Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you refill with E85?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Do you refill with E85?

I was filling up my car on Friday, and when I opened the gas door, there was the bright yellow E85 cap. I checked the pump, had E85. I had driven all week and was nearly empty. Regular was $4.30. E85 was $3.40.

I know that E85 gets much lower fuel mileage because of the lower energy density. That is one reason it is less expensive. But, I seldom see a 90 cent difference.

That was really tempting for a nearly empty tank. So, my question, how many save a few bucks and buy the E85 knowing the next renter is getting a full tank of lower gas mileage?

By the way, to whoever gets my car. Sorry. 90 cents is 90 cents.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Where was this that gas is $4.30 a gallon? Chicago? (Regular is $3.29 here at the moment).

I have been "shorted" on gas so many times in a rental car that I have no moral dilemma with filling up on E85. I've done it a few times at MKE, where most gas stations near the airport carry E85. My business vehicle here in RIC takes E85, but we have no public gas stations that carry it so I haven't been able to test the real-world fuel economy.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Where was this that gas is $4.30 a gallon? Chicago? (Regular is $3.29 here at the moment).

I have been "shorted" on gas so many times in a rental car that I have no moral dilemma with filling up on E85. I've done it a few times at MKE, where most gas stations near the airport carry E85. My business vehicle here in RIC takes E85, but we have no public gas stations that carry it so I haven't been able to test the real-world fuel economy.
Yes, Chicago near the airport. I checked when I picked up the car and knew the price. I often will fill up away from the airport and then top off close. Even then, the best price I could find in the burbs was over $4 so I just waited.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If I had a car that took E85, I'd fill up with that.

It wouldn't be a moral dilemma to me: I would assume that any renter would naturally fill up the car with the cheapest acceptable fuel for the car. I'd assume that I got it full of E85 to begin with.

I don't put premium fuel in a rental car either. I assume it has been given to me full of standard-octane fuel (whether the previous renter bought it or the agency filled it up themselves), so that's how I return it.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have done it, 2 tanks on the same rental actually. I saw no real hit to mileage in a <10k miles Impala so had no problem returning the car with corn squeezings. I think most of the impact is later in the vehicle's life after it has left the fleet, one more reason not to buy a used rental car.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:25 pm

I saw that filling up my rental for return, but just filled it up with regular gas. I thought about it for a few seconds though.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
By the way, to whoever gets my car. Sorry. 90 cents is 90 cents.
I'll fill it with whatever's cheapest. Even if the car doesn't say it takes E85, its going to get E85 if its available and cheap.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by warreng24
I'll fill it with whatever's cheapest. Even if the car doesn't say it takes E85, its going to get E85 if its available and cheap.
Not every car can run E85 - it's still a small fraction, really, even if confined to newer veichles of the daily rental car fleet. Using E85 in cars that lack a fuel sensor and robust anti-corrosion fuel lines will lead to very expensive damage.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by warreng24
Don't do that! The engine needs to be designed to take E85.

Also even if it's E85 compatible it's not reccomended to mix the fuel types (i.e. if you want to use E85 you should use up most of the Regular Gas first before switching types)

Using a blend that’s more than 10 percent ethanol in a non-flex-fuel vehicle could damage the engine and fuel system because ethanol is more corrosive. E85 vehicles have different components installed at the factory to prevent such damage.
http://ask.cars.com/2010/08/does-the...s-engine-.html

Last edited by tkyoshi; Apr 30, 2013 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow. Not that I needed any reminder to never buy an ex-rental car for my own, I now have another reason not to: people putting E85 in cars that aren't designed for it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I tend to forget when I happen to pick up an E85 car in another city, since E85 stations are not that common in many parts of the country. But when I was renting cars at MDW/ORD, I'd always fill up with E85 at my regular gas station before heading to the airport.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Even though I rarely see E85 available, I always use 87-octane fuel since I just thought it was what was expected of me. I wonder if there is an E85 station around here somewhere -- would explain why I got <15 mpg in a V6 Fusion last year

-J.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:28 pm

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
If the car says it can take E85 then I'll try my best to fill it with E85. I usually save ~$0.70/gallon and for local rentals, there's a gas station with E85 on the way home. But, if the car doesn't specifically say E85/Flexifuel etc, then it'll get good old 87, often from a no-name/independent gas station.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I've done it a couple times. I won't go out of my way to fill it up with E85, but if it's available nearby and quite a bit cheaper, that's what I get.

I would NEVER put E85 in any of our vehicles, or in a rental car that I was going to be driving for a while. The cheaper price isn't cheap enough to offset the poor fuel economy you get with E85. I ran a test tank of E85 with our Suburban and the fuel economy dropped from 15 MPG to less than 10 MPG. Driving with 10 MPG (vs. 15 MPG), you have to use 50% more fuel to go the same distance. I've never seen a big enough price difference to even come close to making it worthwhile.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:28 am

Do you use E85 in cars that take it?

it I'm curious who puts in E85 in their car if they happen to rent one that is a FFVII. Just noticed the 2017 Ford Explorer with the 3.5L V6 can and I have actually noticed better gas mileage so far with E85 than 87 octane gas. With 87 I was averaging 15 Mpg and with E85 I am averaging 20 Mpg. This is mostly highway driving.i know they state E85 to have worse gas milage but factoring in its about $0.35 cheaper figured I'll give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.