Cars at YYZ

Old Jun 29, 20, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU View Post
Does National have a problem with passengers arriving to YYZ from the USA? Are they allowed to rent at National?
Why wouldn't they be allowed to rent?
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC P25K
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Why wouldn't they be allowed to rent?
Because they say that the renter has to be Covid-free and can't be under quarantine. As an essential worker returning from the USVI I won't be under quarantine, but some businesses don't care and won't serve anyone who arrived form the USA for two weeks. I had to reschedule several appointments because of that. I would hate to find myself in a similar situation with the car. Especially because I'll land at 22:17.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Because they say that the renter has to be Covid-free and can't be under quarantine. As an essential worker returning from the USVI I won't be under quarantine, but some businesses don't care and won't serve anyone who arrived form the USA for two weeks. I had to reschedule several appointments because of that. I would hate to find myself in a similar situation with the car. Especially because I'll land at 22:17.
They have no way of knowing where you arrived from - if you're a Canadian person with a Canadian license, just keep your origin to yourself, and you should still plan on carrying your own disinfectant wipes to clean the car anyway before you drive away, I am not trusting these corporations to do it for me.

A US resident arriving from the USA might be better off to take the train downtown and then rent from an in-city location to avoid this issue....of course isn't everyone arriving from abroad required to quarantine anyway?
Old Jun 29, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: National EE
Some great news National YYZ is back in business. Sunday night about 10 cars in the isle and two people working the exit gates. Monday evening tonight the isle was FULL of mostly SUVs. One Nissan Maxima and a Ford Escape Titanium hybrid were the notables. The cleaners have been hired back along with some other staff so hopefully no more hour long waits. I guess corporate was listening and decided to do something before their customer satisfaction rating drops any lower.

Auto Enthusiast and XC60 like this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
They have no way of knowing where you arrived from - if you're a Canadian person with a Canadian license, just keep your origin to yourself, and you should still plan on carrying your own disinfectant wipes to clean the car anyway before you drive away, I am not trusting these corporations to do it for me.

A US resident arriving from the USA might be better off to take the train downtown and then rent from an in-city location to avoid this issue....of course isn't everyone arriving from abroad required to quarantine anyway?
Well, you've just proven my point, bocastephen, didn't you?
Old Jun 30, 20, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by turbov6 View Post
Some great news National YYZ is back in business. Sunday night about 10 cars in the isle and two people working the exit gates. Monday evening tonight the isle was FULL of mostly SUVs. One Nissan Maxima and a Ford Escape Titanium hybrid were the notables. The cleaners have been hired back along with some other staff so hopefully no more hour long waits. I guess corporate was listening and decided to do something before their customer satisfaction rating drops any lower.
I just changed my reservation from "Emerald" to full size. Should I change it back?
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:53 am

I just changed my reservation from "Emerald" to full size. Should I change it back?
You can make two reservations, one for "Emerald" and another for full size. You won't be charged for the one that you don't use, but to make sure, cancel the full-size once you secure the car you want in the lot before exiting.
Old Jul 2, 20, 9:08 pm

Tonight at 9 PM
No cars available (Mitsubishi Outlander in the picture is not available)
Was offered jeep wrangler but declined. Waited 20 mins for a Ford Fusion
Avis lot is 60% full & Hertz lot is 80% full

Old Jul 3, 20, 11:53 am

Made a EA booking for July 18th on my work account, with a backup Alamo booking through Costco. The National booking through as many channels as I could check was half as cheap as anything else I could get. So while it's tempting, it doesn't really give much confidence that they care or will bother to fulfill it.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 1:02 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by jizen View Post
Tonight at 9 PM

Sad when bankrupt Hertz and lousy Avis are outperforming National. Enterprise better get control over this and stop running National like it is Enterprise. Actually these photos of no cars may be worse than Enterprise. Are they trying to kill off the National brand or what? It seems like they will happily accept reservations at National's (higher than Enterprise and Alamo) rates, but are not providing the typical level of service that customers pay for with National.
Old Jul 4, 20, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jizen View Post
Tonight at 9 PM

Exact same situation this morning (7/4).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: