Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Your Best Emerald Club Membership Story...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I thought for my 1000th post on FlyerTalk (as well as my 4 year anniversary), I'd start a thread discussing our best Emerald Club membership stories. Whether its an amazing value for rental length or vehicle, or just a helpful National lot attendant who allowed an excessive upgrade, I'm sure the folks in this forum have some great stories to tell.

As most of you in the Nat forum know, I'm on my now 6th consecutive year of renting. 365 days/year, since May 2004, everyday, every month, every year. Always apply an AA triple miles coupon to the rental. 4500 AA miles/month, 54000 AA/year (most years), along with the AA miles earned from my SPG Amex to which the rental is charged every month (company reimburses). Re-up to the next Rental Agreement occurs every 30 days like clockwork. My contact at the airport facility I'm based out of always looks out for a great new vehicle for me to try, which usually has nearly every option available. Pay for mid-size, been driving various luxury SUVs for 6 years. Usually a new vehicle once every six months give or take. That's my Emerald Club story, what's yours...

Last edited by Ritz; Jan 21, 2011 at 12:32 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 15, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
EC membership means I never have to stand in a line like the one I stood in at the Budget desk at DCA on the Friday evening of Memorial Day weekend in 2006. A line that took roughly 2 hours to get through.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:19 pm

How often do you return your rental and get a new car?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Mine isn't anything extraordinary, but I had never rented from National before but got Emerald Club through an ad on Flyertalk. Not having to wait in line is just great, and the location I rent from most often (CLT) is very good; the employees are very friendly and there is a good selection of cars. I now rent only from National about once a month or so for a few days.

I don't understand the car rental business- it seems as if the lines are the slowest of anything (compared to airlines and Amtrak)- I don't understand why people can't just rent cars via kiosk or have an airline-type check-in online that would pre-assign a car and also avoid a line at the location that way. Fortunately it doesn't matter since due to Emerald Club I'm spared those hassles.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:22 pm

I don't understand why people can't just rent cars via kiosk or have an airline-type check-in online that would pre-assign a car and also avoid a line at the location that way.

Think of how airlines are different from rental cars. Airlines control their inventory more rigidly, whereas rental cars tend to randomly float around the country. The car a location planned to assign to another renter might come back with a big dent from the previous renter's accident and have to go out of service, the previous renter returned it late, there was a mechanical problem and the car is out of service, the previous renter drove a lot and it's time for an oil change, etc. It's also usually much harder to cancel or change an airline ticket than a rental car. And, if you were to make a reservation and be immediately told you'll be getting an old Cobalt, PT Cruiser, HHR, Grand Marquis, or some other frequently undesired car, you might decide to immediately cancel it.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
You can rent via kiosks at Alamo and National at many locations.

Hertz lets you check-in online.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I don't understand why people can't just rent cars via kiosk or have an airline-type check-in online that would pre-assign a car and also avoid a line at the location that way.
As stated upthread, there are many kiosk rental opportunities with National.

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
How often do you return your rental and get a new car?
The RA is re-upped every 30 days, and I usually change out vehicles about every 6 months.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
The crew at the lot counter at BNA are my favorite. In 2010 for a week-long ICAR-paid reservation, they've given me:

Cadillac SRX (twice)
Ford Taurus Limited (twice)
Lincoln MKZ
Chevy Suburban LT
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
National PVD winter 2009. See a shiny Red Pontiac Grand Prix GXP(300hp V8) and jump in without a second thought. Two days into my rental massive snowstorm hits Northeast and this car isn't moving anywhere. Its front wheel drive with performance tires that can't get any grip on the snow. To move anywhere I had to disable traction control and floor it to get the wheels to burn through the snow/ice to get any traction. The speedometer would get up to 120-140mph
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
FWIW, Hertz has kiosks too.

Alamo Insider (fka QuickSilver) and National Emerald Club mini-vans with stow-n-go seating have helped countless friends move for much less than the cost of a U-Haul.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MilesMonster
The crew at the lot counter at BNA are my favorite. In 2010 for a week-long ICAR-paid reservation, they've given me:

Cadillac SRX (twice)
Ford Taurus Limited (twice)
Lincoln MKZ
Chevy Suburban LT
Wow! That is a very generous location. ^
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:52 am

Love the crew at DCA, they pretty much give me anything I want. Although, I've yet to see an SRX when I pickup.

- Lincoln MKZ
- Lincoln MKS
- Loaded Ford Flex
- Nissan Maxima
- Taurus Limiteds
- Jeep GC Laredos
- Ford Edge Limiteds

etc..

Jeez Ritz, are you Emerald Executive VIP yet?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ritz
The RA is re-upped every 30 days, and I usually change out vehicles about every 6 months.
I'm about to do a seasonal rental for my parents - 3 rentals of 30 days with a gap day in between each period. Does your location redo the RA remotely by phone or do you need to drive there and check-in with the desk to get a new agreement issued?

My city location (I'm renting from the city to reduce the taxes which are over $100 higher from the airport) is not all that friendly - and basically told me if I have a "desirable" car (i.e. convertible, luxury, hybrid) that they have an outstanding reservation for, they reserve the right to take my car back at the end of each 30 day rental and re-issue me a new (translation: crappy) car from their lot.

I built a gap day into each rental period, as I figured I would just go to the airport and book a 1 day, 1 way rental to get something nicer and hope the local office doesn't try and snatch it back when I go in the following day to open the 30 day rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.