Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has Your Employer Curtailed Travel to the Point that Your Elite Status is in Jeopardy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Your Employer Curtailed Travel to the Point that Your Elite Status is in Jeopardy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold

It takes an act of Congress to get approval to go anyplace these days at my shop. Anybody else going through withdrawal and fear of being relegated to coach after next year?
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:27 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wink

Originally Posted by romadaro
It takes an act of Congress to get approval to go anyplace these days at my shop. Anybody else going through withdrawal and fear of being relegated to coach after next year?
Nope. If anything with the economy the way is, I'm pushed to get out into the field as much as possible. I figure I'll wind up with around 225 segments in 09...

Fly More & Get A Better Seat
Old Dec 25, 2008, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I may be back on a project that's a 3.5 hr drive starting 1/1, potentially for 2 years. I'll keep all the hotel status, but will likely lose airline status unless I can get very creative. Of course, if I'm driving, it won't bother me for 2 yrs (except for family vacations)
Old Dec 25, 2008, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Same here, I expect my travel to be cut in half next year.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Anybody else going through withdrawal and fear of being relegated to coach after next year?
Nope....flew slightly more than 2007.
Firm-wide travel expenses were up 11% in 2008 (mainly due to hotel costs).
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat- 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold\
not yet...
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Yes. Almost all of the face to face training at work has been replaced with virtual or recorded training online. Where I used to see a 80/20 split between work and pleasure travel, I expect to have to take more personal trips, maybe even 50% of my total travel, to keep status in 2009.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It happened in 2007 - most of our out-of-market client work dried up and was replaced by work within two hours' drive of home. Consequently not enough business flying to retain elite. There is not much worse than flying UA as a non-elite, unless it is flying US under any circumstance.

If I'd paid for all my leisure / personal tickets I would have kept status, at least with Skyteam, but I burned off a lot of miles this year -- use 'em or lose 'em.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat,
Absolutely. I work in the financial sector in NYC (need I say more) and my firm has appointed a travel czar who reports directly into the CEO whose job is to keep travel costs in check. Any transatlantic flight requests have to be approved by him (prior to which they need to be approved by all the suits in my department). So far this year I've been rejected twice and approved twice. All indications point to it being even tighter next year.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
i had my travel budget zeroed out on Oct 1
i live in the dc metro area but work for a company based in Los Angeles

i have a flight on 12/31 which will put me over 25k bis mils and save my 2p status - but i will be joining the line of beggars for 2p status next year!!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Yes, virtually all of my face-to-face meetings have been replaced by conference calls or webinars. I'm grateful that I hit 1 million miles on AA last year and made lifetime Gold, at least I'll be able to select exit row seats!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I fly more every year, it seems. Although I have been lucky enough to get better jobs, but I do not see my travel being curtailed anytime soon....thank goodness!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
My employer cut my job. Even worse.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I retired and am having to adjust. On the other hand I actually have time to burn those accumulated miles and points now.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:07 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Definitely...Was plat this year on Delta with over 100k miles...doubt I will even make Silver next year. Starting to read up on the mileage run threads...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.