Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

USA airport locations without Emerald Aisle

Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To my surprise, I discovered this weekend that SLC doesn't have an Emerald Aisle. I had to go to the counter and I couldn't pick my own car; despite some cajoling, the best I could do on my Executive rez was a Chevy Equinox (which I don't like, I think they're under-powered).

At least the cars are in the adjoining parking lot (no bus needed), so it wasn't all bad.

Are there other major USA airports without Emerald Aisle service? I was surprised by SLC.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by iahphx
To my surprise, I discovered this weekend that SLC doesn't have an Emerald Aisle. I had to go to the counter and I couldn't pick my own car; despite some cajoling, the best I could do on my Executive rez was a Chevy Equinox (which I don't like, I think they're under-powered).

At least the cars are in the adjoining parking lot (no bus needed), so it wasn't all bad.

Are there other major USA airports without Emerald Aisle service? I was surprised by SLC.
I used National today at SLC and was also surprised to not have the Executive Aisle. I also ended up with a Black Equinox, although in fairness I was offered the option to select from about 5 different options, all of which were equally boring.

Compared to Hertz at SLC, I will still happily use National.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
National's Emerald Club rules list U.S. and Canadian airports that offer Emerald Aisle service. All other airports will be without.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
It's off the beaten path for most, but HRL (Harlingen, TX - Rio Grande Interntaional) is a counter-only location.

I was somewhat spoiled by the Aisle locations offering a vast selection of anything I want to drive (which usually included SUVs and MiniVans) but having to specifically book that at this location. Had to pay about double here for a vehicle on vacation earlier this year.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ohange
It's off the beaten path for most, but HRL (Harlingen, TX - Rio Grande Interntaional) is a counter-only location.

I was somewhat spoiled by the Aisle locations offering a vast selection of anything I want to drive (which usually included SUVs and MiniVans) but having to specifically book that at this location. Had to pay about double here for a vehicle on vacation earlier this year.
I feel your pain; I have 3 kids and almost ALWAYS book with National for family trips to get the larger vehicles on the Aisle. As anyone who's ever wanted to book a minivan knows, these cars usually have ridiculous rates online -- often more than 2x the price of a full sized car. (I guess the rental cars consider them to be a niche market that they can exploit.) When there aren't big vehicles on the Emerald Aisle and you need/want one, you feel "disappointed."
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
SBA - Santa Barbara (Goleta) Airport doesn't have an aisle. They have a space marked Emerald Aisle but it usually has a VIP car in it. The folks at the counter usually ask what vehicle you would like though and try to accommodate when possible. They usually have at least 1 BMW or Mercedes to upsell as well as a Luxury car and/or convertible.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
PIT and SLC are two of the locations that surprise me most. Others I have used in the last few months include ERI, CHO, CHS, and LYH. None of those surprise me much.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
CHS and the neighborhood locations in Manhattan
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
I feel your pain; I have 3 kids and almost ALWAYS book with National for family trips to get the larger vehicles on the Aisle. As anyone who's ever wanted to book a minivan knows, these cars usually have ridiculous rates online -- often more than 2x the price of a full sized car. (I guess the rental cars consider them to be a niche market that they can exploit.) When there aren't big vehicles on the Emerald Aisle and you need/want one, you feel "disappointed."

Bingo. You said it. After having rented a fully decked out Tahoe from the Executive row for my corp rate for a week, going on vacation and having to cough up almost $800 (after taxes, etc.) for a minivan for the week was painful.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
The lack of Aisles in upstate NY airports always surprises me a bit -- none in BUF, ROC, SYR, or ALB. I'd also wager that the pilot airports for the new "virtual aisle" app -- OMA, RIC, and TUL -- are probably fairly busy locations.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by dtremit
The lack of Aisles in upstate NY airports always surprises me a bit -- none in BUF, ROC, SYR, or ALB. I'd also wager that the pilot airports for the new "virtual aisle" app -- OMA, RIC, and TUL -- are probably fairly busy locations.
Wait - What? BUF doesn't have Aisle? They must have taken it out, because I rented there in 2012 and they did... I just checked, and it was definitely an Aisle rental because I paid for ICAR and drove a FCAR.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Wait - What? BUF doesn't have Aisle? They must have taken it out, because I rented there in 2012 and they did... I just checked, and it was definitely an Aisle rental because I paid for ICAR and drove a FCAR.
I don't think so. They have a counter for emerald club members out in the garage (like PIT). Has been that way for quite a while.

Your receipt would have shown exactly what you said if you rented an FCAR. You always pay the ICAR rate, even at non-aisle locations.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:02 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I don't think so. They have a counter for emerald club members out in the garage (like PIT). Has been that way for quite a while.

Your receipt would have shown exactly what you said if you rented an FCAR. You always pay the ICAR rate, even at non-aisle locations.
I rent at BUF regularly, more often in the past. They don't have an Aisle but there is a counter in the garage where you can checkin rather than use the main counter. They are very nice in upgrading from what was reserved though sometimes out of necessity since the inventory is highly variable - last time I rented they had no sedans and I got a Grand Cherokee just missed an MKX and Infiniti FX.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
I rent at BUF regularly, more often in the past. They don't have an Aisle but there is a counter in the garage where you can checkin rather than use the main counter. They are very nice in upgrading from what was reserved though sometimes out of necessity since the inventory is highly variable - last time I rented they had no sedans and I got a Grand Cherokee just missed an MKX and Infiniti FX.
Now that you mention it, I did have to stop at the booth in the garage. But you're right - they are pretty generous with upgrades.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, National Emerald Exec-Elite; Hertz Five Star
Cool MSN...ugh...

MSN doesn't have an Emerald Aisle, but I suppose it doesn't surprise me because it's more of a medium-size airport. DL and F9 are the only two airlines that offer mainline jet service; UA and AA fly RJs and US Airways is nowhere to be found.

The single worst thing about MSN is that it's not owned by National corporate. Rather, it's owned by an in-state GM dealer (who I believe owns the GRB, CWA, MKE and RHI National locations, as well) so it's almost all GM cars there. That has historically translated into a whole lotta old Impalas.

The new Malibus are fine and I haven't driven a 2014 Impala, but Equinoxes stink (IMHO) and they have proliferated there.

As an Emerald Exec, they once offered to "upgrade" me to a three year old Saturn Vue. Niiiiiiice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.