Wiki Posts
Search

Using an Emerald Club "free day"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Using an Emerald Club "free day"

I recently switched my reward preference to Emerald Club "free days" because it didn't seem like I was getting much in the way of frequent flyer miles from my rentals (also, it seemed like National wanted to charge me for those miles). Low and beyond, I see in my profile that I have now earned a "free day."

I didn't see any rules for what I could use this rental for, so I tried to apply it online to an otherwise expensive one-way rental out of EWR. All they had left were minivans, and the code took an astonishing $350 off the rental, but still left me with $150 in charges. I can do that one-way much cheaper another way. But I was wondering whether this is typical, or do these Emerald Club "free days" work effectively on one-way rentals?

If they do, it would be a nice benefit because I usually only keep a one-way car rental for a day and they're obviously much more expensive than regular car rentals.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
For regular Emerald Club members, you're allowed to use the program free days on midsize cars. (You can use the 1-2-Free promo days on full size cars.) So it sounds like the computer realized that there were no midsize available and gave you the midsize rate's price as a discount on the minivan. If the facility is close to sold out, the rates will be astronomical for a one-way rental - specialty vehicles (e.g. not sedans) often rent for $150-$299/day plus taxes for a one-way rental, depending on the location.

Is this a multi-day rental? If so, try using the free day for a one day rental from EWR to another airport on your way, then picking up a rental at that point. One benefit is that you'll get 2 qualifying rentals towards your next free day instead of just one. But you may also save some money, especially if the other airport is one with less taxes and facility charges.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. No, I was just looking at a one-day, one-way rental. I actually have a rez alreasy booked using a good "Flyertalk code", so the unavailability of the "free day" isn't a big problem for me here. I'm just trying to figure out whether -- if there's availability -- you can use your Emerald "free day" for a ow rental without any surcharges and such. Because, if you can, that would seem like the most advantageous way to use them.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
On a free day, in most locations:

- You will still have to pay any fixed price surcharges (like the $8/day one at ORD)
- You won't have to pay the percentage-based taxes and surcharges on the free day value

I've had total cost of $0.00 before at locations with no fixed priced surcharges, such as DC Union Station.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Just to clarify what ElmhurstNick stated, dependent upon your status with National will determine the type of vehicle you can use the coupon for. If you are Executive Elite, you can use the coupon on any car class.

Regarding one-way rentals. I always need to remove my corporate code (can't speak for other codes) so I get unlimited mileage.

Try booking the reservations a couple different ways...no code, with code, etc.

As a couple others have mentioned, a free day isn't a free day at most locations. You will have to pay airport fees, recreation fees, local fees, etc. O'Hare is one of the worst, and surprisingly Pittsburgh was $20+ a day using a free day.

Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
As a couple others have mentioned, a free day isn't a free day at most locations. You will have to pay airport fees, recreation fees, local fees, etc. O'Hare is one of the worst, and surprisingly Pittsburgh was $20+ a day using a free day.

Good luck!
Yeah, I assumed I'd have to pay SOMETHING on my free day -- I just wanted to confirm that a one-way is treated the same as a "local" rental. It would appear that it is, which obviously makes these certificates more valuable, since one-way rentals are almost always much more expensive.

There is, of course, always the fees/taxes issues on "free" rentals. I've been doing Hertz #1 Club free days for a few years now, and they've always computed these fees "humanely" (usually lower than what the website says the cost will be). On the other hand, I had some Avis "free day" certs that I had to complain about -- and switch over to simply " dollars off" certs -- because they kept pricing the "free day" at crazy prices (like $150/day), and then wanting to charge me the tax (which was usually more than 1/3rd) on this rate.

So you never know. Car rental pricing is strange, and "free day" pricing fits the pattern.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:15 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the return location? Sometimes availability is limited to something odd, like minivans, not because the pickup station is sold out, but because the return location already has too many of everything else.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, what is the return location? Sometimes availability is limited to something odd, like minivans, not because the pickup station is sold out, but because the return location already has too many of everything else.
yeah, I checked a couple nearby locations just in case.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I have an 8 day rental coming up. The National site would not let me use a free day and a coupon for $35 off a weekly rental. So I just removed the free day as it would only save a few dollars more than the coupon but waste a free day. Is there a workaround?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AdamS
Is there a workaround?
Not that I have found, not online. It's possible to use multiple free Emerald days but not multiple coupon types.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:51 pm

I used my "one free day" to book a one way rental from Newark Airport to Iselin, NJ. I booked a midsize and it will cost me $7.54 plus gas.
My pick up date is 5/28, returning 5/29. We just take something off the Emerald Aisle. I've done this several times..
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:25 pm

Using my free day for a one way minivan from Vancouver to Seattle Airport. Saved me $299.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I use my free days frequently when I need a one-way rental. I'm doing it next weekend, in fact. The 1-day rental returning 400mi apart is costing me $0.17. It is a great benefit.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation. I will definitely save my "free days" for one-ways, and try to book in advance so that the inventory is available.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Don't try to save them for too long. If awarded in year X, they expire 12/31/X+1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.