Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
Stealth22 - I didn't take anything on the 24th, I just returned a 13 Titanium Escape. I probably would have went with a 14 Fiesta SE from the reserve, only because that was the only cool looking car that day and I've never rented one. They had both the hatch and sedan.

humansoul - I am not too familiar with the dodge family and how they perform, but to be honest I was quite disappointed with the 2 escapes I've had. I am a pretty big Ford fan but the 2.0 eco (the only engine available for the titanium trim) averaged at 10L/100km on the highway. I was hoping for something more like 7L/100 as stated on their site. It is however a very fun drive and has a few cool things like the kick to open tailgate and a 110V outlet at the back of the center console.

For those who havn't been to YYZ T1 national:
Entrance picture
Directly to the left and right of the booth is the first exec row, there is an other exec row behind. Left of the post is the reserve (there were GT 5.0 mustangs, and a challenger RT as notables). Behind the two exec rows lays the Aisle. To be politically correct, to the right of the second row lies a few aisle spots but get mistaken/generalized for exec. Impossible to see to the untrained eye, but if you look at the signage, it says aisle.

My advice for T3, is don't bother. Stick with T1 unless you're extremely curious/desperate!

Here's an attempt at a diagram of the main area we are mostly interested in (the number of letters does not depict the actual number of spots, just a rough estimation)
E - Exec spots
A - Aisle spots
N - Enterprise spots

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAA
EEEEE Booth EEEEENNNNN

--------Entrance--------

To the left of the diagram lays the reserve/alamo (shared) and the National/Alamo exits. To the right is more Enterprise and it's exit. All on the same lot. All three companies use the same pool of vehicles, while usually higher mileage cars go to enterprise/aisle from my observations, possibly determined by the car fetchers as they drive em in. The really, really high mileage ones go to Budget LOL. (I hate budget with a passion)

Anyways, I've taken a look at the selection today at just past 7 AM, but I have a meeting and I'm only picking a car later today. It's pretty empty and meh, but here are the notables:

Exec 1
Exec 2
- 2 Chargers (how do you know if they are higher end or not without going inside? from what I've seen, the trim isn't written on it unless it's an SRT or RT)
- Jeep wrangler
- Taurus SEL eco
- Edge SEL
- Maxima

Aisle, I only got half of it pictured.. The agent was on to me when I was taking the other half lol!
- 3 Chrysler 200 (not pictured)
- Jetta
- Grand Cherokee?

I was told by the agent that the selection usually gets better as the day progresses, but this week has been pretty bad because of the long weekend, as expected.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: National Emerald, Avis Preferred Plus
^ Thanks for the guide!

Yeah, when I rented from YYZ last month, I went to T3 cause I was on WestJet, plus the LINK train was out of service, and I had a couple of friends with me.

Terminal 3 seemed pretty chaotic. They've got the booth off to the right as you come into the entrance, with the ES lane to the left, and it's all of 4 spaces long. Then there were a few spots next to those which I assumed was the EA. In the lane behind was returns and the Reserve section. The whole place felt really cramped. I was tempted to walk out and go over to T1.

When I arrived, it seemed like there were cars everywhere, parked whatever which way. The agent came right up to me as we walked into the lot. Right away I said I was Emerald and had a full size reserved. She offered me a Jetta, a Charger from the ES, a Sonata, a '13 Malibu LT that I didn't see right away, and an older-style Mazda 6.

I probably would have opted for the Sonata, but one of my friends remarked that it smelled like smoke. At this point, I was definitely considering a hike over to Terminal 1.

Right away, I asked if they had any Fusions (I would have settled for a '12), as it was my first choice, having heard so many good things about the '13 MY and never driven one.

She replied that she didn't have any. But there was a rental god smiling on me, because one of the attendants just happened to drive up in a '13 Fusion from the return lanes. She barely got to say "Oh, there's one now" before I said "I'll take it!"

I noticed it had an SE badge (I was hoping for Titanium), but I didn't care. The attendant pulled it into a spot for me, handed me the keys, and grinned as he said "That's a NICE car, man. Enjoy!"

The car was brand new, with only 2,000 km's on it. When I returned it, it was a similar situation, albeit slightly less chaotic. Before renting, I had called ahead to the location a couple days ahead, asking about the selection at T3 versus T1. The agent said it didn't really matter too much because if I really wanted something, they could apparently order it from T1. Not sure if that's true, because I never had to do it. But if that Fusion hadn't come along, I probably would have asked them to pull one from T1.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:18 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
YYZ T1 19h00 06-13

EA full of stored cars. ES had a couple GMC Terrains, Grand Cherokee, a Maxima, couple Edges, couple Ford Taurus (well equipped). In the end I had them grab me a Ford Fusion Titanium AWD being pulled into a spot over at Alamo.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
T1 July 17 @ 00:30 AM.

Lot was pretty much empty.

Exec :
- 3 Chrysler 200 convertibles
- Dodge Durango
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:55 am

Picked up a base Sonata hybrid (FCAH) at T1 on July 18 around 10PM on the Exec lot. There were a lot of Genesis as well.

Anyone know if this is out of the ordinary or if YYZ is has a good stock of hybrid cars? I've never seen a hybrid here before...
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:11 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by mapelle621
Picked up a base Sonata hybrid (FCAH) at T1 on July 18 around 10PM on the Exec lot. There were a lot of Genesis as well.

Anyone know if this is out of the ordinary or if YYZ is has a good stock of hybrid cars? I've never seen a hybrid here before...

First I have heard of one there. What is the mileage?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
First I have heard of one there. What is the mileage?
I got it with 8500 km and left it with 10500 km.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:46 pm

To add to my reply, the Sonata hybrid also had Ontario plates so it couldn't have com from far away...

4:00 PM July 28 T1. Couldn't help but look everywhere for a hybrid. No luck.

EA
- A ton of chrysler 200s
- Kia Optima hatch
- Elantras

ES
- Fusion Titaniums (yes folks! it's officially an FCAR at YYZ)
- 2 Taurus SEL, 2 Limited
- 1 Edge SEL, 1 Edge Sport (I'm surprised it didn't come with perforated leather)
- 4 Dodge Chargers
- Sonatas
- VW Passat base
- Maxima with cloth
- Buick lacrosse cloth
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Cars at YYZ

Fusions officially moved to FCAR system wide a month ago or so. I don't mind really, would much rather a Fusion Titanium than a plain as plaid Altima or Camry.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Fusions officially moved to FCAR system wide a month ago or so. I don't mind really, would much rather a Fusion Titanium than a plain as plaid Altima or Camry.
Yep, got confirmation from a manager a few days ago.

I agree, Fusion Titanium still a great deal.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by mapelle621
EA
- Kia Optima hatch

ES
- Maxima with cloth
Not sure what Kia you saw on the EA. The Optima is a full-size twin the the Sonata and only comes in a 4-door sedan (though styled like a 4-door coupe). Was it perhaps a Forte5? Similar size to the Elantra and comes as a 5-door hatchback. Not trying to pick over details I'm just genuinely curious as to what Kia they had in stock.

Also the Maxima with cloth I'm guessing was a US-plated vehicle. I just checked the Nissan website and the 3.5 SV (only trim level) is still showing leather seats as standard for 2013.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Not sure what Kia you saw on the EA. The Optima is a full-size twin the the Sonata and only comes in a 4-door sedan (though styled like a 4-door coupe). Was it perhaps a Forte5? Similar size to the Elantra and comes as a 5-door hatchback. Not trying to pick over details I'm just genuinely curious as to what Kia they had in stock.

Also the Maxima with cloth I'm guessing was a US-plated vehicle. I just checked the Nissan website and the 3.5 SV (only trim level) is still showing leather seats as standard for 2013.
You're absolutely right about the Kia, it was a Forte5! I'm not sure why I wrote Optima now that I think of it.

And the Maxima definitely did not have leather seats. It may have been a US plate, I can't remember. I'll check next time I see one.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:42 am

Went to YYZ T1 this past Friday night (around 11pm) and found the lots to be filled with many Dodge Chargers, Hyundai Sonatas, and Nissan Maximas. In the EA aisle, they had a Hyundai Genesis(we took), a VW Passat, and a Kia Optima, that were both lower end models.

Surprisingly though, there were many Dodge Challengers that we saw being rented out by National! These were all R/T versions and in many different colours and styles. Unfortunately, I couldn't get upgraded as many were for special rentals already booked.

Other notables:

-Nissa XTerra
-BMW X1
-Lincoln MKX
-Infiniti EX37

Brought the Genesis back at the Toronto downtown location this morning. Nothing special except for what looked to be a return of a Dodge Challenger R/T.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: National Executive, Avis First
This is my first time renting from National at YYZ, I am not sure what to expect. My reservation says "Emerald Reserve" honestly not sure what this means.

I have a reservation for a mid size suv at T1, what car selection should I expect? If I don't like what I see, can I choose something from the full size car selections? I just have the Emerald Club

my reservation is for a pick up at 9pm

Last edited by jordanf56; Aug 19, 2013 at 8:53 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by jordanf56
This is my first time renting from National at YYZ, I am not sure what to expect. My reservation says "Emerald Reserve" honestly not sure what this means.

I have a reservation for a mid size suv at T1, what car selection should I expect? If I don't like what I see, can I choose something from the full size car selections? I just have the Emerald Club

my reservation is for a pick up at 9pm

mid size suv on top of my head: escape, journey, sorento... the few escape I took from national have nav with it, usually my preferred choice despite lack of power.
if you don't like what they have for you, you can ask for reservation adjustment to a full size car... should be way cheaper then a suv rental.. and then pick from the aisle(which may have suv minivan)

https://www.nationalcar.ca/index.do?...withnav-header

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.