Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Part Two - Galileo: "THIS SERVICE HAS BEEN STOPPED!"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Part Two - Galileo: "THIS SERVICE HAS BEEN STOPPED!"?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:43 am

Programs: BA BD SA
SA seatmaps on ExpertFlyer

Originally Posted by jonnye
This might be of help to you. As of the 25th Feb ExpertFlyer have now got seatmaps for SA, any many other airlines have also been added since the 25th. Here is the Full List

https://www.expertflyer.com/seatmaps.pdf

Hope this helps you.
Thanks for that. They did PM me about it. Still some glitches though - the most arkward of which is that they show seats as taken when they are in fact merely reserved for elite travellers. Since these are the most desirable seats that is obviously not great.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:05 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question SA Seatmaps

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Thanks for that. They did PM me about it. Still some glitches though - the most arkward of which is that they show seats as taken when they are in fact merely reserved for elite travellers. Since these are the most desirable seats that is obviously not great.
The latest version of the KVS Availability Tool now provides access to SA's seatmaps (select ITN/CWT-NY). However, the [premium] portion of the Y-cabin doesn't appear at all... I wonder how does that compare to what you are seeing on ExpertFlyer?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:43 am

Programs: BA BD SA
SA seatmaps

Originally Posted by KVS
The latest version of the KVS Availability Tool now provides access to SA's seatmaps (select ITN/CWT-NY). However, the [premium] portion of the Y-cabin doesn't appear at all... I wonder how does that compare to what you are seeing on ExpertFlyer?
On ExpertFlyer those seats are shown, but they indicate that they are all occupied. On SA's own website (and related ones driven by their engine) they show a separate category which clearly indicates that they are premium seats for elite travelers only (Voyager Platinum and Gold - Silver, I think) and which ones are still free.

Also interesting how a few seats (bulkhead with bassinet or wheelchair accessible) will show as occupied on some seatmaps and not on others.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:22 am

Availability Tool

I haven't used this service in 6 months. I note a new edition which I downloaded but always receive an "error: no valid result" message. Is there now a fee for the service, which I would be glad to pay, or am I doing something wrong?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by doublebzz
I haven't used this service in 6 months. I note a new edition which I downloaded but always receive an "error: no valid result" message. Is there now a fee for the service, which I would be glad to pay, or am I doing something wrong?
No longer available. Service discontinued. Great while it lasted!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:08 pm

Expertflyer.com

Originally Posted by fromYXU
No longer available. Service discontinued. Great while it lasted!
Thanks for the update.

It appears that expertflyer.com offers same information for $4.99 per month. Am I correct and has anybody had any experience with this site?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Expertflyer also queries Sabre, so you get the same info as the Availabilty Tool. I've subscribed for the last two months and am very happy with it.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Expertflyer also queries Sabre, so you get the same info as the Availabilty Tool. I've subscribed for the last two months and am very happy with it.
The Availability Tool queried Galileo and not Sabre.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:38 am

Thanks to all the (ex-) users of the Availability Tool and for the positve response.
At the moment i'm very busy so it took a long time to give an explanation (but i gave a hint some pages before). One main reason to stop this tool is that i will start with a new job next month (has nothing to do with travel or flights). For the future i'm not able to look at it - it always was a little personal project of me, so nobody is able or wants to keep it up. Today you find alternatives like KVS's Tool or Expertflyer...
There was a big resonance and there were many many firendly users, so i hope you all will find a good alternative.

Best regards and good luck,

Matthias (smile67, mm67)
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
mm67's tool was unique. With Galileo, it enabled access to various seat inventories that no other tool can access to this date. It had its problems with time cycling but it still was very useful to me. At the time it was the only tool that could display within China flight availability accurately. Expertflyer seems to do that now but I haven't field tested it yet (next month).
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:09 am

Cool

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
mm67's tool was unique. With Galileo, it enabled access to various seat inventories that no other tool can access to this date. It had its problems with time cycling but it still was very useful to me. At the time it was the only tool that could display within China flight availability accurately. Expertflyer seems to do that now but I haven't field tested it yet (next month).
My only use of Availability Tool was to determine if upgrade seats were available on intercontinental flights on a few airlines in which I am a frequent flyer. As some of the members pointed out, you can always call the airlines direct to get this info but generally these were lengthy calls in which the airline had to check numerous flights and alternative routings. Frankly, I don't know why the airlines don't provide this data on their web sites as in all other cases they want to reduce live interface with their operators. I am hoping Expertflyer will provide this limited data.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by doublebzz
My only use of Availability Tool was to determine if upgrade seats were available on intercontinental flights on a few airlines in which I am a frequent flyer. As some of the members pointed out, you can always call the airlines direct to get this info but generally these were lengthy calls in which the airline had to check numerous flights and alternative routings. Frankly, I don't know why the airlines don't provide this data on their web sites as in all other cases they want to reduce live interface with their operators. I am hoping Expertflyer will provide this limited data.
NW provides that information (indirectly) on their website. Simply click on the "upgrade with miles" feature when looking up fares. Upgrade availability for different fares will show up (if available).
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:27 pm

Programs: Everyone!
I was interested in this experflyer site, but if you can't see the premium seats accurately (the seats most of us are after), how can you justify purchasing it?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mm67
There was a big resonance and there were many many firendly users
Matthias, let me express my deepest gratitude once again, for volunteering your time and effort. I found the tool to be an indispensable part of my travel planning. We all owe you our thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.