Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by Belinik
mid size suv on top of my head: escape, journey, sorento... the few escape I took from national have nav with it, usually my preferred choice despite lack of power.
if you don't like what they have for you, you can ask for reservation adjustment to a full size car... should be way cheaper then a suv rental.. and then pick from the aisle(which may have suv minivan)

https://www.nationalcar.ca/index.do?...withnav-header

Thank you for the information. It is a free rental for me, I am using one of my free days so not really costing me anything.

I am just curious if I don't like their selection of midsize suv if I can take a full size instead.

Anyone knows if they carry the new sentafe? is this a midsize suv?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: National Executive, Avis First
So this is my first time renting from pearson, so what is the deal about going to the counter at the location or going to the reserve aisle?

as already mentioned my reservation is Emerald Reserve, so I go to the counter or to the reserve aisle? just seems confusing to me.

also how good are the guys if one requests a particular car? for instance if I call a couple of hours before and ask them for a particular midsize suv to keep a side. Anyone has any experience on this?

I am afraid to get there and find they have an awful selection of midsize suv's, hope they won't mind if I pick a full size instead.

My reservation is free as I am using one of my free days.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Originally Posted by jordanf56
So this is my first time renting from pearson, so what is the deal about going to the counter at the location or going to the reserve aisle?

as already mentioned my reservation is Emerald Reserve, so I go to the counter or to the reserve aisle? just seems confusing to me.

also how good are the guys if one requests a particular car? for instance if I call a couple of hours before and ask them for a particular midsize suv to keep a side. Anyone has any experience on this?

I am afraid to get there and find they have an awful selection of midsize suv's, hope they won't mind if I pick a full size instead.

My reservation is free as I am using one of my free days.
If your using free days, it seems like you've used National a bit. Just use YYZ like any other corp. location.

I personally haven't requested a car from YYZ, but I would give them at least 24 hours to pull something aside. Even then, it's sometimes a crap shoot.

As far as grabbing a SFAR (standard; explorer/grand cherokee/pathfinder) or FFAR (full size; durango/expedition/armada) off the reserve lane if you don't like the IFAR's, keep in mind that those are the "general public" lanes and the vehicle count is based on the number of reservations they have. Sure there's upgraders, no shows and general parking, but something like a FFAR/PGAR (premium crossover; enclave/acadia/flex/MKT) they may make you pay an upgrade charge (unless your Exec or higher) or a reverse of shame.

Last edited by Alaska737890; Aug 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Originally Posted by jordanf56
Thank you for the information. It is a free rental for me, I am using one of my free days so not really costing me anything.

I am just curious if I don't like their selection of midsize suv if I can take a full size instead.

Anyone knows if they carry the new sentafe? is this a midsize suv?
As far as the Santa Fe, they are classified as IFAR (mid-size) right now. Not sure about YYZ, but they are quite common out on the prairies.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:33 pm

You think the escape is under powered!?! The 2.0 Ecoboost escapes are the most powerful small SUV I've found on the lots.. I've also never seen one with navigation. Has anyone else?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by Alaska737890
As far as the Santa Fe, they are classified as IFAR (mid-size) right now. Not sure about YYZ, but they are quite common out on the prairies.
Santa Fe is in the system as an SFAR now. YYZ also has Mitsubishi Outlanders which I got once on the Aisle and didn't mind.

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
I've also never seen one with navigation. Has anyone else?
The "navigation" option is just an SD card. The touchscreen in the SELs and Titaniums is nav-capable but National doesn't want to shell out the $700 for the nav card. Neither would I actually, I'd just go find one on ebay or Amazon for a fraction of the price.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:57 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Santa Fe is in the system as an SFAR now. YYZ also has Mitsubishi Outlanders which I got once on the Aisle and didn't mind.

The "navigation" option is just an SD card. The touchscreen in the SELs and Titaniums is nav-capable but National doesn't want to shell out the $700 for the nav card. Neither would I actually, I'd just go find one on ebay or Amazon for a fraction of the price.
Are you sure? I was under the impression that you need more than the SD card - the capability actually needs to be activated on the car's software.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:56 pm

Also, from what I understand you can't just buy an SD card from Amazon. The card is linked to the vehicle, to prevent people for breaking in to steal a $700 chip the size of a quarter.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Also, from what I understand you can't just buy an SD card from Amazon. The card is linked to the vehicle, to prevent people for breaking in to steal a $700 chip the size of a quarter.
That actually makes more sense now that I think about it. I know there are other options than just ordering through the dealer but it probably needs to be activated or authenticated for that specific vehicle I'm guessing.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:17 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Been awhile since I was at YYZ, but looking to burn some of my free days. Being EE, I would love to book Luxury, but it is not showing up on the site. Any hints at getting something interesting?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Been awhile since I was at YYZ, but looking to burn some of my free days. Being EE, I would love to book Luxury, but it is not showing up on the site. Any hints at getting something interesting?
Perhaps a convertible? I haven't been to YYZ this summer but I know they usually carry Mustang 5.0 convertibles in the summer.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Go at an off time, usually late at night and I find they have fewer selections, but are more generous in upgrading you to a luxury, full size SUV, or specialty cars like a Mustang or Challenger.

It's probably a good time to go this coming long weekend. Many will rent vans, full size cars, and SUVs; last time I did this was during March Break and they had all Mustang convertibles 5.0 in the main emerald aisle for the taking!! Too bad I also needed something bigger or else I would have grabbed one then.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:39 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by humansoul
Go at an off time, usually late at night and I find they have fewer selections, but are more generous in upgrading you to a luxury, full size SUV, or specialty cars like a Mustang or Challenger.

It's probably a good time to go this coming long weekend. Many will rent vans, full size cars, and SUVs; last time I did this was during March Break and they had all Mustang convertibles 5.0 in the main emerald aisle for the taking!! Too bad I also needed something bigger or else I would have grabbed one then.
Hit it Friday night around 10pm. Hopping. The Aisle was nothing special (Ford Edge, Hyundai Sonatas, a Maxima).

I booked a convertible with an idea of picking anything off the lot. Pretty bare on the high end stuff. Offered a Mustang 5.0 or a Infiniti EX37 (took the Infiniti).
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:59 am

I had a week long rental starting last Wednesday around 2 PM.

Terminal 3 was a complete zoo. They had a ford explorer in the Emerald Executive Aisle. I was looking for a good sedan so I went to Terminal 1. Terminal 1 was much quieter. They had 3-4 G37x's, a Ford Explorer, a Ford Edge and 2 Chrysler 200 convertibles.

I took one of the G's.

Last edited by rihc55; Sep 6, 2013 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
A bunch of new 2014 GMC Acadias have arrived at YYZ. In the ES quite frequently. They are all base cloth trim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.