Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Top Tier Elite Status More Valuable with Airlines or Hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Top Tier Elite Status More Valuable with Airlines or Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Tie Goes to the Elite Programs

Originally Posted by brahms77
If one flies more and stays less at hotels, then airline elite status is more desirable.

Excellent point. I fall into this camp. Many times, going to visit mom, dad, a friend, family reunion -- on all of these trips, I have no need for a hotel.

$0.02.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
On the upgrade front, both hotels and airlines have two categories: plain old upgrades and...MEANINGFUL upgrades.

Airlines are tightening up across the board on meaningful upgrades - that is, the long-haul three-cabin J/F seats. They'll still give out domestic U.S. upgrades like candy, but you are almost always required to pay a co-pay (either a direct fixed amount or a buy-up to a particular fare) in addition to a lot of miles for the seat. Top-tiers gets SWU's which are more generous, but I think by now most airlines have attached some restrictions to these. For example, I recently booked a trip using United SWU's - my effective co-pay per SWU was about $71 on a TATL trip.

(Do AA VIPOW's have any fare restrictions? I recall using one many years ago on an instant-purchase L fare to CDG that was about $350 R/T all in from MCI. I just handed the paper cert over to an agent and got my C seat assignment back.)

With hotels, the parallel is that all elites usually get "nice" rooms. C-level, high floors, far from elevators, the "desirable" view, etc. Those are the day-to-day upgrades. But Starwood in particular seems to have an advantage in that they give them top-tiers a lot of meaningful upgrades (true suites) - plus they allow the rest of us to confirm those upgrades on awards. Granted, upgrade awards are capacity controlled, but I've usually been successful at getting them.

Top-tier at Marriott rarely gets a major upgrade. I get the same "desirable" rooms I always got as a Gold. In my past 150 nights, I've gotten 1 large suite for 2 nights on a weekend. (It was at the Napa Marriott, a hotel which most FT'ers despise.)
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:17 pm

tough to choose

well, I'd have to think of my worst AND best experience with each:

American Executive Platinum Status:

worst experience: not being upgraded on an 8 hour flight (too many people have elite status on airlines these days!)
best experience: using miles for free first class tickets to Italy (but we had to fly through three cities to get there! they really screw you with the layovers when using miles)

Hilton Honors Diamond:

worst experience: can't really think of one
best experience: staying for one week free at hotel in Rome; they upgraded our room with fantastic view, had our own separate check in room when arrived, gave us a private tour of the hotel - they really made us feel like celebrities)

that being said - I think if I were to choose, I would actually pick the hotel points to save rather than airline. Flying coach is not that bad (unless it's a really long flight). And I'd rather have nice, free room to stay in wherever I go.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moops

worst experience: not being upgraded on an 8 hour flight (too many people have elite status on airlines these days!)
best experience: using miles for free first class tickets to Italy (but we had to fly through three cities to get there! they really screw you with the layovers when using miles)
Does AA allocate any extra award availability to EXP? I know UA does for its 1K's, but it's only coach and it's only on UA metal. So the F awards we can redeem to Europe are the same seats any MileagePlus member can redeem.

best experience: staying for one week free at hotel in Rome; they upgraded our room with fantastic view, had our own separate check in room when arrived, gave us a private tour of the hotel - they really made us feel like celebrities)
Cool - reading the HHonors board, it sounds like some Diamonds have been getting jobbed by that hotel in recent months/years. Glad to hear some people still have good experiences there.

that being said - I think if I were to choose, I would actually pick the hotel points to save rather than airline. Flying coach is not that bad (unless it's a really long flight). And I'd rather have nice, free room to stay in wherever I go.
That's the beauty: you don't have to choose. You can fly J/F...and check in to a free hotel room when you get there! ^
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Dilution!

Hilton Honors Diamond:

worst experience: can't really think of one

Thanks, Moops. Your bunk experience on the 8-hour flight is the ugly side of "dilution" (a concept I don't generally buy into -- statistically, people have to be earning more often than they're redeeming). I'm sorry to hear about that. (The All-Star Game is another dilution dilemma, but that's definitely another thread.)

It's good to hear you say that so far you can't name a "worst" experience with HH.

Happy travels!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was forced to fly 9 whole hours in coach on an airline without status, instead of being up front. My 14 day stay in Hawaii have been on based rewards that were upgraded to Ocean Facing and Ocean Front (1 week each, Marriott, SPG) rooms, with spacious layouts.

Hmmm. 9 hours vs. 2 weeks. I'll take hotel status, thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold
This verified what I've already been thinking. Have already shifted my spending from Hilton Surpass to AAdvantage card (except for bonus categories). Will probably downgrade my Surpass card soon.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:25 pm

Surprised, but it looks like I might be in a lonely camp.. To me, airline status is FAR more important. In fact, so much more so that I almost don't care about hotel STATUS (but not points, hotel points are very valuable to me) at all. I've been top tier Marriot, and am now SPG top tier. Both gave me room upgrades (although SPGs are better, IMHO), and extra miles.

However, the difference between the worst room in an SPG property and the best room is typically the difference between "very nice" and "excellent". There's no bad room, some are just better than others.

That's why airline status is so much more valuable to me. The difference between a good seat (1C, for example) and a bad seat (last row center seat) is so vastly different to almost be in another league. It's the difference between being comfortable and well taken care of compared to being treated as if your on a prison transport heading for Gitmo.

I often don't even ask (when checking into a hotel) if room upgrades are available, I don't spend much time in the room and, IMHO, they are all "good enough". But with the airlines, I'll be on ExpertFlyer/KVS for hours trying to figure out if I can be upgraded or not/flights to take/etc.

Thankfully, hotels worst product is pretty good. The same cannot be said for the airlines; their worst product is just a narrow step above flying transcon on The Rack.

Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:27 pm

You must not be as tall/big as I am. Flying coach IS that bad for anyone over 6' tall. And, even if your not, just takes one guy sitting next to you who's 300+ lbs for flying coach to go from "not that bad" to "I'll fly in the cargo hold to get out of this seat".

Flying coach is not that bad (unless it's a really long flight). And I'd rather have nice, free room to stay in wherever I go.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by pinniped
Does AA allocate any extra award availability to EXP? I know UA does for its 1K's, but it's only coach and it's only on UA metal. So the F awards we can redeem to Europe are the same seats any MileagePlus member can redeem.
Yes AA does allocate extra award availability for EXPs. Also AA waives almost all fees associated with booking and rebooking award travel for EXPs.

Using SWUs for upgrading international flights does not involve any extra fees. I have been upgraded sucessfuly with SWUs on every single international flight that I have booked. Often you can get upgarded at the time of booking if you book ahead far enough.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by mjfink
You must not be as tall/big as I am. Flying coach IS that bad for anyone over 6' tall. And, even if your not, just takes one guy sitting next to you who's 300+ lbs for flying coach to go from "not that bad" to "I'll fly in the cargo hold to get out of this seat".

I agree with you completely... if you are 6' 2" like me, coach seats can be deabilitating on long flights.

For this reason my AA upgrades and SWUs are worth more to me than my suite upgrades from SPG. My favorite use of SPG points at the moment is to convert to AA miles for future J or F tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Yes AA does allocate extra award availability for EXPs.
Is it substantial extra award availability in all classes? As a UA 1K for years, I don't think there's been a single case where I actually benefited from the meager extra coach award inventory.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
I think that hotel status is more a forgone conclusion, generally speaking you know you will get executive floor/breakfast etc in advance. However airline perks are a less lot predictable, I have twice last year been moved from E+ to C whilst been seated in E+ on the plane, minutes before take off. Nice, but not something you would want to rely on or expect.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Explore
Is it substantial extra award availability in all classes? As a UA 1K for years, I don't think there's been a single case where I actually benefited from the meager extra coach award inventory.
I actually booked seats out of that inventory 3 or 4 times in my two years as 1K.

We used it to book prime (expensive) domestic trips that we would have never been able to take without the 1K inventory. Usually there's just 1 seat in that bucket if everything else is starting to sell out. The 3-4 trips we took paired up a DBCFREE with the 1K FF award to get two seats. I felt like it was worthwhile to stretch the DBCFREE's to cover more trips.

Things like Midwest to the West Coast on the most optimal flights in a holiday or peak period... I know some have a mantra of never redeeming a 25k domestic award but in these cases we felt like they represented excellent value. $500+ R/T's that we simply otherwise would have never taken.

The other 1K benefit I enjoyed most was the ability to fiddle with award itineraries as much as necessary. Our summer trip to Europe: first got it booked 10 months out via a poor routing (through Canada) in coach. That at least allowed us to start planning the trip. Then, gradually over time, the routing got better and eventually it became a business-class trip, making final changes 1 week prior to departure. Without 1K, we probably would have been on that circuitous coach routing.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:19 am

I agree! Airline are more valueable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.