Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

One-Two Free 2010 – Earn 8/22/10-1/31/11; Redeem thru 6/25/11 (modified from 6/30)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-Two Free 2010 – Earn 8/22/10-1/31/11; Redeem thru 6/25/11 (modified from 6/30)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Extended rentals

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
How were you able to determine this- empirically, or from a T&C somewhere?

I'm beginning to think this isn't the case (any longer?); I just finished the 2nd of the 4 upcoming 12-day rentals, and so far all I've gotten is the free day earned from the (2 x 3) credits and I guess an upcoming a 1-2-F day (that will supposedly credit this Friday as reported here). It's too bad if this 7-day thing isn't the case, though.
Just obtained Executive level (12 rentals). I received a mailing w/ my card and inside the pamphlet was the following:

Rental Length: Credits Earned:
01-07 days _ Credits: 1
08-11 days _ Credits: 2
12-15 days _ Credits: 3
16-19 days _ Credits: 4+

Not sure if this is just at Executive level...but thought I'd mention it since there was a lot of confusion.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by dgoedken
Not sure if this is just at Executive level
Thanks, but these are the standard credit-earning levels for National EC (1 rental credit for every 4 days). What Ritz had said was:
every 7 days of a continuous rental yields 1 free day in the [1-2-F] promo
... which is different, and seems to apply only to long-term rentals.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a size restriction on the revenue rentals to qualify?

Hertz has been winning me over on price and features lately. I have a "taxi substitute" rental coming up where the car doesn't matter, National can match Hertz's intermediate price with a compact. I know I will lose aisle benefits but half way to a free day makes up for it.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express

Hertz has been winning me over on price and features lately. I have a "taxi substitute" rental coming up where the car doesn't matter, National can match Hertz's intermediate price with a compact. I know I will lose aisle benefits but half way to a free day makes up for it.
With National you'll also be earning 'regular' free day credit. As well, you can use any applicable coupon with National (upgrade, $ off, etc.).

Ron.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
With National you'll also be earning 'regular' free day credit. As well, you can use any applicable coupon with National (upgrade, $ off, etc.).

Ron.
+2 ^
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Yes.

One Free Rental Day will be awarded for every two qualifying rentals made after the date on which the member has registered and between August 22, 2010, and January 31, 2011. Credit will not be given for rentals made prior to a member's registration date. A qualifying rental is the paid rental, via The Emerald Club®, of a Midsize or larger vehicle at participating locations in the 50 United States, including the District of Columbia, for a period of two or more consecutive days during the promotion.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jackal
I have done the following:

1) Registered for the promotion (I already received the welcome "free weekend day" email, which is mostly worthless to me)
2) Opted in for email promotions (apparently, I get one rental credit for this; I take it that this counts as if I had rented a car)
3) Referred several friends (not sure who has signed up yet; I will be making sure at least one does)
4) Rented a car (weekend special here in ANC, where it's now the off-season: midsize for $19/day [minus 15% with EC code]; total with tax $50 for 2 days--not bad for National!); hopefully ANC is not a non-participating location )

It's a bit confusing with the different ways to earn credit (email newsletter signup, referrals, and actual rentals). If I'm understanding the T&C correctly, I've earned the following:

1) Received one rental credit for signing up for email promotions
2) Received one free day for referring a friend
3) Received (well, will receive when I return) one rental credit for renting a car meeting the minimum criteria (midsize for two days, assuming ANC participates)

As I calculate it, I actually now have two free days. Am I misunderstanding this?

This is all guesswork, since nothing has showed up in my account yet (it still says I haven't earned anything).

Assuming the $50 midsize rental here in ANC was necessary for me to earn a free day (which it might not have been, but whatever), I count this a very useful promo: my total out-of-pocket for the one-way NYC-DCA will be $70 ($50 for this rental plus $20 in taxes on the free rental), whereas Amtrak would have been $98 for the two of us (and wouldn't have allowed us to sightsee on the drive down) and a straight paid rental would have been $145.

Oh, interestingly--not related to this promo at all, since it happened before I registered and was only for one day--but the guy who rented me a car at Enterprise the other day accidentally pulled up my EC member number instead of my E-Plus number. It shows the rental in my National rental history, and I got a (standard) rental credit for it! ^
OK, so updating my post above, here is what I've done:

1) Registered for the promotion (I already received the welcome "free weekend day" email, which is mostly worthless to me*)
2) Opted in for email promotions (apparently, I get one rental credit for this; I take it that this counts as if I had rented a car)
3) Referred several friends (not sure who has signed up yet; I will be making sure at least one does)
4) Rented a car (weekend special here in ANC, where it's now the off-season: midsize for $19/day [minus 15% with EC code]; total with tax $50 for 2 days--not bad for National!); hopefully ANC is not a non-participating location )
5) Received a free day coupon code, which I used to do a one-way rental JFK-DCA. Total including $33 in refueling charges (yay for arriving 45 minutes before departure!), LDW, and a toll pass was $55. Not bad, since that rental would have otherwise cost over $200!
6) Did a paid three-day rental of a luxury car (charged for premium) from the Seattle downtown location (returned this morning, so the credit hasn't posted, obviously)

In other words, assuming I'm right about #2, I have 3 paid rental equivalents (two paid rentals plus the rental credit from signing up for promotional emails), and I've used 1 free day. I would need one more paid rental in order to get a free day.

I also have a worthless* free weekend day coupon and a potential free day coming if anyone I sent the invite to signs up for Emerald Club.

Unfortunately, the One-Two-Free promo site is not clear at all. There's no way to track your current progress towards the next promo. Perhaps it's possible I got the coupon code I did earlier because a friend I sent the invite to signed up for Emerald Club (no idea if any did), and I'm also misreading #2, which means that I'm currently sitting at 2/2 of the necessary rental credits for a free day and don't need another one.

The reason I bring this up is because there's another weekend special in ANC for about $50 all-in (for a two-day rental), and if I need another rental credit in order to get to the next free day threshold, then I want to take advantage of it (usually, even the weekend rates at National here are $40+ per day). But since I'm not 100% sure I'll have a good use for the free day credit, I don't want to pay $50 for an unnecessary rental if I don't need to (I need to be able to redeem my credit for at least a $50 value in order to make it worth my expense, and I can usually find rental cars for less than $50/day when I travel, unless I'm planning something like a one-way rental like I did earlier this month).

Can anyone help me clear up where I currently stand based on the above?

*Crap; I wish I had thought to try using it on my Seattle rental that I just dropped off. It probably would have fit the terms and conditions (it was a three-day rental) and saved me $50!

Last edited by jackal; Nov 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I dunno if this was covered already, but I cashed in a couple of my 1-2-F coupons last weekend, and got a rental credit upon checkout! Nice- didn't expect that!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:00 pm

Just did a one day and one hour with National. Though I was charged as 2 days but the system deducted just half the price for the second day (1 hour) rental. Will this rental be considered eligible for the promotion?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
Just did a one day and one hour with National. Though I was charged as 2 days but the system deducted just half the price for the second day (1 hour) rental. Will this rental be considered eligible for the promotion?
If you didn't pay for 2 days, the rental won't be considered eligible.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just saw this and signed up! ^
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hilton Silver (Yuck)
24 Hr. Heads up

I booked a rental within 24 hours of it actually starting. Technically, this is against the T&C, however, it seems a little nutty.

Has anyone had luck getting them to credit a rental like this, even though it was booked within the 24 hour threshold?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:57 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Has anyone received email notifications about their free days earned? I haven't received any and didn't realize until I saw the link in the first post in this thread that I have already earned three!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Has anyone received email notifications about their free days earned? I haven't received any and didn't realize until I saw the link in the first post in this thread that I have already earned three!
Me too, didn't receive any emails but when I checked the link it said I earned some days already!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I've been getting one statement per month. Up to 13 days so far

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.