FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   1000 FF Miles for renewing domain with NetworkSolutions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/9528-1000-ff-miles-renewing-domain-networksolutions.html)

Steve M Mar 11, 2004 11:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
That sounds like an expensive way to buy 1000 FF miles (as comparing to using a better and less expensive registrar).</font>
I'm not recommending NetSol here, but let me point out that promotions such as this one are often targeted at people that are spending someone else's money: consider the network administrator at a corporation where a NetSol-registered domain is up for renewal. They could switch to another registrar, or just renew the NetSol one and get some FF miles for themselves in the process.

pushback Mar 12, 2004 12:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve M:
I'm not recommending NetSol here, but let me point out that promotions such as this one are often targeted at people that are spending someone else's money: consider the network administrator at a corporation where a NetSol-registered domain is up for renewal. They could switch to another registrar, or just renew the NetSol one and get some FF miles for themselves in the process.</font>

True, but if I were that network admin I would only do this if I were on the way out of the company anyway, otherwise it would still be me that had to put up with them.

What a cruel, cruel thing it would be for me to do that to my successor!

Actually, if you knew your successor, renewing with NetSol would make for an excellent prank! On second thought they would probably never talk to you again. Never mind.

free101girl Mar 12, 2004 8:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alysia:
And Network Solutions has made it next to impossible to try to make changes to accounts for domain names, i.e. changing the administrative contact on an account.</font>
Truer words were never written! I spent 3 YEARS trying to get Network Solutions to remove my name as administrative contact for a domain. I didn't even work for the company that owned the domain for the last 2 years of that time. Talk about a nightmare.

The NetSol system for making contact changes does not work, and you can't get anyone at NetSol to help you. I tried faxing, writing, calling and even begging and threatening. The whole experience was like something out of a Kafka novel.

Finally I prevailed on my successor at the company to re-register the domain with a different registrar. Problem solved...

jonu Mar 12, 2004 8:51 pm

Another thumbs down for NetSol. Even if you gave me lifetime free domain registration there, I would not use them for all the reasons outlined above. And for variety, this is the registrar I use and with which am very satisfied: http://www.directnic.com/

pitflyer Mar 12, 2004 10:45 pm

I've had domains since they were free (remember those days) and hence back then they were the only game in town. After years of bad service and problems I moved to GoDaddy and have been happy. I figure that if I need a human it'll be tough at GoDaddy, but their website is powerful enough for me.

I'd pass on this offer even it was 10k miles. 20k miles I might think of it, but even then I'd have my reservations.

CrazyOne Mar 13, 2004 3:27 pm

NetSol holds your domains hostage. We have one old one still registered with them, tried to transfer it to GoDaddy, didn't work. It's annoying. With any luck by the time it expires we won't need it anymore. (It's not a domain we're actively promoting anymore.)

You shouldn't need a human at a domain registrar as long as everything works properly. GoDaddy hasn't screwed up yet.

Steve M Mar 13, 2004 9:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CrazyOne:
You shouldn't need a human at a domain registrar as long as everything works properly.</font>
Agreed. But, any system designed by man will have situations where manual intervention is required. And, I mean this not just in the sense that some things are out of reach of any automated interface, but more toward that some situations need a human to make a judgement call. Personally, I would be concerned with any domain registrar that made it nearly impossible to contact a human on the telephone.

CrazyOne Mar 14, 2004 10:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve M:
Agreed. But, any system designed by man will have situations where manual intervention is required. And, I mean this not just in the sense that some things are out of reach of any automated interface, but more toward that some situations need a human to make a judgement call. Personally, I would be concerned with any domain registrar that made it nearly impossible to contact a human on the telephone.</font>
True enough. Although I had worse problems with another registrar (Dotster, stay away) as far as not even being able to reach them. GoDaddy is at least upfront in giving out the number. I guess the problems mentioned above must stem from what happens when you call it....

I'm personally more concerned with being able to reach my web host as opposed to the registrar. I've never had problems with the actual registration entries, only with DNS which in our case is handled by the web host, someone we know personally locally and can get ahold of. (This is a new development. Problems were prior to working with this guy.)

[This message has been edited by CrazyOne (edited Mar 14, 2004).]

Marathon Man Mar 17, 2004 12:46 pm

This came to me but I did not use it so maybe it is good for one or more persons and if not, well, use them anyway.

To: me
Subject: Transfer your domain to Go Daddy and save through 3/21/04
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:24:21 -0700

Dear Valued Go Daddy Customer,

Lots of folks registered their domain names with other registrars before Go Daddy came along. Lots of folks paid a lot of money too -- both when they first registered and then again when they renewed.

Sound familiar? Well it's time to make a change -- and we've slashed our already-low rate to just $6.75 (or less) to help you say yes! No need to wait until your annual renewal comes due to transfer. Look at how easy we've made it!

* It's just $6.75 to transfer .COM, .NET, .ORG and .INFO names through March 21. (Regularly $7.95)

* Only $4.95 to transfer .BIZ and .US names.

* All transfer fees INCLUDE A ONE-YEAR
EXTENSION!

* Waiting for the renewal to come due so you
"get your money's worth?" No need! Transfer now and in addition to the one-year extension, you also keep the time remaining on your current registration!

LEARN MORE NOW:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/trans...?isc=gdf031080

* Enjoy unique, personal assistance whenever you need it from a Go Daddy transfer concierge. Just call (480) 505-8866.

* Eliminate keystrokes and headaches: Our Rapid Transfer System(TM) technology automatically extracts information from the WHOIS database to help your transfer along.

* When your Go Daddy domain names come up for renewal, you'll pay only our low, low rates ($8.95/yr. and lower on .COM,
.NET and .ORG, for example).

* Worried about the hassle factor? Don't! We've made the process easy to understand and fast to do.

* Best of all, there's no risk to you. If your transfer fails for any reason, we'll promptly refund your fee. No questions asked.

So why wait? Transfer any and all domains you have registered elsewhere, enjoy the benefits of having them all under one safe, friendly roof -- and pay only $6.75 (or less) per name to do it (regularly $7.95)!

Hurry, OFFER EXPIRES Sunday, March 21, 2004.

START YOUR TRANSFER NOW:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/trans...?isc=gdf031080

************************************************** ***********************************

A TRANSFER CONCIERGE IS WAITING TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR TRANSFER.

If you would like personal assistance with
transferring your domain, please call our Transfer Concierge team at (480) 505-8866.

Be sure to give the concierge this DISCOUNT
TRANSFER CODE: gdf031080

************************************************** ***********************************

Sincerely,

Bob Parsons
President
GoDaddy.com

P.S. Why put up with high prices or uncaring
service at another registrar?

We've made it fast, easy and risk-free to
transfer your names to Go Daddy.
And at just $6.75 (or less) per name, think of how much you can save!