Wiki Posts
Search

Renting at GCM

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key
Renting at GCM

Is it similar to US rentals, just head out to the vehicles for Emeralds Club? I know in Brasil from experience that doesn't exist.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:01 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
No, it's not like that. It's run by a licensee (not corporate) and you will go into the building and wait in line like everyone else and be assigned a car in the class you reserved. Do not expect any upgrades. Your status, if you have any, will not be recognized there.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but can anyone advise if free rental days work in GCM? I know they don't at Hertz and I'm thinking of switching to National if I can use free days in GCM. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by el_jefe
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but can anyone advise if free rental days work in GCM? I know they don't at Hertz and I'm thinking of switching to National if I can use free days in GCM. Thanks.
I just did a test reservation and they do appear to. Not sure if it's worth switching though unless you do enough renting to make executive elite. Midsize automatic is around 16-17 dollars plus the obligatory insurance. You can only redeem free days for full size and below if you're regular emerald club or executive.

As an executive elite, I can redeem free days for the $85 automatic SUV, which at that point may be worth it. Many people won't redeem free days until they get a $50+ value for them. I've seen free days save over $300 a day on some car classes as an executive elite for one way rentals.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:44 am

Will add an update to this thread.

Rented from National @ GCM last week. Surprisingly, they were significantly cheaper than all of the other agencies including the on-island locals. Had a standard car (Ford Fusion or similar) reserved, received a 2017 Kia Optima (RHD) with 1400 miles on it. The front and rear parking sensors were appreciated but there was no camera. Other than a lengthy experience in line at pickup time due to a difficult customer in front of me, I have no complaints about the experience. Averaged about 19 US MPG for the week.

Keep in mind that when renting at GCM, you must either have an International Driver's License or you will be charged $20 for a "local driving permit" by the agency.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:22 am

Any post-COVID experiences here?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tstad
Any post-COVID experiences here?
What are you looking to find out? It's pretty much the same.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 10:34 am

Ended up getting a brand new Nissan Kicks, which I felt was decent for booking Compact as EE in the Caribbean. Location had really good service and I was in and out in 5 min. Overall, it seemed like National keeps their cars SUPER clean at this location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.