Search

Cars at DCA (post 03/13)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:44 pm
s3n

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Got a '13 Lincoln MKZ.

3.7L base trim, no giant retractable sunroof unfortunately.

It's striking! Nicely differentiated from the Fusion. Ride Report on its way!!
Hey Dr,

I'm curious how you end up with premium cars. Are you booking premium rate, opting to pay the upgrade fee should you take something off that row, or asking really politely?

I've had gate agents offer me a premium option if I express polite dissatisfaction with the aisle selection (one guy knows my preference for the Genesis), but I'd appreciate any tips you have to share!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s3n
Hey Dr,

I'm curious how you end up with premium cars. Are you booking premium rate, opting to pay the upgrade fee should you take something off that row, or asking really politely?

I've had gate agents offer me a premium option if I express polite dissatisfaction with the aisle selection (one guy knows my preference for the Genesis), but I'd appreciate any tips you have to share!
I have a very good relationship with the location, having rented from DCA for the past five years.

It helps to rent from a single rental office, preferably a large corporate one. Get to know the employees, and they'll help you out when they can.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Apr 10, 2013 at 3:59 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

They had 2 x '13 Lincoln MKZs yesterday, they had one today too.

3.7L base trim, LCAR.

EA:

Had a Fusion Hybrid

Premium/Upgrade:

1 x '13 Buick Lacrosse
1 x '13 Buick Enclave
Aforementioned MKZ
2 x Genesis
1 x JX35
Challengers

Last edited by drzoidberg; Apr 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:21 pm

Well.. I had just about the opposite experience from when Dr. Z comes!

Got on the lot just after 8 armed with my premium reservation. Premium aisle: nothing. Greeter approached and I told him I had a premium reservation and he offered a 300, Maxima, Challenger, or Genesis from the ES... Gee thanks!

We milled about for a bit.. ES had the usual.. An Explorer XLT, a Taurus SEL,
EA had 3 200's, one of which was a convertible. Asked the greeter if I could have anything from the row of Mercedes, BMW and Infiniti grills I saw peeking out from just over the enterprise line adjacent from the ES.. No go..

Poked around a bit more and found an SRX and 2013 MKZ (was it yours Dr. Z) in the Alamo standard aisle. Asked about those and was told the MKZ was reserve, but he relented on the SRX. It is Georgia plates and well worn with 20,000 miles. 2012. It has lots of body damage and the gas wasn't full. This seemed to aggravate the gate agent greatly.

I still got a good upgrade, but maybe my expectations were a bit too high. :-)
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Well.. I had just about the opposite experience from when Dr. Z comes!

Got on the lot just after 8 armed with my premium reservation. Premium aisle: nothing. Greeter approached and I told him I had a premium reservation and he offered a 300, Maxima, Challenger, or Genesis from the ES... Gee thanks!

We milled about for a bit.. ES had the usual.. An Explorer XLT, a Taurus SEL,
EA had 3 200's, one of which was a convertible. Asked the greeter if I could have anything from the row of Mercedes, BMW and Infiniti grills I saw peeking out from just over the enterprise line adjacent from the ES.. No go..

Poked around a bit more and found an SRX and 2013 MKZ (was it yours Dr. Z) in the Alamo standard aisle. Asked about those and was told the MKZ was reserve, but he relented on the SRX. It is Georgia plates and well worn with 20,000 miles. 2012. It has lots of body damage and the gas wasn't full. This seemed to aggravate the gate agent greatly.

I still got a good upgrade, but maybe my expectations were a bit too high. :-)
Sorry to hear that CoasterCameron! I was there again at 6pm and they were adding several '14 Jeep GC Limiteds to the ES. Friday nights after 7pm tends to be slim pickings.

The MKZ on Alamo wasn't mine.

You can always take your SRX back tomorrow morning (preferably around 9 am) and do a return exchange. There might be something better then.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Apr 12, 2013 at 8:51 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:52 pm

The SRX is decent.. And it has factory nav so that is a bonus! It is probably the oldest car I've ever seen in the fleet! Registered in march 2012!

I actually asked the attendant if they had and 2014 Grand Cherokees and he said no.

Any idea why the gate agent seemed so surly about me reporting damage? He even tried to tell me that the large door dings were actually spots from the wash!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:44 pm

I ended up bringing the SRX back this morning. The more I drove it the more the braking performance bothered me. The brakes suffered from MAJOR fade, and I had a close call on the road as a result. When I got back to DCA around 9am it was still fairly slim pickings. The attendant saw that I was on a one way to Dulles and would not let me take the Infiniti SUV or other SRX they had (which was fine.. I wasn't interested in either.

Ended up getting a 300C V8 with 7000 miles. Very nicely equipped car and VERY powerful!

I am enjoying it more than the SRX.. The navigation works way way better too!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I ended up bringing the SRX back this morning. The more I drove it the more the braking performance bothered me. The brakes suffered from MAJOR fade, and I had a close call on the road as a result. When I got back to DCA around 9am it was still fairly slim pickings. The attendant saw that I was on a one way to Dulles and would not let me take the Infiniti SUV or other SRX they had (which was fine.. I wasn't interested in either.

Ended up getting a 300C V8 with 7000 miles. Very nicely equipped car and VERY powerful!

I am enjoying it more than the SRX.. The navigation works way way better too!
I was about to ask if the 300 you saw yesterday was a 300C. The 300Cs are nice! Garmin factory nav can't be beaten.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:45 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Friday, 3pm

Friday, 3 pm, I walked by on my way to Hertz, but I took a peek at the Premium section:

Nissan Maxima
Chrysler 300
Volvo XC60
Crown Victoria* (which I took... just kidding)

*Arlington County Police Department, "Interceptor" trim
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Friday 10am

Standouts on ES were:

2 x '13 VW Touaregs (I grabbed one)
2 x '13 Camaro Coupes
1 x Dodge Challenger

Premium/Reserve:

1 x '14 Jeep GC Limited
1 x '12 Caddy SRX
1 x '13 Chrysler 300
1 x '13 Ford Taurus Limited
1 x Mercedes C250
2 x '13 Hyundai Genesis-es
1 x '13 Lincoln MKS with panoramic roof
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:16 pm

Was the SRX Georgia plated? It may have been the ancient one I had with terrible brakes! :-)

I'm so disappointed I seemed to have hit this location at the one time when nothing impressive was available!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Was the SRX Georgia plated? It may have been the ancient one I had with terrible brakes! :-)

I'm so disappointed I seemed to have hit this location at the one time when nothing impressive was available!
I didn't look closely; only noticed that it wasn't a '13 SRX so I walked away.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Saturday morning, 7:30am

Wiped out

EA/ES:

SUV heavy

About half a dozen '13 GMC Acadias
- 1 or 2 '13 Dodge Durangos
Chrysler 200s

Premium/Reserve/VIP:

1 x Benz C250
1 x Caddy CTS 3.0L
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Sunday morning

ES:

- Bunch of '13 GMC Acadias
- 1 x Mazda CX-9 (which I took)
- other boring cars

Premium/VIP:

- 1 x '13 Infiniti G37X (was tempted to take this since it looked super new)
- 1 x '13 Hyundai Genesis
- 1 x '13 Mustang convertible (with 20 miles)

there were a bunch of other cars but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to look carefully.

Lot was very full.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Apr 21, 2013 at 11:12 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Monday morning

Premium/Reserve:

A bunch of Taurus Limiteds, Chrysler 300Cs, Hyundai Genesis-es, and one lone '13 Caddy SRX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.