Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Misposted Threads
Reload this Page >

Al Gore not immune to "secondary screenings"

Old Jun 14, 2002, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite

Whadda ya bet he doesn't know the "never be the first to board" rule?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/nat/jun02/51090.asp
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:01 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
i will hold back my political jabs and just say http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:47 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Of course, You have have to watch out for him!

How soon everyone forgets! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 06-14-2002).]
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:11 pm

Republicans?
Old Jun 15, 2002, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
What's really bizarre about this is how proud everyone seems to be about how Gore "cooperated" with security. If he were truly courageous, he would have told them to shove it. Checking a former Vice President of the United States as if he might be a terrorist is a complete waste of resources -- and of our tax money, which pays for those resources. This nonsense has got to stop!

Bruce
Old Jun 15, 2002, 7:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
What's really bizarre about this is how proud everyone seems to be about how Gore "cooperated" with security. If he were truly courageous, he would have told them to shove it. Checking a former Vice President of the United States as if he might be a terrorist is a complete waste of resources -- and of our tax money, which pays for those resources. This nonsense has got to stop!

Bruce
</font>
I have noticed something interesting... A lot of high profile people in DC and NYC seem to get "selected" for additional screening, despite the fact that I know Goldie Hawn (otherwise a scary person) is not a likely risk. A lot of these people buy one way, last minute-tickets, so that may be why CAPPS is selecting them, but the gate screenings are not highly efficient.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Very, very few slectees are chosen by CAPPS. Most are selected by the security people themselves, who are required to be busy at all times during boarding. When they finish one person, they go and grab another. Or the airline personnel send them people. It's all stupid!

Bruce
Old Jun 15, 2002, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Random means picking someone least likely to complain!!!
Old Jun 15, 2002, 9:53 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Dubya can sleep soundly now.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 10:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
What a waste of taxpayer money and our security fees. The government is losing sight of the objective. The objective should be to maintain the security of the airlines with a minimum of disruption to the passengers while making the flying public feel secure that the foregoing is happening.

In fact the goal should be as few searches as possible while preventing terrorism and making people feel that that is the case.

I actually am very disturbed when I see people that are not a risk being searched while a terrorist might be slipping through on the other side. Window dressing is fine but to waste everybody's time serves no purpose and in fact squanders resources.

The security people once spent 10 minutes searching my bag to find sewing kits, some of which were given to me on the airlines.

We need secure cockpits and well-targeted protection and searches, which should involve computer technology, use of governmental databases, other electronic methods, and even simple interrogation.

Minimal (for most people) invasiveness--but maximum impact and effectiveness.

Also, the carry-on rules just make travel difficult. If someone wants to carry more on board (and the airline permits it), there should be an additional fee for all extra carry on bags. Perhaps $10 per extra bag.

[This message has been edited by Nevsky (edited 06-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Nevsky (edited 06-15-2002).]
Old Jun 15, 2002, 11:09 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
while i despise everything about algore, i agree that the only threat he poses our nation is his political agenda.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

as others have said, what a waste of (taxpayer) resources while other, real threats may have been slipping through.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 4:52 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Do you really believe there is less reason to check him, then a roadrunner?

I never understand, when I am pulled aside, since I have nothing to be angry about!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 06-15-2002).]
Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:11 pm

I think in principle it was nice that the system supposedly is non-discriminatory in it's "random searches". The reality is that it was a waste of time to screen him.

Of course we don't know if he packed his own bag and if it was always with him the entire time, so theoretically someone could have planted a bomb in his luggage. This is the "War on Terrorism" so everyone is suspect. Right?
Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:41 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
All this does is confirm how moronic the whole system is. If this doesn't validate Don Carty's opinion,. nothing does!
Old Jun 16, 2002, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Searching a known person is a complete waste of time. We have long suspected that the so-called security screeners get their kicks out of searching VIPs. This is an invasion of privacy and completely stupid.

That a person who is a real danger could slip by while a circus is going on, demonstrates how badly trained the screeners are.

They are creating their own diversion which is no different than the shill for a pickpocket pouring mustard on your suit!

Al Gore had to be polite or the press would have been all over him for his behavior.

When any of the rest of us complain, we are at risk of being arrested.

Our liberty is being stolen while we lock the barn door after the horse has run away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.