Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Old Oct 15, 17, 12:54 pm

Not KOA, but was just at ITO last weekend. (Going again next weekend as the Big Island has WAY too much to see in just 2 weekends....)

The rental lot/counter is outside the airport basically across the street from where you exit the small ITO airport. Super convenient and a 2 min walk.

It's a counter service location only, and the lot, per agent, is basically shared amongst all the rental companies.

I booked a Wrangler, and quipped to the agent that I noticed the WRanglers that national had were the bare bones model (no bluetooth/screen, and just a basic aux input for audio...which was really only what I wanted...I didn't care for leather or other extra stuff). ANd she said they only carry the bare bones Wrangler models.

Offered an upgrade to a GMC Yukon SLT for $40/day more...I was fine with that...(normally she said that would've been a $220/day option) plus trying out a new vehicle is always up my alley.

First, the car is massive. Easily the largest I've driven so far (though I think there's an even longer version of this GM chassis I believe in the Yukon XL). Basically it's a badge-engineered luxury version of the Chevy Tahoe.

Leather all around, full on-screen nav with bluetooth and pretty much all the bells and whistles in auto/power everything including folding down seats and the power tail gate. Lane keeping assist, departure warning, and blind spot warning signal as well. The cooled/vented seats were very nice touch especially for the hot island days. Gobs of storage everywhere with massive center console box.

Nice for a large group of people/large family (lots of 12V outlets) but definitely you need to be comfortable with driving and knowing the size of your vehicle in certain areas where parking/roads are a bit smaller than usual.

What's interesting is the Yukon is not that bad on MPG compared to the Wranglers I've driven before...(18ish) and so certainly that was pleasantly surprising and for the features and the sheer weight of the vehicle.
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:19 pm

What can i expect to get if I'm booking a "luxury" car here? It's also cheaper than booking a midsize somehow..
Old Oct 19, 17, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by rbears View Post
What can i expect to get if I'm booking a "luxury" car here? It's also cheaper than booking a midsize somehow..
Hmmm, someone else may need to chip in. When I was there 2mo ago at KOA, the small lot seemed to be a mix of economy and midsize cars, convertible Mustangs, Jeeps, and a pickup. It looked like they had cars pulled into the lot as people were reserving specific ones. We got led to a Jeep and another couple led to a Nissan pickup.

I don't remember seeing any LCARs but I'm sure they may have some?....

I do remember seeing rental BMW 4 series (and a X3) driving around the Big Island on the times I've been there....
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Hmmm, someone else may need to chip in. When I was there 2mo ago at KOA, the small lot seemed to be a mix of economy and midsize cars, convertible Mustangs, Jeeps, and a pickup. It looked like they had cars pulled into the lot as people were reserving specific ones. We got led to a Jeep and another couple led to a Nissan pickup.

I don't remember seeing any LCARs but I'm sure they may have some?....

I do remember seeing rental BMW 4 series (and a X3) driving around the Big Island on the times I've been there....
Oh oops, you're right, I was getting mixed up. The LCAR quote i was talking about was at OGG, doesn't look like there is a luxury option at KOA. Planning this trip has my wires crossed!
Old Oct 20, 17, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by rbears View Post
Oh oops, you're right, I was getting mixed up. The LCAR quote i was talking about was at OGG, doesn't look like there is a luxury option at KOA. Planning this trip has my wires crossed!
Haha no worries. Looks like OGG has much more varied selection (makes sense as OGG is a very popular tourist spot) and a most recent poster just snapped a photo of a 2018 BMW 4 series on a thursday morning but looks like in his photo a family has already staked claim to that.....good luck and give us update!
Old Nov 13, 17, 9:45 pm

Was in ITO just this past weekend on the other side of the Big Island.

The usual small lot. Reserved a Wrangler and got an almost brand new Wrangler - 2017 Sport Unlimited in basic trim with about 300miles on it. Looks like they are starting to replace some of the older vehicles in the fleet.

The couple weeks before I got a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara that had almost 40k miles!
Old Nov 13, 17, 10:29 pm

I got a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara that had almost 40k miles!
On an ISLAND! An island that is only a couple hundred miles in circumference!

I had an Accord In Honolulu with similar mileage. I couldn't help wondering where the heck people were driving to!
Old Nov 14, 17, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
On an ISLAND! An island that is only a couple hundred miles in circumference!

I had an Accord In Honolulu with similar mileage. I couldn't help wondering where the heck people were driving to!
Heh, true. Oahu is not as big as Hawai'i (the Big Island) but it could also be that these cars really get used quite a bit as there's pretty much constant flow of tourists and over time miles can rack up as peolple drive from one site to another.

Especially the Big Island. From my personal experience, I was on the Big Island for a quick weekend jaunt (away from my work here at HNL) and I was a bit more ambitious and really wanted to see lots of sights (ie, no stopping at restaurants, eating and drinking lots of bento/to go and gatorades) and I basically put 650 miles in 1.5 days (saturday and sunday until about 6pm)....
Old Jan 23, 18, 12:01 am

Had a rental here for 5 days. Had an aisle reservation, choices were so so. They got some freshly plated Cadillac XTSs on the lot, so we jumped into one of those, 40 miles on the odo. We put 600 miles on it during our rental, wish it got better mileage, but other than that great car.
Old Feb 18, 18, 10:20 am

Saturday at 730am.

Ford F-150 XLT crew cab 4x4, Nissan Frontier x2, Hyundai Sonata, Jeep Renegade, Jeep Patriot, Nissan Altima x2, Dodge Grand Caravan
Very limited choices.

Agent said Jeep Wranglers were in extremely high demand, 21 reservations for Wranglers on that day alone! So no upgrades to that even as I offered to pay.

Saw 2018 Mustang convertibles parked/reserved aside, as well as a silver XTS parked in an off area as well.

I did spot some NIssan Frontier Pro-4X rentals while out driving the big island...very interesting.
Old Feb 20, 18, 2:10 pm

Monday at 630pm. Very sparse as this is a holiday weekend/day.

Dodge Grand Caravans, a Hyunday Santa Fe, and a Nissan Altima. Agents were pulling up more mid size sedans as I departed on the shuttle.
Old Feb 20, 18, 4:14 pm

Last Thu 7pm, 2 trucks (Frontier and F150), fusion, charger and some mid-size, took the charger, a basic model with 25000~ miles.

Sun 7pm, only the 2 trucks and fusion, took Frontier, again basic model with 30000~ miles.

The mustangs were quoted as upgrade, didn't ask how much as my contract doesn't allow upgrades.
Old Apr 17, 18, 7:18 am

Anyone seen Premium SUVs at this location? Doesn't really sound like it based on reports.
We're going with 5 adults, and I'm planning to use my free days!

Last edited by Chingyul; Apr 17, 18 at 7:24 am
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Anyone seen Premium SUVs at this location? Doesn't really sound like it based on reports.
We're going with 5 adults, and I'm planning to use my free days!
If you're talking about scoring a premium SUV off the aisle...basically 0% chance. I've seen the regular stable of midsize to fullsize sedans, midsize SUVs, and occasional full size pickup, but never a larger or premium level SUV.

I've been able to get upgraded into a Yukon over at ITO on the other side of the island.

You'll likely need to ask for an upgrade if you don't reserve it specifically. KOA certainly stock premium SUVs (I've seen several Suburbans parked there) as it is a more popular location than ITO.
Old Apr 18, 18, 10:18 am

If you're talking about scoring a premium SUV off the aisle...basically 0% chance. I've seen the regular stable of midsize to fullsize sedans, midsize SUVs, and occasional full size pickup, but never a larger or premium level SUV.

I've been able to get upgraded into a Yukon over at ITO on the other side of the island.

You'll likely need to ask for an upgrade if you don't reserve it specifically. KOA certainly stock premium SUVs (I've seen several Suburbans parked there) as it is a more popular location than ITO.
No, doing a specific reservation. I guess most people here are reporting what they see in the aisles.
I would assume that if the vehicle class is offered in the system, they'll be able to get the vehicles at that location.

Search this Thread