit. The person who checked me back in said 3 other people did the same thing that day as well to hit their status level for the year.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hite
Just did a rental run and lucked into a 325i. I was going to just let it sit for an hour but decided to drive around for a bit. The person who checked me back in said 3 other people did the same thing that day as well to hit their status level for the year.

wow a 325 i...now thats nice!!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nlkm9
I was surprised when she offered it. Now to get that upgrade when I have the car for more than a few hours.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9
Was picking up my car for Christmas at National in Manhattan when a 355i was just returned. Really, really, REALLY, was tempted to ask but.......
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:01 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Was picking up my car for Christmas at National in Manhattan when a 355i was just returned. Really, really, REALLY, was tempted to ask but.......
What's a 355i?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
What's a 355i?
Typo; meant *325i*

Sorry.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Southwest AList, National EC Exec, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz 5S
Originally Posted by dwbf11
What's a 355i?
Must be the new addition of a 1990s Ferrari

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.