Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Can you choose if on a long distance one-way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you choose if on a long distance one-way?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
West coast to Atlanta
I don't think EAN cares if you one-way for that far, but the local station can limit your choice on vehicle in my experience.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:44 pm

Bumping this a bit - Is there anything to be concerned with currently with super long distance one ways (renting from a large station)?
Make sure your rate includes unlimited mileage.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
I don't think EAN cares if you one-way for that far, but the local station can limit your choice on vehicle in my experience.
If he's choosing from an Emerald Aisle location I don't see what they would do. Maybe the agent at the gate would give him trouble but I don't see that happening.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by whistler814

Make sure your rate includes unlimited mileage.
Yes, haha.

And yeah, I'm going out on a limb of something large being available (even if I have to lurk for hours or even a couple days) at the ES, and don't want the gate attendant to stop me in my tracks.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:38 pm

Yes, haha.

And yeah, I'm going out on a limb of something large being available (even if I have to lurk for hours or even a couple days) at the ES, and don't want the gate attendant to stop me in my tracks.
I drove an Infiniti QX60 from IAD to SEA last summer. Racked up about 2500 miles in 4 days. Took it from many other premium SUVs on ES and the lot attendant didn’t care.

On a side note, I thought I was getting a deal with prepaid gas since it was about $1+ more per gallon at the drop off. Turns out all the rental taxes apply to the fuel charge too. I saved some money but not as much as I had imagined.

The cars are meant to be driven, whether it’s X miles back to the same place or X miles somewhere else. The only 2 times I was limited to a subset of cars was when I was trying to one-way from YVR to SEA (they wanted to move the US plated cars back) and years ago when I picked up from a franchise location (SLC) to go to LAX (they had a handful of corporate cars for this).

The only other thing I can think of is to try to find a vehicle with radar cruise control. Good luck on your road trip.
m907 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Bumping this a bit - Is there anything to be concerned with currently with super long distance one ways (renting from a large station)?
None that I've experienced - I had the same Fusion since March in Florida then I drove it to CA and just dropped it there since I needed to take a trip, otherwise I would still have it.

Last Oct, had a beautiful Pacifica set aside for me without any issue taking it from FL to CA for my move (amazing how much you can stuff in there when the seats go down into the floor).
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:12 am

If it’s a location with EA or ES, they don’t care what you take anymore for the most part. Only exceptions are cars in Prestige or something weird like a Cargo Van. I’ve even one-way’d a 15 passenger van with Georgia plates from Georgia to Florida before because that was all that was available on my full size SUV reservation.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
If it’s a location with EA or ES, they don’t care what you take anymore for the most part. Only exceptions are cars in Prestige or something weird like a Cargo Van. I’ve even one-way’d a 15 passenger van with Georgia plates from Georgia to Florida before because that was all that was available on my full size SUV reservation.
I wouldn't want to see the gas bill from that trip
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:57 pm

As others noted, from the aisle nobody cares. But if you ask them to pull something up for you, then they often do care cause they don't want to lose their premium vehicles
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.