Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Ride Report: 2024 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite

2024 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy with HTRAC in Typhoon Silver

Class: Standard Crossover AWD (SFAR)

Pick Up: 2/3 1:00 AM @ 753 miles
Drop Off: 2/5 4:30 PM @ 1161 miles

I originally had originally picked up a Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude for this trip, which I did not enjoy at all. Ride wasn't that great, tech was very subpar, and I just hated the way the steering wheel felt. The only things it had going for it was the exterior looks since it was black on black (which was questionable since it had a huge barcode sticker on the top right of the windshield and swirls everywhere), and the interior space since I had the captain seating arrangement with 3rd row. I was very surprised by this due to the fact that reading the latest ride report, and just my general image of the JGC. Maybe this was just a one off, or due to the fact it had over 14k miles. So I opted to swap out the JGC, and picked up this Palisade. I had almost swapped for a Jeep Wrangler Sahara, but I am so glad I didn't. I preferred a 3rd row, but didn't necessarily need it. I was almost disappointed that I got this Palisade, but oh was I wrong.

Exterior:
I wouldn't say that this car is good looking by any means, but it doesn't look bad. It looks…unique. It takes on Hyundai's typical design language and translates it into a larger form factor. Hyundai, has been cooking recently with all their vehicles with their features and design - aside from the Kia Boys situation. I enjoyed the rear lighting, which had a huge brake like which I seem to think is cool for some reason. The headlights are very low which gives it a strange look from the outside, but didn't interfere with visibility at all. The wheels I also don't think look great, but they look fine. It reminds me of a the Lincoln Navigator wheels. Typhoon Silver, with the silver wheels, and the silver/chrome trim on the exterior is not a look for me. I would most definitely take Night trim over the regular Calligraphy if I owned one, but still the satin finish on the grille just doesn’t sit right with me. I think the Kia Telluride looks much better, but it lacks features compared to the Calligraphy.

Interior:
I was so, so surprised by this interior. I had a good image or Hyundai and Genesis, and I know they have been stepping up their game but I was still surprised. It was a black interior with nappa leather, so the seats were very comfortable. The infortaiment screen was very large and responsive, and had a bunch of random features (quiet mode, and talk mode or something like that). The second row was extremely spacious, and it reminds me how nice captain's chairs can been. The second row really reminded me of a domestic first class seat with the headrest. But oh boy is it nice to just recline and fall asleep in captain's chairs. Sunshades that fill the whole window on the second row was also nice. Heating and ventilated for first and second row, and heated for third is crazy. Power adjusting 3rd row was nice, especially since I went from carrying kids in that row, to needing the space, and then kids again. The kids also seemed to enjoy the power recline. CHARGING PORTS EVERYWHERE. Except no wireless carplay which is really surprising. Sound system was solid with Harmon Kardon speakers. The rearview mirror was also a mirror that would be a camera. A little weird for me to get used to, but nice when large boxes or heads are blocking your view. Ergo motion, Hyundai's "massaging seat" was…fine. I feel like it just presses your bottom and lower back and it is nice for long drives, but nothing crazy. Split panoramic sun roof, and openable sunroof in the front, and a large moonroof in the rear. I prefer a continuous one, but it was still very nice. To top it all off, and nice suede headliner.

Driving:
Overall a decent ride, nothing super luxurious but I still preferred it much more than the JGC. Wasn't quick by any means, but sufficient power. The JGC to me had a very touchy gas pedal, or at least way more than what I was used to. I feel like if I was on the freeway in the JGC, I'd put my foot down just a fair amount to speed up or pass someone it'd kick down 2 gears and feel like I'm trying to drive way more aggressively than I am intending to (especially with passengers in the car). Anyways, the digital driver display was pretty nice. Not super customizable, but still very solid. HUD was nice and very descriptive. Except I found that I ended up duplicate what I see on the tach/speed display with the HUD. Driver assistance was good. I felt like the LKAS and centering didn't bounce around that much, and the automated lane changing was fine. Feel like a lot of these features are somewhat gimmicky, but maybe I am just not used to them. I did like that all the driver assistance was very adjustable. Overall the driving experience was fine, nothing spectacular but drives and rides like how I'd expect a larger midsize SUV to drive.

I was very impressed by the Palisade in general. I feel like typically you see lower trims of the Palisade in the National fleet, but maybe not. The Calligraphy truly makes a difference with all of its features. I would argue that this was a better experience than the Q7 and an Atlas I had by far. It also seems even more impressive since I went from a mid-trim JGC, to a top trim Palisade. I was really recommend a Palisade Calligraphy as a rental car, but I couldn't say the same for lower trims - or maybe that is still my underlying belief that Hyundai/Kia makes lower quality cars showing.

Oh and sorry the lack of pictures. I typically take a lot but I had forgotten until I was filling it up right before I returned it. I also forgot my garage opener in the car when I returned it…

xienon likes this.

Last edited by aovus; Feb 9, 2024 at 10:09 am Reason: Spacing changes
Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Saw a couple of Calligraphies at JFK today so they're slowly getting more popular in the fleet.

A pretty nice feature the calligraphy has is the side view cameras that show up in the instrument panel when turn signals are on.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:09 pm

Grand Cherokee(2 rows) and grand Cherokee L(3 rows)
​​​​​feel like two different vehicle, even though it doesn't look that much different from the outside.

PS. Feel like the palisade XRT looks better, but I would take calligraphy for the added features.

xienon likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:07 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by aovus
Except no wireless carplay which is really surprising.
For whatever reason, current Hyundai models either have a large infotainment screen with only wired CarPlay/Android Auto, or a smaller infotainment screen with wireless CarPlay/Android Auto.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74
For whatever reason, current Hyundai models either have a large infotainment screen with only wired CarPlay/Android Auto, or a smaller infotainment screen with wireless CarPlay/Android Auto.
For what it's worth, there may be hope since some European Hyundai models got it retroactively with a software update. Doesn't help anyone renting/buying one now though.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/11/08/wirel...-cars-sort-of/
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:54 am

The Palisade Calligraphy is the best vehicle on the ES imo! The HDA2 Driving Assistance feature is excellent for long distance trips.

I'm hoping National gets the new 2024 Santa Fe Calligraphies soon! Those look very nice.
funnyfarm299 likes this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Feb 11, 2024 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Put about 400 miles on a 2024 Palisade Calligraphy today. Had 2,600 miles on the odometer.

Initial thoughts...
  • Exterior looks great.
  • Interior quality is subpar... steering wheel cover is already unstitched and falling off, moonroof shade is hard to open, headline glue strings hanging down, cupholders are over-engineered and a failure point.
  • Dash interface isn't bad. Missing wireless CarPlay is inexcusable in 2024.
  • Auto safe driving features are intrusive, but can be turned off.
  • Auto-adjusting seat is an interesting benefit. Helps a bit over long periods of driving.
  • I like that the rear-facing cameras in the side mirrors appear on the dash while the turn signals are on.
  • Getting 23.5 mpg over 400 highway miles.
  • Plenty of charging ports. But, no notch or cable pass-through from the center console charging ports through the tambour door.
  • Suede headliner is an interesting material selection. Looks great until the kids drag their fingers through it.
  • Buttons are light tan or silver, with blue backlighting. The blue lighting is very difficult to see in bright ambient light. Looks great at night, though.

xienon and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:07 pm

The Standard SUV class is looking really nice lately. I had a 2024 Mazda CX-90 Signature, which is in the same class. It's a nice car with a few idiosyncrasies. No touchscreen, no lane centering highway assist, weird driver display setup, and I'm not loving the mild hybrid system. A bit disappointing for a just released vehicle.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden
The Standard SUV class is looking really nice lately. I had a 2024 Mazda CX-90 Signature, which is in the same class. It's a nice car with a few idiosyncrasies. No touchscreen, no lane centering highway assist, weird driver display setup, and I'm not loving the mild hybrid system. A bit disappointing for a just released vehicle.
the top trim cx90 gets touch screen, but it only works in Android Auto/Apple Carplay and not the native Mazda interface
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by aww3583
  • Interior quality is subpar... steering wheel cover is already unstitched and falling off, moonroof shade is hard to open, headline glue strings hanging down, cupholders are over-engineered and a failure point.
Wow that stitching is pretty bad for a car with less than 3k miles
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:16 am

I've since spotted Palisade XRT and Calligraphy Night Editions at National on the Executive Aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.