Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Email: "ONE TWO FREE preregistration is open now"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: m907
- No 1-2-F credit for options on 1-day rental (SXM, etc)
- If applying 1-2-F coupons for a rental, as least one day must be paid in order for a National credit to be gained; but at least two- to get any 1-2-F points for anything associated with that rental!
- On longer rentals , 300 points are earned every 4 days

2018-2019: August 23, 2018 through February 28, 2019 - coupons valid until June 13, 2019

2017-2018: August 24, 2017 through February 28 2018, with 12F coupons valid until June 15 2018

2016-2017: August 25, 2016 through February 28 2017

2015-2016: August 2015 through end January 2016, with 12F coupons valid until June 15th 2016
Print Wikipost

Email: "ONE TWO FREE preregistration is open now"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by flightrisk
I did switch to an earlier flight but National would not honor any of the coupons at return time. They are insistent {both the location and customer service} that the rental must be completed by 6/13.
Did they bring up any issue when you picked up? If not, does the printed contract (assuming you have one) show the discounted price?

I have a return (picked up 6/13 using coupons) in a few days, and I'll report back if they do honor the discounts.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ezak
Did they bring up any issue when you picked up? If not, does the printed contract (assuming you have one) show the discounted price?

I have a return (picked up 6/13 using coupons) in a few days, and I'll report back if they do honor the discounts.
You'll be fine. I've been doing this for the past 3 years to use the remaining one-two free coupons.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29888643-post829.html
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kxc262
You'll be fine. I've been doing this for the past 3 years to use the remaining one-two free coupons.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29888643-post829.html
As I said, I picked up on 6/13 and returned on 6/16 and it DID NOT WORK FOR ME THIS YEAR. I have the reservation but no printed contract (I didn't even know that was an option?) and the location and customer service were adamant that the car had to be returned by the expiration date. Maybe something changed this year or it is YMMV, but I will not try nor recommend taking the risk in the future. I will try customer service again, but this is definitely more hassle than it's worth.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
As I said, I picked up on 6/13 and returned on 6/16 and it DID NOT WORK FOR ME THIS YEAR. I have the reservation but no printed contract (I didn't even know that was an option?) and the location and customer service were adamant that the car had to be returned by the expiration date. Maybe something changed this year or it is YMMV, but I will not try nor recommend taking the risk in the future. I will try customer service again, but this is definitely more hassle than it's worth.
Pretty sure you picked up after they expired. I'm almost certain the coupons expire at 11:59 EST.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Pretty sure you picked up after they expired. I'm almost certain the coupons expire at 11:59 EST.
T&C says 11:59 CDT but I think you’re right, their system is probably set up for 11:59 EST expiration.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:31 pm

I’ve been able to get a printed contract when I drive out of the gate. This way I know if there is any discrepancy between the contract and the reservation total.

May I ask what time (and time zone) on 6/13 did you pick up? Looks like that might be the crucial issue here.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I had the same problem with a one day rental I started on 06/13 at YVR. On return, I was charged the full amount. I picked up at 7:05pm pacific. The coupon showed expired in their system, but when I showed them my reservation with the coupon applied they had no problem adjusting it.

Ron.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:23 pm

I’ve been able to get a printed contract when I drive out of the gate. This way I know if there is any discrepancy between the contract and the reservation total.

May I ask what time (and time zone) on 6/13 did you pick up? Looks like that might be the crucial issue here.
11:15 CT. I had rebooked to an earlier flight but it was delayed an hour. But newfbc picking up at 7:05 PT should've been well before the expiration date in any US time zone. Maybe they are using UTC? I've talked with 3 agents and 2 "managers", on and off-shore support, and was only able to get one "courtesy" free day despite the reservation clearly showing 3 free days applied. Someone probably notated it in my record so I don't think I'm getting anything further from National.

ezak , the fact that you resolved it with an agent at checkout probably means you're in the clear.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:34 pm

11:15 CT. I had rebooked to an earlier flight but it was delayed an hour. But newfbc picking up at 7:05 PT should've been well before the expiration date in any US time zone. Maybe they are using UTC? I've talked with 3 agents and 2 "managers", on and off-shore support, and was only able to get one "courtesy" free day despite the reservation clearly showing 3 free days applied. Someone probably notated it in my record so I don't think I'm getting anything further from National.

ezak , the fact that you resolved it with an agent at checkout probably means you're in the clear.
If a 7:05PT pick-up shows coupons expired as well, then it's definitely even earlier than 11:59ET. It could be UTC, but that doesn't really make sense for an US based company. Anyway, it sucks that National doesn't honor your coupons even after contacting customer service. I was in HNL (which isn't a grab and go location) so I had to talk to an agent, otherwise I would've been in the same boat as you. Because of the manual adjustment, the agent said she cannot print a contract, so I'm not holding anything other than the original reservation to support my coupons being valid. Guess I'll have to find out at return tomorrow.

Just so that we have more clarity for people in similar situations next year: anyone picked up before (but not on) 6/13 and returned after 6/13 using coupons? I wonder if these rentals have issues as well.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:00 pm

Same issue: tried picking up at a non-Aisle location on 6/13 at 5:30pm Pacific. Counter agents said they couldn't apply the coupon as system said it had expired.

Customer Service said the same thing: that the return had to be by 6/13 for the coupon to be valid. Was given a free day to resolve the issue.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by keithguy
Same issue: tried picking up at a non-Aisle location on 6/13 at 5:30pm Pacific. Counter agents said they couldn't apply the coupon as system said it had expired.

Customer Service said the same thing: that the return had to be by 6/13 for the coupon to be valid. Was given a free day to resolve the issue.
I'm pretty sure the FAQs on the website said you had to pick up by 11:59 PM CDT but obviously it was not implemented that way.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:35 am

Reporting back: my return today (6/18) went smoothly as apparently the agent at pick-up already adjusted the rate manually, even though the coupons showed as expired.

For future years, I'd probably advise returning the car before coupons expire, since whether National honors them is high YMMV otherwise.

Also I do wish the promotion website is more clear on this issue. Right now, neither the T&C or the FAQ specify if car needs to be picked up before coupon expiration.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:17 am

Reporting back: my return today (6/18) went smoothly as apparently the agent at pick-up already adjusted the rate manually, even though the coupons showed as expired.

For future years, I'd probably advise returning the car before coupons expire, since whether National honors them is high YMMV otherwise.

Also I do wish the promotion website is more clear on this issue. Right now, neither the T&C or the FAQ specify if car needs to be picked up before coupon expiration.
Glad it worked out. Sounds like you had a great agent that made everything whole.

I also think National needs to fix their reservation software to allow/prevent reservations based on their rules. By the way, I can't see their FAQ any more, but the Terms & Conditions seems to suggest our interpretation. I read "rent a Compact through Fullsize car starting August 23, 2018, through June 13, 2019 " as allowing rentals that start 8/23 through rentals that start 6/13.

It's not clearly specified if multiple coupons can be used which is probably why they were only willing to credit one free day.

(Quoting the whole section for posterity although only the first paragraph is relevant. All bolding is theirs.)

Redemption of Earned Free Rental Days:

Earned Free Rental Day redemption begins for registered Members the later of August 23, 2018, or 1–2 weeks after a Member reaches 600 earned points. To redeem a Free Rental Day, visit promos.emeraldclub.com/12Free/2018 to view your Free Rental Day coupons, click redeem, and then rent a Compact through Fullsize car starting August 23, 2018, through June 13, 2019. Points and Free Rental Day coupons will expire at 11:59 p.m. on June 13, 2019 CDT.

To take advantage of this Promotion, make a reservation at least 23 hours in advance. No more than three Free Rental Days may be redeemed toward one rental of three or more days. The Free Rental Coupon cannot be combined with any other discount and cannot be applied to a previous or existing reservation. Renter and Additional Driver(s) must meet renting branch’s standard rental qualifications. Additional mandatory charges may be imposed, including, but not limited to, a customer facility charge, airport concession fee, tourism commission assessment, vehicle license recovery fee, or other government imposed taxes or fees. For more information, including an estimate of your total rental cost, visit our Internet Web site at www.nationalcar.com. Earned Free Rental Day coupons may be redeemed to cover base rate (Time and Mileage) for a rental day but does not apply to taxes, surcharges, license recoupment/air tax recovery, concession recoupment fees, airport and airport facility fees, fuel, one-way rental charge, additional driver fee, protection products, or other optional items, which are the responsibility of the renter. For rentals in the United States, please check your auto insurance policy and/or credit card agreement for rental vehicle coverage. The redemption of earned free days is limited to participating locations in the 50 United States, including the District of Columbia, as well as in Argentina, Aruba, Belize, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curaçao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, St. Maarten, Surinam, Tortola, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, Australia, and New Zealand. We cannot accept the coupon if it has been purchased, bartered or sold for cash.
ezak likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Got my pre-registration email today!
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Got my pre-registration email today!
For 2019-2020? What are the dates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.