Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting at Waikiki location vs HNL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Renting at Waikiki location vs HNL

The rates are dramatically lower than the airport and I'm wondering how much a cab ride will be from the terminals over there?
Additionally has anyone ever done this and encountered any problems?
Thanks,
Steve
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:47 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Forklift Steve
The rates are dramatically lower than the airport and I'm wondering how much a cab ride will be from the terminals over there?
Additionally has anyone ever done this and encountered any problems?
I believe the cab ride is approximately $30 each way.

Possible problems (I've never rented at the Waikiki location) - less choice in cars (HNL is great for ES people - nice cars and good service), limited hours for pickup, can you dropoff at HNL without increasing the cost dramatically, factor in the time you need to add for pickup / dropoff.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
Originally Posted by peteropny
I believe the cab ride is approximately $30 each way.

(HNL is great for ES people - nice cars and good service)
+2! HNL staff are excellent!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by GottaGoFlying
+2! HNL staff are excellent!
Maybe I got the single bad apple, but one of the ladies there asserted that I MUST charge the rental to my corporate credit card in order to get the LDW.

I was renting for personal reasons on my personal credit card (which our company contract DOES allow and should always include the LDW).

I ended up going with what the lady said. I charged it to my corporate card in my profile. At the return, different lady changed it back to my personal card. A bit of an inconvenience, but not terrifying.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
HNL has generally been OK, but the friendliest, most accomodating staff is at OGG (Kahului, Maui).

At HNL, I've been told by the counter that I couldn't have a vehicle in the marked Exec stalls, even though I had my Exec card and a full size reservation. The agent also grumbled during the whole transaction about the unreliable booth agent that didn't show up for work that morning.

On the other hand, this is the only location where I've been handed a cold bottle of water at the booth.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I ordered a cab ahead of time and saved some $'s. I called as soon as I landed and someone was waiting for me at baggage claim. Pretty good for cab service!

If you are staying at Waikiki, surely you can spend a day or two without needing a car and then just get a car for a day or two to roam around the island. Since you don't want to pay for parking in Waikiki, its great to rent for the day there and return.

Its a quirky garage location and a little far from the hotels but its workable and can save you a lot on the rental charge and hotel parking.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
HNL has more cars to negotiate with taking. Last time I talked my way into a TSX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.