OW US into Canada

Old Jul 29, 14, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
OW US into Canada

I'm trying to work out an itinerary for some travel and I think I'd like to do a trip into DTW, then drive to Toronto for a couple of days and fly back from YYZ.

The one-way rate is obviously high, and I have not been able to find a code that makes it reasonable. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good rate to go from US to Canada on a one-way? It would be a Thursday - Sunday rental.
Old Jul 29, 14, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
I'm trying to work out an itinerary for some travel and I think I'd like to do a trip into DTW, then drive to Toronto for a couple of days and fly back from YYZ.

The one-way rate is obviously high, and I have not been able to find a code that makes it reasonable. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good rate to go from US to Canada on a one-way? It would be a Thursday - Sunday rental.
Well the only thing I would say would be book the cheapest you can find and hope that a CDN plated car is at DTW. You may be able to talk to the manager about giving you a discount for taking it back. The main reason it's so expensive is that really the vehicle is stuck in YYZ until it's OW back. Or a goof up on the ES aisle...
Old Jul 30, 14, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Alaska737890 View Post
Well the only thing I would say would be book the cheapest you can find and hope that a CDN plated car is at DTW. You may be able to talk to the manager about giving you a discount for taking it back. The main reason it's so expensive is that really the vehicle is stuck in YYZ until it's OW back. Or a goof up on the ES aisle...
I've never had a problem getting a Canadian plated car at DTW.

I always ask because some CBSA officers get a little snooty with Canadians driving American rental cars into Canada.
Old Jul 31, 14, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, National Emerald Exec
Do a one-way rental only for the day you need to have it, then return it and pick up another car locally for the days you'd need a car in YYZ. That will help significantly.