Hyatt Acquires Mr and Mrs Smith

Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:09 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Hyatt Acquires Mr and Mrs Smith

Big news: Hyatt has just announced the full acquisition of the ~1500 property-strong Mr & Mrs Smith platform for 53 million GBP, opening up Hyatt options in over 20 countries without a presence such as Fiji, Croatia, Iceland and Anguilla. Closing is expected in Q2 this year.

I would expect IHG to lose its tie up with the platform once this closes - oof.

khabah
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
WOW!

To be honest, I rather prefer Mr & Mrs Smith as an option for burning IHG points at often attractive cent / point rates.

More boutique hotels within WoH doesn't interest me as much...
downinit and Sisosig like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:24 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Interesting - thanks for posting!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
As far as the relationship with WOH is concerned, I can see this ending up similarly to the Marriott / Design Hotels relationship options for earning and redemption, but not necessarily all the regular WOH Globalist benefits.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:06 am

I wonder how many of the hotels you'll be able to earn / burn points at - I know IHG is limited in the number that participate and I'm sure some will refuse on burning or both given some high prices they can charge and the small number of rooms. I'd expect the initial points-available hotels will mirror the ones available to redeem with IHG today. Will be interesting to see if they eventually require hotels to accept points redemptions at agreement renewal or drop out.

I fully expect elite benefits to be similar to SLH - limited at best, at least per chain policy with some hotels being the exception.

Last edited by lowfareair; Apr 28, 2023 at 6:11 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
The Retreat at the Blue Lagoon will be a nice points redemption after a stay at the Centric in Reykjavik (once it's open)
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:25 am

When Hyatt acquired the Destinations brand a number of hotels within that brand did not follow over to Hyatt's platform nor do you get all of the Globalist benefits during your stays. I would expect that to happen here with this integration. Overall, this is a pretty big deal as it will double Hyatt's footprint for 53 million pounds.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:07 am

I dunno. Maybe Hyatt should spend their money (of which they seem to have a lot lately) on... building hotels?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
Overall, this is a pretty big deal as it will double Hyatt's footprint for 53 million pounds.
Mr & Mrs Smith's commissions per year from a 20-room boutique hotel would probably pay for little more than the paperclips at Hyatt headquarters. A 53m purchase price means that Mr & Mrs Smith brings in 3-4 million per year of profit at best.

It will probably make some World of Hyatt members happy, although most will never set foot in a Mr & Mrs Smith property. If SLH is any guide, you will get a far better deal booking directly anyhow...
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Mr & Mrs Smith's commissions per year from a 20-room boutique hotel would probably pay for little more than the paperclips at Hyatt headquarters. A 53m purchase price means that Mr & Mrs Smith brings in 3-4 million per year of profit at best.

It will probably make some World of Hyatt members happy, although most will never set foot in a Mr & Mrs Smith property. If SLH is any guide, you will get a far better deal booking directly anyhow...
MAMS has some great hotels that I personally can't wait to earn/redeem in.
Tonyr4 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
When Hyatt acquired the Destinations brand a number of hotels within that brand did not follow over to Hyatt's platform nor do you get all of the Globalist benefits during your stays. I would expect that to happen here with this integration. Overall, this is a pretty big deal as it will double Hyatt's footprint for 53 million pounds.
It's pretty big on paper (/in terms of search results)... but I would imagine this will be more like a SLH type integration where properties are loosely affiliated with Hyatt and don't have to offer the full WOH benefits.
59Impala likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
It's pretty big on paper (/in terms of search results)... but I would imagine this will be more like a SLH type integration where properties are loosely affiliated with Hyatt and don't have to offer the full WOH benefits.
I agree but it will still be nice to use/get points and get the credits for nights stayed. Lots of nice boutique type properties to choose from. It will be interesting to see how many convert over to Hyatt's platform.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Maybe Hyatt should spend their money (of which they seem to have a lot lately)
Mind you, they dumped a bunch of them over the years
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tailorgiven
Mind you, they dumped a bunch of them over the years
None of the major hotel chains are in the business of building hotels. They (/investors) want an asset light approach.
moondog, renila, bsdstone and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
None of the major hotel chains are in the business of building hotels. They (/investors) want an “asset light” approach.
I clearly meant “sell” when I said dump, was replying to the last guy there……
You could purchase 12 Mr and Mrs Smiths by dumping HR Indiana Wells, GH San Antonio and the Driskill alone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.