Cars at DFW

Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shyam99
I have ordered the toll pass service (transponder) at DFW. Do you know if this is something that I need to pick up at the counter or is this something that is retrofitted with the cars?
I know that it is not in the cars already, but I am not sure if you get it at the desk or the gate.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:16 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I know that it is not in the cars already, but I am not sure if you get it at the desk or the gate.
I believe you can get it at the gate - since the checkout agent asked me in Nov if I needed one.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: United Platinum
ES yesterday afternoon (Saturday around 3pm) was packed with Journey's Lardeo's Cherokees and a few other assorted full size vehicles
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
EA seemed to have the similar selection as ExecA. I got a brand new Ford Escape Limited with roughly 100 miles (EA). I also noticed several new Sonata, Grand Cherokee, Minivans, Crown Victoria, Fusion, Beetles, Malibu, Kia SUV, and Camry. The ES did have two older Volvos.

Last edited by sna430; Apr 12, 2010 at 5:39 pm
Old May 19, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
zdcatc12, any update on your experiences of getting a transponder?

We are picking up a car this weekend at DFW, driving in around town + a sidetrip down to Austin and back - I'm not sure if I need to be taking non-cash toll roads, though I'd be happy to pay a few bucks a day extra to not have to fish for change or run the risk of using a toll road without knowing it.

Any experience on how much the transponder cost? Any advice would be appreciated...
Old May 22, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by a330marcus
zdcatc12, any update on your experiences of getting a transponder?

We are picking up a car this weekend at DFW, driving in around town + a sidetrip down to Austin and back - I'm not sure if I need to be taking non-cash toll roads, though I'd be happy to pay a few bucks a day extra to not have to fish for change or run the risk of using a toll road without knowing it.

Any experience on how much the transponder cost? Any advice would be appreciated...
When I rented a few weeks ago they asked me if I wanted to activate it at the time of rental and then the tolls were automatically charged to my card. I don't recall the fee though. They never actually gave me a physical transponder, I believe it was embedded in the car.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I had a reservation a little over a week ago and was surprised to find a Suburban on the Executive Aisle. I had a full-size SUV (Tahoe) reserved, but I made a new reservation for a mid-size car over my iPhone, cancelled my original reservation, and picked up the Suburban for a mid-size price.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny

Just a word of warning for people renting cars here - many (most?) freeways in the area are toll (and quite expensive) also supposedly some of the newer freeways are those that don't accept cash but only use those electronic transponder that you can get when you checkout the car - not sure what the cost is or how they bill you for the tolls since I didn't get one because where I was going I could get there with cash tolls (in about 150 miles - I must have spent close to $15 in tolls).
I believe National rents a transponder for around $3/day plus tolls. If you do not have one, the 2 toll roads closest to the airport 121 to Frisco and the GB turnpike to Garland are cash-free. If you don't have a transponder, they take a picture of the license plate and send the bill to National, which then sends it to a collection agency, which then charges you around $20 plus the tolls about 2 months after you incurred them.
The transponder is $2/day plus tolls. They don't actually give you a transponder...it is tied in with your rental car's license plate somehow. I'm currently in DFW with a Prius (and opted for the transponder option) from National for the weekend.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
300C

Originally Posted by openflync
Just picked up an 2010 Buick Lacrosse from ES. Most others were Dodge Chargers, Impalas, a couple of Kia Amatis and a lone Chyrsler 300C plus my Lacrosse at the very end.

The EA was mostly Dodge Challengers and some Pontiacs. Not a single SUV or crossover which came as a suprise.

My Lacrosse came equiped with an electronic toll card.
Are you sure it was a 300C? I've only ever seen the 300 Touring and once a Limited (I think that was MSP). I've never seen a 300C on a rental lot.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Exit

Originally Posted by shyam99
I have ordered the toll pass service (transponder) at DFW. Do you know if this is something that I need to pick up at the counter or is this something that is retrofitted with the cars?
They activate it when you exit.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: aa EXP, dl GM, mar LTPLT, hh DIA, spg PLT, ich AMB, nat EE, hertz PC
came in @ 2100 tonight.. the exec ailse didn't have a car on it at the moment. clean as a whilste.. the executuve selection.. jeeps., suburban, tahoe, pickp truck and a few others tossed in.

If you pull from the exec selec.. they will pull you a nice car if you ask to wait. I ended up getting a fully loaded Tahoe.. not bad for 135 a week '
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:05 pm

Landed DFW @ 19:00 6/29/2010 Exec Sel had 5 pickup trucks. and nothing else.. spoke to the attendant and they located a tahoe for me. not bad..
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:58 pm

Thursday, Juy 22, 2010

Got in Thursday around 5:30pm. Good selection of vehicles on the ES aisle. Several 300s and a new Taurus. A couple Sorrentos and quite a few Impalas and Grand Marquis. There was a 4x4 4dr F150 but it had cloth seats. I found the one new Buick LaCrosse and took it. Wow, what a great vehicle for the price point! Thoroughly enjoyed it however the blind spots in the vehicle are TERRIBLE!!!! The package with the rear sensors is not expensive at all and they would be really smart to get those on rentals.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:41 am

Mercedes@ DFW?

I noticed several Mercedes sitting at DFW the other day.. anyone know what class these are listed in?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by Deltican
I noticed several Mercedes sitting at DFW the other day.. anyone know what class these are listed in?
iirc, the C class are luxury and the Suvs are luxury suv. it's good to know they have this new selections which section they were parked at, in the lot?

moderators: do you think it's a good idea to merge this w/ the master thread for DFW?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.