Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pick Up (Truck) Expectations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Pick Up (Truck) Expectations

Hello!

I found a pretty sweet deal on a Pick Up (as National and Alamo Call it) at SEA for 15 days @ SEA (only $290). They show a RAM 1500 Quad Cab. I was wondering if anyone knows what else might be on the lot? I spoke to a National rep but he said he honestly only knew they had the RAM 1500 Crew Cab (vs Quad on their site). He also said they had the normal seats, not the squeezed small ones.

Anyone have any experiences on this? I honestly just rented this with the illusion of getting a RAM 1500 or a Silverado or something, It's only 2 of us, so I don't really car if its a Full Size Sedan or this.

Thanks!

(Anyone know on the fuel economy on these? It says on the site 25 Highway and 17 city)
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Can't speak for SEA, but locally have seen 1500, Silverado, F150, and even some F250's.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:14 pm

The RAM 1500's I've seen are indeed quad cabs. (I did a ride report on one last summer, see the index (I didn't take any pics unfortunately)). The rear seers have sufficient leg room for an adult but obviously aren't quite as spacious as a crew cab.

As previously stated, you will also see Silverados and F150s. I've also seen an F250 and the smaller Nissan truck on the lots. Personally I would take the RAM if I had the choice. They have 1 year of Sirius, powerful HEMI engine and wonderful suspension. That truck rode better than my Honda Civic.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:15 pm

Sorry to double post, but for fuel economy, I drove 100 miles of mixed city and freeway driving in 24 hrs (mostly freeway) and got about 17mpg in the RAM.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
SEA has a large selection of Nissan Titan's as well to choose from. Most of these are your only options with the occasional F-150 and even rarer Ram thrown into the mix.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:37 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
As someone who frequently chooses pickups from the ES (boo! hiss!), here is what I've seen and my snap observations of each. National usually seems to order pickups exclusively in Crew Cab (4-door) trim, usually with a short bed, and usually with 4WD. With rare exception, the trucks are half ton models.

Nissan Titan (V8) - rare, base models, not particularly nice to drive, I avoid them
Toyota Tundra (V8) - rare, typically SR5 or base trim, pleasant to drive and absolutely huge
Ford F150 (V8) - more common, typically XLT 4x4 trim, I tend to avoid as they are pretty lacking in features and not that nice to drive
GMC Sierra/Chevrolet Silverado (V6 and V8) - more common, typically LT/SLT trim (occasionally I've seen LS/SLE and WT models too). My #2 choice in terms of comfort and fuel economy.
Dodge Ram (V6 and V8) - very common, typically base or SLT trim (you can tell by badging) with either the V6 or the Hemi V8. V8 trucks regardless of trim have the dual exhaust while V6 trucks have a single pipe on the passenger side. The V6 is a dog and the gas mileage is not much better than the V8. Less common is the Big Horn edition with the V8, which adds some additional creature comforts like a reconfigurable gauge cluster and 1 year SiriusXM. You can spot the Big Horn edition by badging and larger wheels. My #1 choice for pickup rentals.

Even rarer are the non-full size trucks and the three quarter tons. These are the ones I've driven/seen:
Toyota Tacoma (V6)
Nissan Frontier (V6)
Dodge Ram 2500 (V8)
Ford F250 (V8 and Diesel)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by dwbf11
As someone who frequently chooses pickups from the ES (boo! hiss!), here is what I've seen and my snap observations of each. National usually seems to order pickups exclusively in Crew Cab (4-door) trim, usually with a short bed, and usually with 4WD. With rare exception, the trucks are half ton models.

Nissan Titan (V8) - rare, base models, not particularly nice to drive, I avoid them
Toyota Tundra (V8) - rare, typically SR5 or base trim, pleasant to drive and absolutely huge
Ford F150 (V8) - more common, typically XLT 4x4 trim, I tend to avoid as they are pretty lacking in features and not that nice to drive
GMC Sierra/Chevrolet Silverado (V6 and V8) - more common, typically LT/SLT trim (occasionally I've seen LS/SLE and WT models too). My #2 choice in terms of comfort and fuel economy.
Dodge Ram (V6 and V8) - very common, typically base or SLT trim (you can tell by badging) with either the V6 or the Hemi V8. V8 trucks regardless of trim have the dual exhaust while V6 trucks have a single pipe on the passenger side. The V6 is a dog and the gas mileage is not much better than the V8. Less common is the Big Horn edition with the V8, which adds some additional creature comforts like a reconfigurable gauge cluster and 1 year SiriusXM. You can spot the Big Horn edition by badging and larger wheels. My #1 choice for pickup rentals.

Even rarer are the non-full size trucks and the three quarter tons. These are the ones I've driven/seen:
Toyota Tacoma (V6)
Nissan Frontier (V6)
Dodge Ram 2500 (V8)
Ford F250 (V8 and Diesel)
Awesome information right there, thank you so much! It would be awesome to get a 250 with Diesel. I love Tundras, but I bet finding parking for such a large truck would be difficult.

Thank you everyone for their replies. And for Alaska737890 report from SEA. I've seen the TItan locally and I hope I don't get one of those.

I drive a Isuzu D-Max Diesel at home which is pretty basic, but again it would be nice to get a 250 Diesel
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
As an aside, be sure your insurance will cover rental trucks. Mine will not cover anything with an open bed.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit
As an aside, be sure your insurance will cover rental trucks. Mine will not cover anything with an open bed.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll take a look into it. @:-)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:33 pm

Dwb, are you sure that only the big horns have Sirius and reconfigurable gauges? The 1500 I had came with these features and I didn't think it was badged as a Big Horn.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
FYI, Progressive covers rental trucks. (Have made a claim on a rental truck.)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Sorry to revive a month old thread. I would expect that the answer would be no, but I'll ask anyways - Do any of the pickup trucks have tow packages? I would assume even if they did, the contract would specifically exclude me from towing with the vehicle.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:37 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
The Ram Big Horns have tow hitches (other pickups do not), as do the Expeditions, Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, and Yukon XL's (and some of the GC Limited Hemis). But you are correct, the contract expressly prohibits towing, and if you had an accident (even where you'd otherwise be covered by your own insurance), you'd be in violation of the Agreement thereby (probably) nullifying coverage. I don't think that would forbid you from using, say, a tow-hitch mounted bike rack though, if that's why you're asking.

Depending on what you need to tow and how far you need to go, it's almost always cheaper to rent from a U-Haul/Penske type place or find a buddy who'll lend you a tow vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.