National days numbered

Old Aug 19, 01, 10:15 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
National days numbered

If you are planning a National trip in September or later. I would make sure I booked with a credit card.

Word is they could shut down before the end of the month and if so that would be the only chance of protecting yourself.

Also with loads as heavy as they are protection on other airlines might be tuff.

Be advised. Things are bleak at National these days.

Old Aug 19, 01, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Anyone hear if Sun Country is still interested in buying National?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by acvitale:
If you are planning a National trip in September or later. I would make sure I booked with a credit card.

Word is they could shut down before the end of the month and if so that would be the only chance of protecting yourself.

Also with loads as heavy as they are protection on other airlines might be tuff.

Be advised. Things are bleak at National these days.

</font>
Old Aug 19, 01, 5:06 pm
CG

Care to post the source of "the word"? Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 01, 4:42 pm
Original Member

no! no! no!
Old Aug 20, 01, 4:51 pm

I also want to know the source of this "word". Living in Vegas, the newspapers and television stations have been suggesting National's demise for months and they're still flying. Every month there seems to be a "doomsday" report and every month I keep flying them (mostly to LA). So is your source any better than the newspaper and tv stations around here?

As for the Sun Country question, that was something else reported here by a newspaper a long time ago. Then the another paper had a story that it was American Trans Air. Everything I've seen in the press so far from the airline is that they aren't revealing who they are talking to. But as long as they keep flying and giving me my free first class upgrades, then I don't care who it is.
Old Aug 20, 01, 5:14 pm

I too would like to know the source of your statements. I flew National last night and happened to ask an employee about their financial status, and he claimed that new financing was in the works from one of their leasing company's. I certainly hope it's true, as I enjoy being able to afford 1st class!!

Thanks compsvipguy - seeing your 1 Post gave me the encouragement to quit lurking and become a "commenter" (If that's a word)

Old Aug 20, 01, 5:53 pm

Far from a technical analysis but last friday and this morning's redeye flight were oversold from chicago to vegas. There were over 20 people on the standby list for the 1:50 AM flight back. They sold at least a couple of extra first class tickets!

Flights went smoothly too

Charles
Old Aug 20, 01, 6:24 pm

No prob GDIW. I guess I didn't even think about it. A friend told me about this board so I thought I would check it out.

Looks like at least a few of us have enjoyed National's service. Hope what that employee told Charles is true.
Old Aug 21, 01, 10:13 am

Errr . . . I meant what GDIW was told by the National employee.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: