Hyatt Acquires Mr and Mrs Smith

Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tailorgiven
I clearly meant “sell” when I said dump, was replying to the last guy there……
You could purchase 12 Mr and Mrs Smiths by dumping HR Indiana Wells, GH San Antonio and the Driskill alone
Yes… my point is that they’re only going to continue “dumping” properties. Owning hotels isn’t how they (Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott/IHG) make money.
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Yes… my point is that they’re only going to continue “dumping” properties. Owning hotels isn’t how they (Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott/IHG) make money.
Their last year’s goal was to dump $2B worth of properties, that’s more than the purchase price of ALG

If you follow their balance sheets, you’ll know Hyatt is one of the most “asset-heavy” chains in the competition, especially for upscale and luxury properties

Hyatt has been extremely aggressive in the past five or so years in terms of expansion if their past paces are of any indication. They’ve got the Two Roads portfolio, the Caption brand, ALG, Dream, the latest upper-midscale longstay shenanigan, and now Mr and Mrs Smith which is their smallest investment so far.

Last edited by tailorgiven; Apr 28, 2023 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Their last year’s goal was to dump $2B worth of properties, that’s more than the purchase price of ALG
If you follow their balance sheets, you’ll know Hyatt is one of the most “asset-heavy” chains in the competition, especially for upscale and luxury properties
Yes, and that’s something they’re actively working on changing!

if you listen to any of their investor calls they really stress the asset light approach. They do not want to be (long term) owners of hotels. In some cases they take on properties temporarily but then try and get rid of them as soon as they can.
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
They do not want to be (long term) owners of hotels. In some cases they take on properties temporarily but then try and get rid of them as soon as they can.
That’s literally because they’re the last player not adapting an aggressive asset-light approach in the past decade, and their portfolio mainly consisting of upper-upscale and luxury properties is quite valuable!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: None - previously UA
There are a bunch of Marriott properties in Europe in particular that show up on Mr & Mrs Smith, I assume will not be available shortly?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:30 am

Wow…I am actually very excited about this. Hopefully all WoH benefits will apply. I just now started playing around on https://www.mrandmrssmith.com/ and found numerous properties that definitely enticed and intrigued me. The section “The Best Hotels in the US” yielded 185 properties. I checked the Esmé Miami Beach Mid-May and saw and incredible rate of $139!! A price unheard of for a beautiful hotel in SoBe.

other locations offer their members “Smith Extra” which includes several different pluses (depending on property) including free bottle of wine, Sky Club (what look like Regency/Grand Club Lounge offering breakfast and snacks), etc.

I am exited about this news!! Hopefully it will be positive as they begin to integrate!!
gr2020 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
There are a bunch of Marriott properties in Europe in particular that show up on Mr & Mrs Smith, I assume will not be available shortly?
Fiddled around M&M’s website and there’re even Hyatt’s own (namely the Alila Villas Uluwatu)!
Since it’s an acquisition, properties from competition chains are more or less likely to terminate their relationships with M&M altogether. Think of M&M as Hyatt’s own SLH or LHW (though LHW is more affiliated with properties generally).

Last edited by tailorgiven; Apr 28, 2023 at 9:59 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Fiddled around Hyatt’s website and there’re even Hyatt’s own (namely the Alila Villas Uluwatu)!
When I stayed at the Marriott Domes properties in Greece I spoke to a few folks who booked through M&M. I suspect not an insignificant booking channel for those sorts of properties, will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:44 am

Does anyone by chance know how Hyatt has treated existing points bookings in their past acquisitions? Are those usually just canceled once the deal closes? I have a September Mr. and Mrs. Smith booking I made with IHG points... wondering if I should just make a backup booking now.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:52 am

Can't help to wonder.. but something like this seems like it will lead to more point redemption inflation?? We are already seeing it with all the recent category increases and potentially more peak night awards in the future (pure speculation). Now with more options to earn points, people will only have more points to spend. Also, less incentive for WOH to provide good value to entice people to the program.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:55 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I saw the title and thought "AT LONG LAST, BRANGELINA IS COMING TO HYATT"

I guess I was wrong.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
When I stayed at the Marriott Domes properties in Greece I spoke to a few folks who booked through M&M. I suspect not an insignificant booking channel for those sorts of properties, will be interesting to see what happens.
I had a typo - I was fiddling on M&M’s website!
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:01 am
Community Director Emerita

[MENTION=756888]khabah[/MENTION], thanks for bringing us the news. This is very intriguing. I hope that it gives us more options for earning and redeeming. My experience with booking with IHG, admitedly limited to just 3 or 4 properties, hasn't been positive. I'll take a wait and see on this but am glad to see Hyatt working to expand its footprint.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
I'm slightly worried this will void Hyatt's partnership with SLH, given M&M is a competing agency. Was planning on checking out Schlosshotel Kronberg and Canaves in a year or two...
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:56 am

I’m not familiar enough with MMS but are some hotels on their site “official” MMS hotels while others it’s just an OTA? Searching Rivera Maya, there’s the Rosewood Mayakoba and Hotel La Semilla (Marriott Design) - I assume I won’t be able to use Hyatt points for those hotels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.