Wiki Posts
Search

Overpriced upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Overpriced upgrades

I was in MSP earlier this week and was stalking the aisle looking for something decent. Because I've had OK luck in MSP before I thought I would either pay a low upgrade fee for something cool or grab something from the Aisle.

So on the Aisle they have a regular 300c. On alamo side they have a 300c AWD. I ask if they can give me that one, we have a long discussion. They wanted $500 extra for that car for 1 week because it was AWD!!! I'm EE! It's the same car class! I ended up grabbing a F150 off the standard emerald aisle.

Next time I'm at MSP I'll be sure to book a premium as I usually do so I have more ground to stand on. They are both PXAR correct? They tried to tell me they don't have to give a PXAR on a premium res.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:18 pm

They wanted $100 a day just for AWD? What a crock. Since it recently snowed I bet they were just trying to get every dime they could. I've seen plenty of people get upgrades here on the forum for $10-$50 a day depending their intial reservation and the car that was offered them initially.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
They tried to tell me they don't have to give a PXAR on a premium res.
They don't. Reserved Premium is PCAR, not PXAR.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:50 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This is right. But I think what OP is angry about is that both the regular 300C (which was available) and 300C AWD (on the Alamo side) are classified "PXAR" so technically the 300C (either in RWD or AWD flavor) would have been an upgrade all the same. Anecdotal reports suggest that the regular 300's (non-C) are PCARs and 300Cs are PXARs.

That said charging a premium for AWD/4WD vehicles during winter weather (or not making them available on the EA/ES) is pretty typical practice. That's why if AWD/4WD is necessary you should always book a class with that feature as a backup to ensure you get it. Frankly I'm surprised OP even got an F150 with 4WD!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I think I've always gotten away with AWD/4WD in winter since I've been EE, which I've been for almost 5 years, even at non aisle locations. I probably should have had the agent elevate to a manager.

On the ES they were pulling in patriots steadily and there was one Journey, which I was about to take when I saw the 300c AWD parked next to it in an Alamo stall. when I got back from my discussion with the counter it was gone. So AWD was available on the aisle just not plentiful.

In my books an F150 4WD is much more desirable vehicle during a winter storm than a 300c, so I don't understand what all the fuss was about. The real issue is probably that it was the Tuesday morning after presidents day, inventory is low.

They had one F150 at a time on the EA but I watched one go and another come, when I pulled out in mine I saw one F150 and one Silverado coming around. I should have taken the Silverado, but it's really a non issue.

My issue is how can they charge more for one PXAR vs another PXAR. Additionally do they actually have a different rate built in for PXAR than PCAR?

Last edited by Nitehawk; Feb 19, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's true, but I've never been denied a PXAR before on a premium res. And I almost always reserve a premium to be safe. This was the exception, and I've just learned my lesson!

Here is an example of another rental I had recently, at a franchise location in Northern Canada no less:

Vehicle Info

Model: 300
License #: 359***
Vehicle Class Driven: Premium Special Auto A/C
Vehicle Class Charged: Full Size 2/4 Door Car Auto A/C
State/Province: BC
Miles/Kms out: 712.0
Miles/Kms Driven: 805.0
Miles/Kms In: 1517.0

PXAR! and it was a regular 300AWD.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:15 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by alec_b
They wanted $100 a day just for AWD? What a crock. Since it recently snowed I bet they were just trying to get every dime they could. I've seen plenty of people get upgrades here on the forum for $10-$50 a day depending their intial reservation and the car that was offered them initially.
Agreed, while it may be justifiable for them to hold out for an up charge on the 300AWD and not give it out as a premium, maybe that was the only AWD sedan they had, $100 a day is completely ridiculous. I think MSP has quite a few pickup (AWD?) that they need to utilize since normally many (most?) would shun.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:13 am

Did you just talk to the lot agent? Was it everyone's favorite grumpy old man?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.