2014 Ford Escape Titanium Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
2014 Ford Escape Titanium Ride Report

Standard Options
1.6L EcoBoost 4-cyl. Turbo with 173HP
Was equipped with optional 2.0L EcoBoost GTDI turbocharged inline-4 engine with 231 HP
22/30 mpg 1.6L AWD
21/28 mpg 2.0L AWD
Premium unleaded (recommended)
Rear parking sensors
Rear view camera
8 -way power driver seat
Heated front seats
Remote Start
Keyless ignition/entry
Sony 10-speaker sound system

Pros
Very nicely equipped
2.0L engine is very peppy
Nice sound system
Comfortable ride

Cons
This particular one did not have Power Panorama Roof
Manual passenger seat
I had to return it

I was pleasantly surprised to find this particular vehicle in the Enterprise return area, especially with only 1,500 miles on it. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. Here is some potential good news for National car renters. The middle of the road SEL trim has been discontinued for 2014 for the Escape, Fusion, and Focus. This leaves just the base, SE, and Titanium trims. Hopefully this means more Titanium trim vehicles in the fleet.

This particular Escape was equipped with the optional 2.0L Ecoboost engine. The 1.6L has some pep to it, but this feels like Red Bull has been added to the fuel mix, with the extra 60 horses under the hood. The only downside is the hit on the mpg. The mpg figures given were achieved using 93 octane fuel. With regular unleaded I averaged 24 mpg, on mostly highway miles.

This car is very comfortable with the leather seats. The suspension is a little firm, but that is expected for small SUV. Steering is light and very responsive. Acceleration is very quick with the 2.0L turbo, with 0-60 in 7 seconds. By comparison the 1.6L takes 9.4 seconds.

The Titanium Escape comes standard with a 10 speaker Sony HD radio with 8" LCD color touchscreen. Audio inputs include 2 USB ports, SD card reader, RCA video/audio input jacks, auxiliary audio input and iPod/iPhone integration as well as bluetooth. A 6 month Sirius/XM trial is included. The system is capable of 355 watts total power, and will not disappoint. The music has depth, and the bass is clear and powerful.

The Titanium trim starts at $29,100. It is so nicely equipped there are few options. This particular one had the 2.0L engine installed for an additional $1,195, for an as equipped price of $30,295. Other options are the panorama roof ($1,495) and the Titanium Technology package ($1,735), which includes Bi-xenon HID headlamps with Signature Lighting, Blind spot information system (BLIS) with cross traffic alert, rain-sensing wipers and active park assist.

In addition to keyless start, it also has keyless entry. As long as the key is on you, you can unlock the door by just approaching and attempting to open the door. It's a fun way to impress the kids. You can also open the rear liftgate by sticking your left foot in and shaking it all about.

With 34 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats up, and 68 feet with the rear seats down, there is ample room for groceries or hunting/ camping trips. On the back of the center console is a standard 110 volt AC power plug, making road trips a little easier for the little ones.

As equipped this is easily in my top 5 of car rentals. If you added the panorama roof, and the Titanium technology package, I would buy it and quit renting. It was an extremely fun car to drive, and would easily rent again, if given the opportunity.

Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Both U.S. and Canadian-market 2014 Escape Titaniums have the 2.0L ecoboost engine as standard. See the Titanium badge on the tailgate and know you're good to go, go, go!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Both U.S. and Canadian-market 2014 Escape Titaniums have the 2.0L ecoboost engine as standard. See the Titanium badge on the tailgate and know you're good to go, go, go!
I believe the 1.6 is actually standard on Titaniums now. New change for '14.

Those headlamps don't look like bi-xenon HIDs though. They look more like the standard halogens. Also they do not appear to have the LED accent lights.

Could be a late model '13 with the SEL Technology Package.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Aug 5, 2013 at 10:00 am
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I believe the 1.6 is actually standard on Titaniums now. New change for '14.

Those headlamps don't look like bi-xenon HIDs though. They look more like the standard halogens. Also they do not appear to have the LED accent lights.

Could be a late model '13 with the SEL Technology Package.
Ford actually combined both the SEL and Titanium for 2014. Base Titaniums are SEL's with Titanium options. The bi-xenon headlights are part of the $1,295 401A package.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Alaska737890
Ford actually combined both the SEL and Titanium for 2014. Base Titaniums are SEL's with Titanium options. The bi-xenon headlights are part of the $1,295 401A package.
I misread Kevin's post. Thought he said his rental was equipped with the Titanium technology Package which included HIDs.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:28 pm

2014 Ford Escape Review/Ride Report

http://www.carrentingreviews.com/201...ord-escape-se/

IFAR
21/28 for 2.0L EcoBoost/AWD

PROS:

- 10-way power driver’s seat
- Standard rearview camera
- National still ordering Escapes with 2.0L EcoBoost
- 6 months Sirius subscription

CONS:

- Rearview camera display too far from driver
- Button-itis on the center stack

CONCLUSION: The Ford Escape adds a few extra standard features for the 2014 model year.

Still my favorite IFAR rental. Would like to try the new '14 Jeep Cherokee.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
I am currently driving the 2014 SE trim in YYC, they do not have backup camera, the sync is totally useless, my initial pairing with Bluetooth took 15 minutes. You need to manually switch to Bluetooth audio after car restart. I have yet to be able to find a way to activate Bluetooth audio from the panel after 4 days. (the viewing angle is crap also)

If comparing the 14 Cherokee lerado to this(both without backup camera) Cherokee still beat Escape by a mile and half.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Belinik
I am currently driving the 2014 SE trim in YYC, they do not have backup camera, the sync is totally useless, my initial pairing with Bluetooth took 15 minutes. You need to manually switch to Bluetooth audio after car restart. I have yet to be able to find a way to activate Bluetooth audio from the panel after 4 days. (the viewing angle is crap also)

If comparing the 14 Cherokee lerado to this(both without backup camera) Cherokee still beat Escape by a mile and half.
That's odd that your '14 SE doesn't have a backup camera. Maybe Canadian Escapes are different?

Cherokee Laredo is a completely different rental class though.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Belinik
The base sync stinks. I had one in a '14 Fusion this weekend and it was like ten steps to switch to bluetooth, every time you start the car. Some of the higher trims have a touchscreen sync, which is infinitely better, and is a step or two to switch to bluetooth.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
That's odd that your '14 SE doesn't have a backup camera. Maybe Canadian Escapes are different?

Cherokee Laredo is a completely different rental class though.
my bad, I somehow automatically think cherokee = laredo as the station agent always call it that way. Forgot there is a smaller C.

Yes, a few car I found in Canada has a different trim/option then the one posted in your car report.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Oddly, there are differences, but this isn't one of them. Camera is standard on the S in the US and the SE in Canada.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by KevinMD
The base sync stinks. I had one in a '14 Fusion this weekend and it was like ten steps to switch to bluetooth, every time you start the car. Some of the higher trims have a touchscreen sync, which is infinitely better, and is a step or two to switch to bluetooth.
Does saying "Bluetooth Audio" not work? Also I would assume the 2014's will have AppLink as well letting you use Sirius Internet Radio, Spotify, etc... via Sync + Voice Command.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:42 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
http://www.carrentingreviews.com/201...ord-escape-se/

Still my favorite IFAR rental. Would like to try the new '14 Jeep Cherokee.
Very much agree. Definitely my favorite small SUV.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0L Ecoboost AWD Ride Report

Ford Escape SE Ecoboost by James Benedict Brown, on Flickr

Classification: IFAR
Experienced MPG: 22 (highway)

PROS

- Good looking from every angle except the front
- Solid and tactile materials throughout
- (Mostly) intuitive and driver–centric cabin
- Excellent blind spot coverage via wing mirror inserts
- Plethora of spacious cabin storage, including deep bin under the armrest with USB and audio jack
- Full length sunshine roof
- Big trunk
- 6 months basic (200 channel) Sirius subscription
- Smooth and powerful engine
- "Intelligent" AWD effective and unnoticeable in distributing power in wintry conditions.

CONS

- Not convinced about the front styling. Squinty headlights.
- Despite reversing camera and blind spot mirrors, still terrible visibility behind the driver, especially with tinted windows
- Reversing camera is tiny
- Four adults plus a child is still crowded; think of this as a Focus-plus for an accurate impression of interior space.

CONCLUSION

A few weeks ago I posted here looking for help securing an AWD vehicle in the Alamo IFAR category at MSP. I'm only an infrequent visitor to family in Northern MN. I was delighted to find this vehicle - brand new with 9 miles on the clock - in Alamo's IFAR selection just before Christmas.

In short - a great drive. Comfortable (none of the longer trip problems with the seat experienced by other FT members) and very responsive engine. Very cramped in the back with two adults and a child, so as I've suggested above it's worth thinking of this as a plus size Focus. Cabin warms up quickly in the cold (-30s so far, worse to come) although highway MPG seems to be taking a hit in this climate.

Most reassuring for me, a clueless Limey, is the AWD system. I've only needed it a few times, mostly on uncleared country roads and private driveways, but the drivetrain distributes power from front to rear wheels quickly and intuitively.

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Dec 29, 2013 at 8:59 am Reason: Photo added
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:18 pm

So I finally found an Escape Titanium today, after 5 years of renting. Dunno why, but they just don't make it to DCA very much.

http://www.carrentingreviews.com/201...cape-titanium/

Had just dropped off a CX5 which was no comparison. The EcoBoost 2.0L + Sport mode = a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.