Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Coupe 3LT Review/Ride Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Coupe 3LT Review/Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
NICE. But $400 a day is wayyy too much. The MSRP is only equal to the K900 which I've rented for $250 a week all in. If you wanted to drive it for a week or two it's a better deal to just buy the car.
True, but I bet the risk of a total loss on an LDW is MUCH greater!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Nice review! ^

Were there a lot of 'Vettes available when you rented? When I was at IAD last week, there were probably four or five available, and the manager was very willing to negotiate on the upgrade fee...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Nice review! ^

Were there a lot of 'Vettes available when you rented? When I was at IAD last week, there were probably four or five available, and the manager was very willing to negotiate on the upgrade fee...
Not sure because I didn't rent directly from IAD. The car was pulled from IAD though. I was told they had several available.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm sure the upgrade price is to keep the clowns from renting and destroying it...
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Inspired by drzoidberg's review, I pulled the trigger on one of these recently as well.

Had a mechanical issue on a regular ES rental and since it was midweek at IAD, there were only full-size SUVs. There were at least 3-4 of the Corvettes around, so negotiated with the manager to switch into one of these. It seems the lowest they will go ("per the computer") is an upgrade fee of $150/day (at least, on a regular ES reservation).

Fully echo drzoidberg's comments -- exhaust sound is addictive and though I didn't have many opportunities to let it loose, you can tell the car can handle everything you throw at it and more. And I thought it was surprisingly docile during normal driving, especially in Eco or Standard mode -- almost daily-driver like.

Interior was user-friendly and had the usual Corvette gadgets like the heads-up display, etc. along with navigation and a great sound system. As was mentioned previously, visibility was a bit tough but there is a backup camera to help. Awesome piece of engineering overall. ^
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Sweet! Only IAD rents them in DC. And it is possible to get for less than $150 on an ES reservation.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
And it is possible to get for less than $150 on an ES reservation.
Good to know for next time...
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapelle621

Hi Dr.Z, just thought I'd chime in on the car class. I had a rental out in Halifax recently and got a 5.0 2014 'stang classified as a WCAR. That's completely nuts that it's in the same category as this Corvette

Hmm, I wonder if they changed classifications recentlt? Saw a 5.0 Stang in the spring and it was an SSAR.

Keep in mind the $400 upgrade fee may be negotiable.
GT Convertibles are WCAR; GT Coupes are SSAR 😉
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:56 pm

There are 3 in Charlotte. 1 convertible.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: National executive elite, Marriott gold, Hilton diamond, swa cp, DL DM
Denver has them in convertible trim.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:07 am

Stingray for $100/day? Almost!

I inquired about a new red stingray convertible at LAX about a month ago. They said it was $380/day but there was a special and I could have it for $100/day over the midsize rate I had reserved. I'm exec but don't know if that mattered. I rented it for 5 days - a 2015 in top trim with about 7k miles. What an experience for just Disneyland money!

I suspect some folks may be sceptical about this but this is the honest truth.....
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by airbowline
I inquired about a new red stingray convertible at LAX about a month ago. They said it was $380/day but there was a special and I could have it for $100/day over the midsize rate I had reserved. I'm exec but don't know if that mattered. I rented it for 5 days - a 2015 in top trim with about 7k miles. What an experience for just Disneyland money!

I suspect some folks may be sceptical about this but this is the honest truth.....
Here in PHX you can rent a Maserati for $100/day upgrade... So I wouldn't doubt that a Vette would get the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.