Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt > Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Reload this Page >

Mr and Mrs Smith / Hyatt Integration Teaser Announcement and Gift Card Promo [2023]

Mr and Mrs Smith / Hyatt Integration Teaser Announcement and Gift Card Promo [2023]

Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Colin
do you really think the White Water Inn in Cambria, CA would refuse to accept a MMS gift card to settle the folio at checkout in 2025 on a paid (not prepaid) stay booked at Hyatt.com? i don’t even think that would be legal under california law. gift cards are consumed at checkout, not at booking.

What you're describing is akin to buying an Uber eats gift card then expecting McDonald's to accept it as payment in-store. MMS gift cards seem to only have value via mms.com or over the phone.
JackE likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by kevinjm

What you're describing is akin to buying an Uber eats gift card then expecting McDonald's to accept it as payment in-store. MMS gift cards seem to only have value via mms.com or over the phone.
expecting to use a MMS gift card at a MMS property is not the same as expecting to use an Uber gift card at McDonalds. these new gift cards are being sold by hyatt as a quick & easy way to get Hyatt members to start MMS bookings. It makes sense hyatt is able to easily update IT systems to get gift cards attached at booking. my
prediction is the stated restrictions will not hold over time. hyatt will update mms property systems to accept gift cards on site, as hyatt wants to sell normal gift cards without this weird restriction to at booking only. i predict hyatt will not want 2 categories of mms gift cards going forward for years & years.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
you lose $800 taxable dollars a year in foregone money market dividends.
Ahh, true. My mind is still living in the 0% interest era - need to fix that

why do you think Chase will credit 4x for these gift card purchases?

A little vague, but seems to imply WoH Visa purchases might get the 4X bonus. But I would confirm this first before pulling the trigger (which I'm doubting I'll do regardless).
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:18 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
my prediction is the stated restrictions will not hold over time. hyatt will update mms property systems to accept gift cards on site, as hyatt wants to sell normal gift cards without this weird restriction to at booking only. i predict hyatt will not want 2 categories of mms gift cards going forward for years & years.
Currently when we stay at SLH hotels, we can only burn SLH gift cards if the stay was booked via SLH.com. We can use the gift cards at time of booking or at time of check-out, but SLH hotels do not accept SLH gift cards if I booked via Hyatt.com, or even if booked directly via the hotel's own website, and it's been like that for years.

Admittedly MMS-Hyatt will not be the same as SLH-Hyatt but I would not take the leap of faith that we will be able to redeem MMS gift cards on stays booked on Hyatt.com in the future. You could be right though, time will tell, but I would definitely not bet on it and I don't think odds are in favor.

Regarding your point about selling two categories of gift cards, Hyatt could simply discontinue selling MMS gift cards, and allow guests to redeem Hyatt gift cards for either Hyatt stays or MMS stays when booked on Hyatt's website. They are doing this now (two categories of gift cards) simply because MMS are temporarily not possible to book on Hyatt's website.
Colin and kevinjm like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
Ahh, true. My mind is still living in the 0% interest era - need to fix that
You will also get about $13-14k worth of hotels for your $15k spent so you forego $1-2k by having booked via MMS rather than having booked directly with these hotels.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Currently when we stay at SLH hotels, we can only burn SLH gift cards if the stay was booked via SLH.com. We can use the gift cards at time of booking or at time of check-out, but SLH hotels do not accept SLH gift cards if I booked via Hyatt.com, or even if booked directly via the hotel's own website, and it's been like that for years.

Admittedly MMS-Hyatt will not be the same as SLH-Hyatt but I would not take the leap of faith that we will be able to redeem MMS gift cards on stays booked on Hyatt.com in the future. You could be right though, time will tell, but I would definitely not bet on it and I don't think odds are in favor.

Regarding your point about selling two categories of gift cards, Hyatt could simply discontinue selling MMS gift cards, and allow guests to redeem Hyatt gift cards for either Hyatt stays or MMS stays when booked on Hyatt's website. They are doing this now (two categories of gift cards) simply because MMS are temporarily not possible to book on Hyatt's website.
thank you for the analysis. i had no idea Hyatt-booked paid (not prepaid) SLH stays could not have the folio settled at check-out via an SLH gift card. agree that MMS-Hyatt will have a closer relationship than SLH-Hyatt because Hyatt owns MMS. i can't imagine Hyatt's long term plan is to maintain MMS booking channels as forever outside WoH.

i'm not advising anyone to load up on these MMS gift cards under the hope of a second-dip in 2025. just my assessment from an IT career that this new MMS gift card limitation to at-booking only is not a management/commercial decision and is instead simply the quickest available win to start cross-pollinating Hyatt members into MMS universe.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:54 pm

Seems like there is a window where this deal is advantageous. If one plans to book hotels at >$300/might rates, you might come out in good shape. 4 nights at $400 per night booked on the MMS site could be paid with 5 $300 gift cards plus change so that you get 5 EQN for 4 nights stayed.
rota likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:42 pm

i had no idea Hyatt-booked paid (not prepaid) SLH stays could not have the folio settled at check-out via an SLH gift card.
Sometimes SLH sells their gift cards with a bonus although with an expiration date. I can certainly understand that SLH would not accept that such gift cards are used for stays booked outside their own SLH platform (direct with the hotel or via Hyatt). Because Hyatt now owns MMS (and not SLH) it's a bit different but I think there are nonetheless some similarities.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:29 am

I’m really interested if there is a straightforward way to resell and transfer these gift cards. Given the 5x points and elite night credits this could be a great way to buy points at a discount and bank some elite credits if you are short.
a $3000 gift card will earn 15,000 hyatt points and 10 nights. Selling the gift card at a 10% discount ends up with a 2 cent per point purchase, and I regularly end up with 3-6 cents for most of my stays. Selling them for more makes the points more expensive but is still a cheap way of earning 10 nights in this case. Selling for $2500 would get you 10 nights for $500. Pretty good deal if you are short.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by escape4
Sometimes SLH sells their gift cards with a bonus although with an expiration date. I can certainly understand that SLH would not accept that such gift cards are used for stays booked outside their own SLH platform (direct with the hotel or via Hyatt). Because Hyatt now owns MMS (and not SLH) it's a bit different but I think there are nonetheless some similarities.
Further, Hyatt gift cards can't be used at SLH properties regardless of where they're booked, which seems to indicate that the same will be the case for MMS properties.

It seems the relationship between MMS and the properties they list is the same as SLH and the properties they list. In fact, some of the properties overlap. MMS and SLH are just alternate direct booking options that operate on value-added commision, as opposed to third-party bookings (e.g, OTAs, booking.com).
With the MMS acquisition hyatt.com becomes another direct booking option for MMS-listed properties. I would expect a level of separation between Hyatt and MMS-listed properties as Hyatt does not/will not manage them.
I don't foresee even a future Hyatt gift card to be accepted at MMS-listed properties.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:25 pm

Bought $600 worth of the gift cards with WOH Visa, just to ensure that I'll get to 60 nights this year. Don't see the elite nights or points credited to Hyatt account yet, but Chase shows 4x the points. Just FYI.
escape4, iluvdoco, kevinjm and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by DJPedro
I’m really interested if there is a straightforward way to resell and transfer these gift cards. Given the 5x points and elite night credits this could be a great way to buy points at a discount and bank some elite credits if you are short.
a $3000 gift card will earn 15,000 hyatt points and 10 nights. Selling the gift card at a 10% discount ends up with a 2 cent per point purchase, and I regularly end up with 3-6 cents for most of my stays. Selling them for more makes the points more expensive but is still a cheap way of earning 10 nights in this case. Selling for $2500 would get you 10 nights for $500. Pretty good deal if you are short.
I suspect that on average, booking a room via MMS comes out at least 10% more expensive than booking direct with the hotel. Consequently if I had such gift cards I would be similarly willing to sell them at 10% discount, if it was allowed by the terms & conditions.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:58 pm

Are the gift cards tied to your WOH account in any way, or are they simply a redemption code?
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by DJPedro
Math is even better if you account for the credit card rewards from the purchase…e.g. 4X Hyatt points (if that is the case, initial DPs seem to say yes?) or otherwise at least 3X on travel or 1.5-2X on spend depending on what card you use…so $3000 spend could actually earn not just 15,000 Hyatt points but between maybe 19,500-27,000 depending on what cards you have/use…. If the 4X WOH points works then spending $300 (I.e. if could resell for 90%) for 27000 Hyatt points is only 1.11c per point, so that’s even better!

it seems a bit too good to be true though so I’m guessing even if they can be resold, the price would get pushed down by oversupply…I.e. if Hyatt ran a promotion today that said “buy unlimited amount of Hyatt points at 1.11c each and get an elite qualifying night for every 2700 points you buy”, people would jump all over that…

but definitely curious if someone who had bought already can report back how these gift cards are delivered I.e. can they be sold/transferred!
Old Nov 5, 2023, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Kirk T
Bought $600 worth of the gift cards with WOH Visa, just to ensure that I'll get to 60 nights this year. Don't see the elite nights or points credited to Hyatt account yet, but Chase shows 4x the points. Just FYI.
How did you buy $600 of gift cards though? Was it a 500 + 100? Would they actually count cumulatively?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.