Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepay gas, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by rabtech
The last time I forgot to fill up (I use National as well), they charged me about $12 total. The tank was 3/4 full. I didn't think that was such a bad deal. It was at MCO (Orlando).
I'll mirror that sentiment. I returned an Avalon at MCO after driving 140 miles over the weekend. The clerk checking me in was very nice and said it would be a $17 charge (reasonable) but that he would give me a $20 credit for being 'nice'. Worked out well for me!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DutchRyan
I'll mirror that sentiment. I returned an Avalon at MCO after driving 140 miles over the weekend. The clerk checking me in was very nice and said it would be a $17 charge (reasonable) but that he would give me a $20 credit for being 'nice'. Worked out well for me!
I had an opposite situation this week at LAX. The car was less than full and the agent put 7/8 on it. I filled up and drove the heck of it (Q50) but it still stayed full. They actually credited me back the gas. I almost fell over when he explained it to me.

I'm sure this is a big YMMV

-A
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:35 pm

For those of us who are sensitive to gas prices, I would suggest downloading the app GasBuddy. I find it very valuable.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Anaom
I had an opposite situation this week at LAX. The car was less than full and the agent put 7/8 on it. I filled up and drove the heck of it (Q50) but it still stayed full. They actually credited me back the gas. I almost fell over when he explained it to me.

I'm sure this is a big YMMV

-A
I am curious about this. There have been several times over the past few months where the car was not full when I picked it up and they said to bring it back at 3/4 or whatever level it was. That is often tricky to figure out in a car you drive once when you are trying to fill it to the correct level.

If I was to return it full, would I get a credit for the 1/4 extra (for the 3/4 example) on my bill.

Does anyone else have any insight into this as far as official policy?

If so, I am guessing it would be at the higher rate they charge upon return, rather than the prepay amount?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:20 pm

Regarding fuel, I had a situation with National at MCO a few years ago.

I always fill-up on Disney property before heading straight to MCO airport for return via 417. Forever they considered it a full tank upon return at the airport. Until one time...

That one time they charged me for something like only a 7/8 full tank. I was shocked only because it had never been considered "not full" before - probably 15+ times before. Plus the gauge was still on full. I said something to the clerk that booked me in and she made a comment about how far away Disney was. And she was having nothing with hearing it's never been this way before. She directed me to the customer service booth. I went there and they took care of the charge thankfully.

To this day, I still always fill up at Disney (usually cheaper on site) and I haven't ran into that issue again. So as with anything, it's all about how that person you're dealing with wants to handle the policies and procedures. Same reason I hate dealing with tellers - each one will deal with a transaction differently even though there are policies - the ATM always does it the same way (and without an attitude)!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I always fill up at the Hess station at Downtown Disney and make sure the tank is topped off.

As well, I never take 417, as it is the long way. When I get to MCO the tank is always showing full.

Try taking I-4 to the Beach (Bee) line.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Well, I feel safe saying this on FT - I like to fill up on my own because the gas charge that National (or Hertz, etc.) plops on there doesn't get me my 5% pay-at-the-pump cashback.

But really, I'm with the crowd that always fills up on my way to return. If I'm really running late or just can't find a gas station, the rates I've been charged for returning with 3/4 or 1/2 tank honestly haven't been that bad, and the extra few bucks was worth the saved time in those cases.

I do like paying the higher rate on return vs. prepaying, though, because I usually come out ahead paying $4.50/gal for a quarter tank than $3.50/gal for a full tank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.