Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Top Tier Elite Status More Valuable with Airlines or Hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Top Tier Elite Status More Valuable with Airlines or Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
I actually booked seats out of that inventory 3 or 4 times in my two years as 1K.

We used it to book prime (expensive) domestic trips that we would have never been able to take without the 1K inventory. Usually there's just 1 seat in that bucket if everything else is starting to sell out. The 3-4 trips we took paired up a DBCFREE with the 1K FF award to get two seats. I felt like it was worthwhile to stretch the DBCFREE's to cover more trips.

Things like Midwest to the West Coast on the most optimal flights in a holiday or peak period... I know some have a mantra of never redeeming a 25k domestic award but in these cases we felt like they represented excellent value. $500+ R/T's that we simply otherwise would have never taken.

The other 1K benefit I enjoyed most was the ability to fiddle with award itineraries as much as necessary. Our summer trip to Europe: first got it booked 10 months out via a poor routing (through Canada) in coach. That at least allowed us to start planning the trip. Then, gradually over time, the routing got better and eventually it became a business-class trip, making final changes 1 week prior to departure. Without 1K, we probably would have been on that circuitous coach routing.
No question that ability to fine tune an award booking over months, without fee, is an important 1K benefit. However, in every case I've sought a saver award, XY space was available in addition to NY. Admittedly I don't book Y, or domestic awards too often.....

Now about that extra award availability for EXPs.....how generous is it?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Airline status.

A room is a room, IMHO.

But the difference in coach vs. upfront is huge.

(Oh, once upon a time I had top tier status at several hotels.)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
My UA upgrades have been great but the free €70 breakfast at the PH Vendome or the in-room service in ZRH is fantastic as a Hyatt Diamond. The concierge traveling halfway across the city to retrieve a pair of glasses. Etc, etc. Similar good stuff at SPG and to a lesser extent at Hilton and PC (although I am relatively new to PC Int'l hotels).

It is a tough call for me. Int'l lounge access when flying with free booze vs. Int'l lounge access at the hotel with free booze (better selection in the hotel). Priority hotel check in v priority flight check/security line - however, the priority hotel and security line benies both seem to be some sort of cruel joke.

It is a pretty close call but I think I fall on the side of hotel status.

Cheers -
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
You can get an upgrade at a hotel without status.

You can't get an upgrade on a plane without status.

I value hotel points as much or more than airline points.

I value airline status more than hotel status.

I'm addicted to both.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by beachfan
You can get an upgrade at a hotel without status.

You can't get an upgrade on a plane without status.

I value hotel points as much or more than airline points.

I value airline status more than hotel status.

I'm addicted to both.
As a long time Plat at Marriott, and as a relatively new Plat at DL (previously Plat and Chairman's at US), I would say that beachfan has described my opinion exactly, on all of his above points. As a matter of fact, he described it better than I could have! About the addiction, LOL!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta 360, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Definitely airline status. For two reasons
1) dealing with airports, seat assignments, and luggage is a major hassle and source of anxiety. Anything that helps me reduce stress is a big bonus.
2) with a mix of domestic and international travel I can't seem to pool enough hotel points in one system to make a difference. the couple of time I did it was a nice perk but really didn't make a big difference.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Airline status. Even at a low level (UA premier), you get access to E+ seating, for example. As a SPG Gold, you get zilch (in my experience)....
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Hard to say which is more valuable.

Ideally you have all three: Airline, Car Rental, Hotel.

The car rental upgrades can be valuable to me. Driving around in a lincoln for the price of a hyundai isn't bad to me (national exec elite).

As spg gold I get room upgrades but nothing spectacular. I've had better upgrades for being polite at busy hotels after a $50 priceline bid and no status. But I should try SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, or Fairmont top tier (whatever it is).

Airline status is a must to me. Cutting security lines, priority bags, extra bags, occasional upgrades on intercontinental flights, and op ups when the planes are full seem to be pretty valuable. plus the lounge access better phone numbers etc.

I suppose the ultimate is just Amex Centurion as it more or less gifts you all of these things from my understanding.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
I agree with Nitehawk. I have been Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, and Avis Chairman's Club all at the same time, and it makes traveling life very comfortable and less stressful for sure.

If I had to choose which of the three was most important to me, if I could keep only one, I would probably choose airline elite status over the others.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Now my situation has changed a bit - I have more hotel top-tiers than before but have had to spread my flights across AA, UA, and WN, thus losing 1K status.

From this perspective: the UA 1K status was the most valuable. The incremental benefits of 1K are vastly superior to the mid-tier benefits. At Marriott, the benefits of Plat over Gold are less pronounced.

I think we all agree that for an airline, having at least a low-tier status is absolutely essential to having a bearable travel experience (e.g., checking a bag, getting through security in a somewhat timely manner, getting an adequate coach seat). But this thread is about TOP tier - and top tier is worth thousands of dollars per year over mid-tier, even by conservative valuations of SWUs.

Hotel top tier is harder to value because it's dependent on a huge variable: getting excellent perks on my 2 or 3 most important stays of the year. I do 35-40 business stays per year: I really don't care much on those what my status gets as long as the basics (bed type, adequate lounge) are correct. If I'm traveling solo and I get a suite upgrade, I do appreciate it...but I'd almost rather they gave it to a family of 4. But then, when it's *my* family of 4, I want the Platinum status to really mean something. If they get that right and align my rare suite upgrade to the stay when I really need it, top-tier status is worth a lot. When they don't, I might as well just be mid-tier and earn a few bonus points...

I hadn't thought much about rental car status. I'm mid-tier at National and generally like the Exec aisle car selection. I understand top-tier allows you to book convertibles and such using your free day certificates. That's a unique perk...I should hit top-tier this year, so I'll look forward to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.