Hyatt Acquires Mr and Mrs Smith

Old Apr 29, 2023, 7:52 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I think MAMS will be equal to SLH, more or less. Rates will probably be the same on Hyatt.com and MAMS, as Hyatt owns MAMS.

Interestingly, I noticed some hotels are both part of SLH and MAMS.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I think MAMS will be equal to SLH, more or less. Rates will probably be the same on Hyatt.com and MAMS, as Hyatt owns MAMS.

Interestingly, I noticed some hotels are both part of SLH and MAMS.
these independent properties have previously decided they prefer to drive demand via what I presume is the lower (~10%) cost of being part of MMS vs. the higher (~20%) cost of being part of part of Hyatt. Hyatt will either need to keep the lower MMS cost level or persuade the hotel owners they were previously mistaken. I don't see a rationale for how the owners of Post Ranch Inn would be more wealthy as a part of Hyatt.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
I don’t see how it could work for Hyatt if they were to offer full WoH benefits at MAMS properties.
Especially in cities with already several Hyatt options where it would just bring more internal competition.
E.g currently staying at the HR Churchill. Next door is the Nobu hotel. Similar prices, rooms sizes, service level, garden access etc but more modern, better food options and more atmosphere. Would they offer the full WoH/Globalists benefits (SUA, free upgrades, breakfast and lounge access, late check out) on top of points I would probably be there right now instead of the Churchill (i.e. less money for Hyatt…)?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:52 am

I’m glad I gave TPG a read today and stumbled upon this news. We have a trip to Iceland planned later this year and I spent a fairly decent sum of money when IHG was running their points BoGo promo to book five days at one of the Mr. and Mrs. Smith properties (Sand Hotel) in Reykjavik. If the acquisition goes through by then, am I going to be screwed?
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:55 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I’m glad I gave TPG a read today and stumbled upon this news. We have a trip to Iceland planned later this year and I spent a fairly decent sum of money when IHG was running their points BoGo promo to book five days at one of the Mr. and Mrs. Smith properties (Sand Hotel) in Reykjavik. If the acquisition goes through by then, am I going to be screwed?
IHG is claiming business as usual, but you know how these things can go sour very quickly and with little to no notice. I’d try to come out ahead by booking a backup/cancellable reservation elsewhere and wait on more details as the deal closes.

khabah
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by khabah
IHG is claiming business as usual, but you know how these things can go sour very quickly and with little to no notice. I’d try to come out ahead by booking a backup/cancellable reservation elsewhere and wait on more details as the deal closes.

khabah
Problem is, most of Reykjavik is already sold out or doubled/tripled in price for those dates…
Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:19 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by khabah

khabah
Problem is, most of Reykjavik is already sold out or doubled/tripled in price for those dates…
Then you better book something (cancellable) before the prices go up further.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I used IHG points in that hotel (back when it was ~35K and I needed it just a place to stay before a night flight). I hope you did not get the "small double" room - it was the smallest room I ever stayed in. I was alone and found it extremely uncomfortable. Think NYC small and cut it by 30%.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:14 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
The announcement on the Hyatt website
Coming Soon: Even More Boutique & Luxury Stays | Hyatt Hotels

Soon, enjoy direct booking access on hyatt.com to over 1,500 carefully curated boutique and luxury hotels, with the planned acquisition of Mr & Mrs Smith.

Through the planned acquisition of Mr & Mrs Smith, a travel club platform that provides direct booking access to a carefully curated collection of over 1,500 luxury and boutique hotels, in time, we look forward to bringing World of Hyatt members direct booking access to even more rewarding stays around the globe.

The properties within the Mr & Mrs Smith platform are expected to add direct booking access through Hyatt booking channels to 1,500+ luxury and boutique hotels across exciting destinations worldwide, offering authentic, local connections and glamorous yet relaxed accommodations for exceptional stays. Each property within the Mr & Mrs Smith platform is unique and memorable, with inspiring, design-led decor paired with personalized touches and an above-and-beyond attention to detail. 

Prepare to explore a unique collection of hotels that will provide you with an even wider selection of unparalleled experiences to enjoy throughout your travel journey, including: 

Coming Soon – World of Hyatt benefits:  While properties within the Mr & Mrs Smith platform are not yet participating in the World of Hyatt loyalty program, we look forward to sharing more at a later date. Explore World of Hyatt

Coming Soon – Bookable on hyatt.com: At a later date, guests and members will be able to search for and book stays at Mr & Mrs Smith properties on hyatt.com. Stay tuned for updates.

To learn more, please view our recent announcement and stay tuned for more information on how these exciting new additions will enhance your Hyatt experience.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Mr and Mrs Smith has its own frequent guest program. I suggest signing up for it anyway at the free tier level even if not planning a stay at such a hotel until there is some WOH participation by some of these properties.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PJJtraveler
Wow…I am actually very excited about this. Hopefully all WoH benefits will apply....
other locations offer their members “Smith Extra” which includes several different pluses (depending on property) including free bottle of wine, Sky Club (what look like Regency/Grand Club Lounge offering breakfast and snacks), etc.
You probably won't get both, though. If there are any WoH benefits, you'll get those if you book via the Hyatt website. If there are M&MS benefits from joining their club, you probably won't get those in addition. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how the SLH partnership works. Benefits don't "stack" like they do for the MGM Vegas hotels.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ehallison
You probably won't get both, though. If there are any WoH benefits, you'll get those if you book via the Hyatt website. If there are M&MS benefits from joining their club, you probably won't get those in addition. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how the SLH partnership works. Benefits don't "stack" like they do for the MGM Vegas hotels.
I don’t expect they will be stacking (or stacking for long) after WOH integration.

The potential benefit from joining the Mr&Mrs Smith club now is that it could potentially come with the kind of bonus arrangement we now see in play from being a Lindner hotel program member and thus getting 1000 points per night for up to ten nights.
ffgap likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist
If only 10% of their properties would make it to WoH in a way SLHs are, this is a maior win for us travelers.

​​​​​​
GUWonder and notquiteaff like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
For those Alila Ventana fans, the Post Ranch Inn will now be an option.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Mr & Mrs Smith's commissions per year from a 20-room boutique hotel would probably pay for little more than the paperclips at Hyatt headquarters. A £53m purchase price means that Mr & Mrs Smith brings in £3-4 million per year of profit at best...
Per Skift, Mr & Mrs Smith has actually lost money in each of the past few years:
In 2021 the agency reported $10 million in revenue, and a loss of $695,000, according to documents filed at Companies House. The year before, it generated $8.7 million in revenue and a loss of $4.5 million.In 2019, it racked up a loss of $757,000 on revenues of more than $20 million, but in 2018 made a profit of $563,000 — off revenues of almost $18 million.
TravelinSperry likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.