Cars at YYZ

Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by humansoul
Not sure if you already picked up your car, but do what I do - I usually go to the parking lot first and scope out the rentals available. I then ask politely for an upgrade and specify the car you want, tell them you're going to a wedding or date weekend or what not. They've allowed me to upgrade to some cars.
That's exactly what I ended up doing - mainly because of the horrendous signage (or lack thereof) that had me strolling around the parking garage on foot following the teeny tiny signs taped to the wall until I found the location and the cars. I saw a few that I liked and went to the booth - only to be sent back upstairs to the office that is not obvious to customers (and frankly I had no idea how to even find it from street level).

They were suppose to hold a US tagged car for me, but forgot - and since it was near closing, they couldn't prep another one. The lady (much nicer than the unpleasant guy on the phone) offered me the Impala, which I politely declined and requested one of the 300s....which was countered with an offer of a Charger, which I declined, then she agreed to give me the 300. There was a Kia Optima, Taurus and Fusion and I would have been OK with any of these had the 300 been refused. She was nice and I was nice, so we made a deal...and I think she wanted to close up and get out of there too.

The kicker was the car came from Quebec...and all of the internal instrumentation and settings were in French...which took a good hour to figure out how to change it to English and good 'ol USofA miles and gallons.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:13 am

They allow Canadian plated cars one-way to US border cities. But they require US plates for one-ways deeper into the US. I'm curious what would have happened if that's what you had wanted to do. It's their own fault they forgot to hold a US car for you.

As an aside, it can be difficult to adjust the dashboard information display, even for US cars. 2 weeks ago, I picked up a Chevrolet Sonic sedan from National Seattle Downtown, one-way to BOS. The car had NV plates, and the radio clock format was Pacific military time. I thought about correcting it as I crossed the time zones, but wasn't sure how, and didn't want to waste time fiddling and possibly breaking it. I figured let it be Logan's problem to change it for the next local customer. So the clock was still on PDT when I returned it there. The check-in guy didn't say anything about it, and I didn't either.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:40 am

Went to YYZ last night, booked a standard size and was hoping to score a Flex or better. Unfortunately, with Caribana long weekend approaching, they moved all 7 seater vehicles into the premium lots and were upselling each one.

To offset the space at T1, the Exec aisle was filled with all premium sedan vehicles; Mustang 5.0, G37x, Nissan Maxima. A 7 seater would have made our trip more comfortable, but I was denied in grabbing the Flex or Explorer, when usually it's no problem. I ended up driving off in a Grand Cherokee Laredo, with only 120km. Some worthy mention too in the exec aisles were:

-Ford Edge Sport w/ 20" chrome rims
-Jeep Sahara hard top (never knew they rent these)
-GMC Sierra crew cab
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:04 am

YYZ 8/2 (Evening)

EA - 1 impala; 1 sentra (Pretty slim pickings)
EE - A dozen Edges of various trim; 1 taurus

Was kind of hoping to get something different; an agent moving cars rolled up in a 37x; got in faster then he got out of it!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:56 pm

8/7 (8am)

EA: 1 lone sentra
EE: 1 Edge, 1 Caravan, 1 Jeep Wrangler (with removable doors/roof (FJAR))
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
YYZ 8/4/12 morning T1 around 8:30AM

ES:

12+ x Ford Edge in almost any color and trim level
2 x Lincoln MKX (both loaded with active XM and stolen nav card and I picked a white one)
1 x Ford Flex
1 x Mazda CX-7
2 x Ford Explorer
1 x KIA Optima
1 x Ford Fusion
1 x Dodge funky looking van/suv
1 x Nissan Altima
3 x Minivans

EA:

1 x Chrysler 200
1 x Nissan Sentra
2 x Toyota Corolla
A bunch of other smaller cars of various brands and sizes.

YYZ 8/8/12 morning T1 around 8:30AM

I didn't really walk over to check but from a distance I saw ES had Ford Flex, Nissan Maxima, and Ford Taurus.

Last edited by nightracerx; Aug 8, 2012 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:51 pm

YYZ 8/20/12 morning T1 around 9:30AM

ES:

Edge/Flex/CX-7/13 Explorer/Minivans/g37x
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:33 pm

Cars at YYZ

Aug 26th around 10:00pm T1
EA : 1 impala
ES; 2 Edges
1 Flex
1 buick
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:33 pm

8/25 - T1

EE - Lotz of Edges in all trims except for Sport.
3x Maxima, 1x 300, 1x Lacrosse, 1x Optima, 1x Sonata
EA - 3x '13 Escape, 1x Mazda 6, 1x Caravan

The agent recommended the Edge, but wife wanted four banger for gas mileage so ended up taking the '13 Escape SEL... although gas mileage was not all that great, but overall it was good.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:51 pm

Tues Sept 4th ~10am arrival

Both lots where full

EE : Edges, explorers, flex, 300, lacross and one ...... kia rondo???
EA : Edge, impala, altima, rvr
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:28 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by hearna
EE : Edges, explorers, flex, 300, lacross and one ...... kia rondo???
Perhaps they had a reservation for our Tuneman
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:53 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
T1 Sept 21:

Nice mix of mostly SUVs. Tons of Ford Edge, including the Sport version I took. A couple Infiniti G37 as well.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:23 am

Cars at YYZ

20th evening ES edges all trims even sport, flex, explorer. EA impala, MKZ, fusion. I was able to get a Mustang GT 5.0 but I was told they will be gone by next month and will be replaced by BMW 328s.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:14 pm

Took advantage of the last minute weekend deal at YYZ.

Picked up at T1 @ 11:00PM on 9/21

EE - Once again, lots of Edges... seems like they're the cars in abundance... 2x300's, 2x escapes
EA - Edges, Escapes (even had a titanium trim which I was tempted), 1x altima, 1x maxima, 1x fusion

I wanted the maxima, but by the time I finished looking around, someone had gotten in so ended up taking a 300 with 318kms on it.

I just returned it @ 11:00pm on 9/24

There was nothing... i mean nothing

EE - 2x GMCs (i think they were acadia but could be wrong), 2x edges
EA - 1 minivan, 2 escapes

I think that was it... YYZ must be pretty bare on Monday nights
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:21 pm

T1 - 27/09 around 9 pm
EA - Flexx , Impala, and Jetta.
ES- Edges all trims, Maximas and a Buick Lacross.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.