Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

How to transfer free days to someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite

According to the terms of the program:

6.3. Rental credits are non-transferable. Free Days are transferable only to other Members and to immediate family members of Member (e.g., spouse or domestic partner, child over the age of 21, parent) irrespective of their membership in the Program. Members may transfer up to three (3) Free Days per calendar year. Once transferred, Free Days cannot be returned to Member's account. Transferred Free Days are valid for one (1) year from the original month of transfer.

Is this something we have to call in to do? Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite

wow...I had no idea that these are (semi) transferable. Would love to know how it's done.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:58 am

Rent the car yourself then add someone else as an authorized driver. They might offer 1 free additional driver.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:15 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by nd2010
Rent the car yourself then add someone else as an authorized driver. They might offer 1 free additional driver.
That's not what the OP was asking not does it achieve his or her goals. For example, if the family member wants to rent where OP won't be on the trip. And, National does not just hand out free additional drivers unless the Contract Code being used provides for them.

OP, this sounds like it would be best handled by the Emerald Customer Service line. There is no way to achieve this online as far as I know.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum; United 1K - Lifetime Gold, Emerald Club Exec Elite
Transfering is not an issue

I was looking into this for my wife and saw a couple of posts that said it was not possible. It must have changed because I had no issue. Members are allowed to transfer up to 3 free rental days to another member or spouse. My spouse has an account, but they opted to simply email her the free day. I called Emerald club support and they handled it for me with pleasure.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, American
Know this is a bit of a dated thread, but in case anyone still refers back -- you are able to transfer your free days to anyone, not just family members. Only catch is that they have to have an open rewards account with National.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Marriott PE, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by shedman
I was looking into this for my wife and saw a couple of posts that said it was not possible. It must have changed because I had no issue. Members are allowed to transfer up to 3 free rental days to another member or spouse. My spouse has an account, but they opted to simply email her the free day. I called Emerald club support and they handled it for me with pleasure.
Can confirm; as of January, 2019, all I had to do was call and they processed it. I've read several posts on here prior that the free days couldn't be transferred, so hopefully our posts will go toward correcting that misunderstanding.

A few things to note:
1. National manually processes the request, so it takes 3-5 business days. So plan ahead.
2. National converts the free days into codes and emails them to you and the recipient.
3. While the policy says up to 3 days per year, I was able to transfer 5 days on two separate occasions in January, 2019, to my wife. I even brought up the limit with the CSR on the second transfer request, and she said they are sometimes lax about the limit. Indeed, no fuss. I do think that because it's a manual processing (takes your request, reduces the # of free days in your account, generates a code for each free day, then sends email), they may not actually have a way to check the history for prior transfers. But that's just speculation on my part.

Happy driving~
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
I recently did this. I just called and they transferred three free days to my wife's account. These are free days that were earned through the normal process of renting, not earned through the One, Two, Free promotion. The days earned through OTF are not transferrable according to the site. However, it is possible for someone who did not earn the OTF days to use the coupon codes for free rental days. (Don't ask me how I know that).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by RJPA
Can confirm; as of January, 2019, all I had to do was call and they processed it. I've read several posts on here prior that the free days couldn't be transferred, so hopefully our posts will go toward correcting that misunderstanding.

A few things to note:
1. National manually processes the request, so it takes 3-5 business days. So plan ahead.
2. National converts the free days into codes and emails them to you and the recipient.
3. While the policy says up to 3 days per year, I was able to transfer 5 days on two separate occasions in January, 2019, to my wife. I even brought up the limit with the CSR on the second transfer request, and she said they are sometimes lax about the limit. Indeed, no fuss. I do think that because it's a manual processing (takes your request, reduces the # of free days in your account, generates a code for each free day, then sends email), they may not actually have a way to check the history for prior transfers. But that's just speculation on my part.

Happy driving~
If I had to guess, are these codes valid for everything up to full size? The only real downside if so would be if you're EE and could use them on something in a higher class.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Marriott PE, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
If I had to guess, are these codes valid for everything up to full size? The only real downside if so would be if you're EE and could use them on something in a higher class.
Not 100% sure on what exactly is included/excluded, but my wife used the codes to rent an Elantra the first time, then a mid-size SUV (can't remember the model) the second time at no additional charge.

I agree with your point. But, hey, I was just happy that she could get a rental for free without me having to be there.
Joonydell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.