Hyatt Acquires Mr and Mrs Smith

Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:12 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I’m not familiar enough with MMS but are some hotels on their site “official” MMS hotels while others it’s just an OTA? Searching Rivera Maya, there’s the Rosewood Mayakoba and Hotel La Semilla (Marriott Design) - I assume I won’t be able to use Hyatt points for those hotels.
Think of M&MS as a marketing and distribution platform, mostly for independent hotels, not as a hotel chain/flag. So there aren’t any “official” properties in the sense there would be under a flag like Unbound.

But that being said, I’d expect any participating properties branded under other hotel chains to leave the platform once the acquisition closes.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:12 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
At least one (sensationalist) blog is reporting this adds 1800 hotels to WOH, but I don't see this backed up by the press release.

In fact, whilst Hyatt is very clear as to employees, the exact number of properties becoming available WOH is vague, hinting at more than twice the number of boutique and luxury hotels. Does anyone know the current approximate count?

I expect a portion of the MAMS hotels won't join, similar to what happened when SPG bought Design Hotels.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriot Gold; Hilton Gold
Not completely sure but while cash bookings will very likely be honoured, points bookings may not. I heard from another source that the acquisiton will be 'legally complete' by the second quarter of 2023 (end of June). So points bookings made beyond the end of June may not be honoured. Again, I can't be 100% certain.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:56 pm

Wow! Hyatt is going to have too many properties in Spain (cough, Mallorca) now.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:21 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
My home town Zurich has 2 great hitels directly on the lake. Wow, this is a major acquisition, representing great hotelsmin Switzerland.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This could be quite convenient for me - even on a simple point earning and night credit basis.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Whether or not I ever stay at these properties, I love that this shuts up all the Marriott/Hilton loyalist whiners who endlessly say "wahhhhhhhh Hyatt has too small a footprint". Never mind that ~2/3 of those portfolios are limited service hotels along the interstates in the US.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:39 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
As far as the relationship with WOH is concerned, I can see this ending up similarly to the Marriott / Design Hotels relationship… options for earning and redemption, but not necessarily all the regular WOH Globalist benefits.
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
When Hyatt acquired the Destinations brand a number of hotels within that brand did not follow over to Hyatt's platform nor do you get all of the Globalist benefits during your stays. I would expect that to happen here with this integration. Overall, this is a pretty big deal as it will double Hyatt's footprint for 53 million pounds.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Mr & Mrs Smith's commissions per year from a 20-room boutique hotel would probably pay for little more than the paperclips at Hyatt headquarters. A £53m purchase price means that Mr & Mrs Smith brings in £3-4 million per year of profit at best.

It will probably make some World of Hyatt members happy, although most will never set foot in a Mr & Mrs Smith property. If SLH is any guide, you will get a far better deal booking directly anyhow...
This is completely correct. Glad to see informed takes on FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:24 pm

Hope the customer service doesn't drop due to this, as what happens with many acquisitions.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Yes, and that’s something they’re actively working on changing!

if you listen to any of their investor calls they really stress the asset light approach. They do not want to be (long term) owners of hotels. In some cases they take on properties temporarily but then try and get rid of them as soon as they can.
Yeah it did seem like in some exceptional cases, they're still willing to own a property (temporarily). I imagine a scenario where a property is being sold and might leave the Hyatt system; to keep it in the fold, one thing Hyatt could do is buy it and hold onto it until the circumstances change and another RE group decides to pick it up.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:36 pm

It is a big "if", but if Hyatt can retain access to the properties in East and Southern Africa, namely the ones connected with game reserves/national parks, it would open a market that we have not had access to in the past.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:51 pm

I'm not sure I get the hubbub over this. Am I not understanding correctly? 53 million, which is literally pennies in an acquisition sense and all they bought was the MAMS platform for bookings. It's like saying they bought Expedia so now they added 200 airlines, thousands of tour operators, millions of rental cars and 60 million hotels to their portfolio. They only bought the travel agency itself. Nothing has actually been added to Hyatt. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this will likely lead to some of the hotels that use MAMS to allow some kind of limited Hyatt booking/benefit earning system but nothing definitive just by virtue of them buying the travel agency.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If prices are higher than with SLH, it's not a game changer especially if there are no extra globalist benefits. If same rate, then awesome but I'm not going to pay an extra 10% just to requalify

After what happened to Starwood, my wife is already mad at me for requalifying annual for Globalist. I promised I won't spend extra money just to maintain status, has to happen organically.

Hopefully prices will be the same and/or they offer something extra to globalists to justify the added costs
Warriorconcept and WasKnown like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:30 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
I'm not sure I get the hubbub over this. Am I not understanding correctly? 53 million, which is literally pennies in an acquisition sense and all they bought was the MAMS platform for bookings. It's like saying they bought Expedia so now they added 200 airlines, thousands of tour operators, millions of rental cars and 60 million hotels to their portfolio. They only bought the travel agency itself. Nothing has actually been added to Hyatt. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this will likely lead to some of the hotels that use MAMS to allow some kind of limited Hyatt booking/benefit earning system but nothing definitive just by virtue of them buying the travel agency.
You hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by SHLTP
If prices are higher than with SLH, it's not a game changer especially if there are no extra globalist benefits. If same rate, then awesome but I'm not going to pay an extra 10% just to requalify

After what happened to Starwood, my wife is already mad at me for requalifying annual for Globalist. I promised I won't spend extra money just to maintain status, has to happen organically.

Hopefully prices will be the same and/or they offer something extra to globalists to justify the added costs
Love this approach. You either die an SPG or live long enough to see yourself become a Bonvoy. The end is the same nonetheless.

Last edited by WasKnown; May 6, 2023 at 1:28 pm
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:08 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Some people seem to compare the Mr&MrsSmith acquisition pretty much interchangeably to (1) Design Hotels + SPG/Marriott and (2) SLH + Hyatt. I think those two are materially different and I hope it will be more like the former rather than the latter in terms of loyalty program and benefits.

The big differences to me are:

- You can book Design Hotels on Marriott's website at the same price as if you book direct, so in essence we don't need to "pay" extra to earn points and night credits. In contrast, with SLH the only times that it makes sense to pay extra by booking on Hyatt's website is when there is a Hyatt points promo such that earning the extra points can tilt the scale, sometimes.

- Design Hotels can see the guest's status with Marriott and they differentiate upgrades between an Ambassador guest, Titanium, Platinum, etc. With SLH/Hyatt, Globalists don't get anything different than Hyatt guests with lower status because I don't think they can even see who is Globalist or not. So the upgrade is usually limited to +1 upgrade, and when it's better than that, it's usually because that particular hotel decides to be generous in general, such that SLH Indulged tier guests also get those better upgrades which means I am still not getting a better upgrade by booking on Hyatt.com than on SLH.com. Conversely, I have had lots of suite upgrades at Design Hotels that I would not get if I was not Marriott Ambassador Elite.

So the best we can hope for is something like DH/Marriott and if so then I will be fairly satisfied. Arguably it could be possible to end up that way, because Hyatt will own Mr&MrsSmith (and Marriott owns Design), unlike SLH which is not owned by Hyatt. But if it ends up like SLH then the value of this acquisition to Hyatt guests will be modest, and even more so, if the arrival of Mr&MrsSmith causes SLH to drop from Hyatt then the addition of new properties will be less than advertised.
Warriorconcept and WasKnown like this.

Last edited by escape4; Apr 29, 2023 at 11:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.