Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: National Emerald, Avis Preferred Plus
Heading to YYZ in a couple of weeks for a weekend, and I've got a couple of questions.

1) What can one expect to see in the FCAR section? I'm assuming nothing but Impalas, Malibus and Altimas?

2) Do they at least have the newer models? And when I say that, I mean the '14 Impala (pipe dream, right?), '13 Malibu, and '13 Altima.

3) As a follow up to my other post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...l#post20767631), even though I booked a Full Size (Emerald Reserve), would I still be allowed to pick from the EA?

4) If I hate the FCAR selection, would they let me have a Fusion ('12 or '13) from the Standard lanes?

5) I'll be flying WestJet, so I'll be coming into T3. How is the selection at T3 nowadays compared to T1?
Old May 17, 2013, 9:28 pm

^^ Got answers to 3 and 4 in the Q/A thread (yes on both counts).

Another thing as well...I'll be landing in Toronto after sunset. Based on past experiences, am I going to find that the selection will be much slimmer at that time, versus during the day?
Old May 19, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by turbov6
The 2014 Mustangs GT convertibles do not have MyKey enabled. I upgraded to one on a single weekday rental and it had around 1700 kms on it.
I just rented a red one with around 2000kms on it. I had a premium res and was able to convince the agent to let me take a Mustang. It had mykey enabled, but nothing was limited. All it did was turn off the radio if I didn't put my seatbelt on.

Regular Exec selection was pretty bad. Seems they have mostly base model cars now. No limited fords, and buicks with no leather.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Stealth22
Heading to YYZ in a couple of weeks for a weekend, and I've got a couple of questions.

1) What can one expect to see in the FCAR section? I'm assuming nothing but Impalas, Malibus and Altimas?

2) Do they at least have the newer models? And when I say that, I mean the '14 Impala (pipe dream, right?), '13 Malibu, and '13 Altima.

3) As a follow up to my other post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...l#post20767631), even though I booked a Full Size (Emerald Reserve), would I still be allowed to pick from the EA?

4) If I hate the FCAR selection, would they let me have a Fusion ('12 or '13) from the Standard lanes?

5) I'll be flying WestJet, so I'll be coming into T3. How is the selection at T3 nowadays compared to T1?
1) pretty much what you said, i would imagine sonata may be in that catagory also

2) last time I pass by yyz i did not notice

3) yes

4) talk to agent, i bet it can be worked out without much hassle.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:16 pm

Thanks! ^

I guess I'll see what happens when I get there...it'll depend on what they park on the EA, but I'm not expecting much.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:25 pm

Has anyone been by the T3 location at YYZ recently? Is it really worth the bus ride over to T1?
Old May 22, 2013, 2:50 pm

Cars at YYZ

Go to t1 double the size waay more options.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:06 pm

That's what I thought. Problem is, I'm going to have a few friends with me, and I doubt they'd be willing to go along for a ride to T1.

Might just have to say "wait here, I'll get the car and bring it around". Should I be going to T3 first, or just don't bother and go straight to T1?

And, I'm assuming there's no issue if I rent from T1 and return the car to T3?
Old May 22, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
That's what I thought. Problem is, I'm going to have a few friends with me, and I doubt they'd be willing to go along for a ride to T1.

Might just have to say "wait here, I'll get the car and bring it around". Should I be going to T3 first, or just don't bother and go straight to T1?

And, I'm assuming there's no issue if I rent from T1 and return the car to T3?
Problem is that the link train is out of service right now. So it takes a good 15 minutes to get from T3 to T1 due to the time it takes to walk to the bus, wait for the bus, and then drive to T1.

I've had no problems renting from T1 and then returning to T3. T1's selection is way better. Easily 2x - 3x the amount of cars at T3.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by xienon
Problem is that the link train is out of service right now. So it takes a good 15 minutes to get from T3 to T1 due to the time it takes to walk to the bus, wait for the bus, and then drive to T1.

I've had no problems renting from T1 and then returning to T3. T1's selection is way better. Easily 2x - 3x the amount of cars at T3.
Yeah, saw that on their website today. But I called National @ YYZ to ask about their FCAR selection, and the agent mentioned that it doesn't really matter because both locations can pull cars from each other's lots and have them brought out to you if necessary.

If the EA selection is no good, I can always walk over to the FCAR or SCAR lanes to see what's back there. A '13 Fusion Titanium would be ideal (I'd take an SE though!), but if I have to take a Malibu or Altima, I'm hoping for a '13 model with some decent options.

He told me that Fridays are usually pretty good (Mondays are worse, apparently), but even if the selection is dismal, I can politely ask them to upgrade me or order something from T1.

I'll report back with what I see on the EA/ES. Thanks, all!

Last edited by Stealth22; May 22, 2013 at 11:11 pm
Old May 22, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
Yeah, saw that on their website today. But I called National @ YYZ to ask about their FCAR selection, and the agent mentioned that it doesn't really matter because both locations can pull cars from each other's lots and have them brought out to you if necessary.

If the EA selection is no good, I can always walk over to the FCAR or SCAR lanes to see what's back there. A '13 Fusion Titanium would be ideal (I'd take an SE though!), but if I have to take a Malibu or Altima, I'm hoping for a '13 model with some decent options.

He told me that Fridays are usually pretty good (Mondays are worse, apparently), but even if the selection is dismal, I can politely ask them to upgrade me or order something from T1.

I'll report back with what I see on the EA/ES. Thanks, all!
I have never seen an altima with good options(In yul... yyz... ywg... yvr).... most of the time no Bluetooth, no back up camera, no heated seat, and worse of all.... many of the 2012 model does not even have mp3 cd capability.
Tried it in hertz, enterprise and I would assume national will be the same.
On the other hand, malibu/impala is usually a little bit more well equipped. But I can't drive them as I get injured very easily by them. Since the modification they made on the 2012 model.

Last edited by Belinik; May 23, 2013 at 1:55 am
Old May 23, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Belinik
I have never seen an altima with good options(In yul... yyz... ywg... yvr).... most of the time no Bluetooth, no back up camera, no heated seat, and worse of all.... many of the 2012 model does not even have mp3 cd capability.
Yeah, most rental agencies don't carry any Altimas higher than 2.5S. That's from what I've seen, and its in the ride reports index as well. I checked the report on the '13 Malibu, and apparently National has mostly ordered that car in the 2LT trim, which has some decent options.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I saw a fusion last time I was in YYZ a month ago. Didn't see a ecoboost badge so it was a pretty basic model.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
I got a fusion as well.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:37 pm

Tonight @ T3, 10pm

Selection wasn't too bad. Cars were parked in a scattered pattern.

I noticed a Camry, a Charger and a few SUV's (one was a Jeep) on the ES.

I was offered a Jetta, '13 Malibu, Mazda 6, a Charger from the ES, and a Sonata that smelled bad.

I asked about the Fusion, which was my preference. The agent said that she didn't have any, but then noticed a '13 Fusion SE coming in from the returns, which I took.

I was surprised how tiny the location was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.