Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Free days and Credit Card Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Using Free days and Credit Card Insurance

I will be using a free day with National. Now I am looking at a bill of $0 i.e. there won't be any charge on the credit card. Just to get a charge on the credit card, if I purchase an option (say toll pass) will credit card insurance be available to me? Or does that only work when I am actually paying for the rental days without using any free days?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:10 pm

Credit card insurance only works when you pay for the rental day. Free days either require purchasing CDW, or using a contract code that includes it.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:21 pm

Are you sure it's going to be $0? There's almost ALWAYS a facility charge or a state fee that will trigger some kind of cost to enact the credit card insurance, if needed.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:58 pm

Many, if not most, credit cards T&Cs specifically exclude insurance coverage of rentals using free days.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Many, if not most, credit cards T&Cs specifically exclude insurance coverage of rentals using free days.
I don't remember seeing such language for the Amex Premium Car Rental Protection.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Are you sure it's going to be $0? There's almost ALWAYS a facility charge or a state fee that will trigger some kind of cost to enact the credit card insurance, if needed.
I just rented at LGA with a free day and it was $0!!! I couldn't believe it. It actually worked out to $8.33 because of Fuel, but had I returned the car full it would have be $0!!!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:07 am

I called Visa and they explicitly told me that the card's coverage is null and void if I use a free day as part of the rental, regardless of whether other charges result from the rental.

In fact, they told me that if I do a 3 day rental and one of those days is a free day from National, the coverage is null and void.

Call your card to be certain.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by hughc99
I called Visa and they explicitly told me that the card's coverage is null and void if I use a free day as part of the rental, regardless of whether other charges result from the rental.

In fact, they told me that if I do a 3 day rental and one of those days is a free day from National, the coverage is null and void.

Call your card to be certain.
I wonder if you'd get a different answer if you called back in?

Two examples:

1) You rent for a week and use a $35 coupon from National website?

99.9% sure insurance would cover you.

2) You rent for a weekend and use a "Free Weekend Day" from the National website (as opposed to one you earned).

So, I don't see why using a free day would not be the same as #2? Unless of course, I'm mistaken and #2 isn't covered, which is ridiculous because you're just using a coupon available to anyone to drop the rate down.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I wonder if you'd get a different answer if you called back in?

Two examples:

1) You rent for a week and use a $35 coupon from National website?

2) You rent for a weekend and use a "Free Weekend Day" from the National website (as opposed to one you earned).

So, I don't see why using a free day would not be the same as #2? Unless of course, I'm mistaken and #2 isn't covered, which is ridiculous because you're just using a coupon available to anyone to drop the rate down.
I spent quite a bit of time on the phone hashing through these details. I don't 100% trust that the person who took my call is absolutely correct, but I err on the side of caution.

For example, I asked what would happen if I used the contract number and coupon code from the Visa Signature website that gets me a free weekend day. She said I'd be covered.

I asked what would happen if I booked the exact same reservation, but instead used a free day I had earned from National. She said I would NOT be covered.

I asked her to explain the difference, she said that in the first case, the "free day" would be counted as a discount from Visa's perspective and I would be paying for the entire rental cost. In the second case, the "free day" would be considered part of the payment for the rental and therefore the card would not be covering 100% of the rental.

IMO it's ridiculous and totally screwed up but that's what I was told. I'd love to actually get clarification on this in writing.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:44 am

I have looked at certain cards they will exclude free days, however when it's included it should read like this in the service agreement

You are covered if you receive a “free rental” as a result of a promotion where you have had to make previous vehicle rentals and if each such previous rental was entirely paid.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Slightly different question: my personal auto insurance covers rental cars. Does this generally include free days? (I don't see why they would care, but what do I know)
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's a fine question for your insurance company or broker. Nobody here knows the details of your personal insurance.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's a fine question for your insurance company or broker.
Yep, and just to share the data point, it is covered regardless of payment.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
a one two free day show's up as a coupon on the receipt... Can Visa tell the difference?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I am just finishing up closing a "damage" claim where I used free days and charged the incidentals on my AA Citi Visa. Upon return of the car I was shocked to be told that there was "damage." I am a 10+ year business traveler EE and always do a walk around. The "damage" was normal wear and tear IMO but that is not the main info I want to share.

The language in the benefits section reads that the "entire cost" of the rental must be charged in order for the insurance benefit to apply. My argument is that "entire cost" is not defined and the insurance provider is interpreting it to their advantage (as one would expect). The reality is that I did charge the "entire cost" which I owed.

My personal auto insurance agreed to pay the negligible amount which was over the deductible. They suggested I place a claim with the CC for the remaining amount which National wanted me to pay.

The claim with Citi's carrier/provider was eventually denied and the reason was that I did not pay the "entire cost" of the rental. When I finally got through to a human I was told that there was an exception, if at least one day was charged the insurance benefit would be in effect. There was no such language in the Citi provided description of the rental car insurance benefit so I would not have known anyway. Also, there was definitely no language eliminating the benefit if part of the rental was paid for using free days.

In the end it appears that my side has prevailed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.