Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

MilesBuzz

purchases air ticket from travel agency, how to get miles?

Old Sep 17, 08, 11:56 am
Original Poster

so i purchased a few tickets fro my upcoming trip to a few asian countries. the airlines are United and cathay Pacific. I am member of both United Milegae Plus and Aadvantage. Now my question is, how do i get mileage for my tickets? Do i do it at JFK airport when checking in my bags or can I do it ahead of time?
Old Sep 17, 08, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask your travel agent to add your FF numbers to the appropriate tickets. Or call the airlines and have them do it. Or do it when you check in.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Sep 17, 08, 12:06 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Make sure you have the confirmation # from the airline (not the internal travel agent conf. #) and then call the airline for them to add it. I do this all the time. Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Sep 17, 08, 1:11 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
And even though the airlines might have your frequent flyer number (because you gave it to them) retain all your boarding passes and ticket stubs until you see the mileage actually credited to your accounts a few days later. Never throw these things away until you see the mileage credited to your accounts. If you throw them away, it will cost you a lot of time and maybe money to get copies.

John
Old Sep 17, 08, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

thanks all i love this forum. is it easy to do online and just request mileage credit? i really hate the call and be placed on hold when i can do it at home in front of the computer anytime i want
Old Sep 17, 08, 3:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You may not get AA miles for the Cathay flight, as some discounted fare classes do not credit miles. See:
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...hayPacific.jsp
Old Sep 19, 08, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
You may not get AA miles for the Cathay flight, as some discounted fare classes do not credit miles. See:
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...hayPacific.jsp
why not? i thought AA and cathay were part of oneworld?
Old Sep 23, 08, 2:43 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Always call the airline if it's a third-party booking (travel agent, corporate travel service, online travel agency etc.) and it's not your "home" airline. Travel agencies almost never get the number in correctly into the actual operating airline's record. Almost any agent can get an American number into an American reservation. Getting that same American number properlyinto an AA partner airline is almost impossible via most travel agents and services, even after they tell you "I put the number in".

Either that or leave time at the airport at check-in to make sure the check-in agent puts in the number you want. Leave extra time for calling for a supervisor when the check-in agent doesn't know how to enter a partner number (I've seen AA agents clueless about entering my oneworld partner LAN number, for example.)

Your agent probably can get the UA number into the UA part of the reservation, but even there, if the agent is using a different reservation platform than what UA itself uses, a later change by the agent to enter the number might not get sent to UA. Call up UA. Unless you can log into your Mileage Plus account and already see the reservation in "My Itineraries" - in that case that is proof that UA has your UA number in the UA part of the reservation.

BTW. the only one of the "big 3" online travel agents (Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia) that knows how to put a partner FF# into a reservation properly is Expedia. Expedia has dropdown boxes that let you select any of your FF#s stored in your Expedia profile into any of the flights in your reservation. It's up to you to know which ones are valid (e.g. a UA# on the Cathay Pacific flight isn't going to earn anything) but it does work for putting NW numbers into DL flights, LA numbers into AA flights, UA numbers into Air Canada flights etc. Orbitz and Travelocity have no capability for this and their phone agents are either clueless about the possibility or try and think it's in there, but it isn't.

Problem in part is if you book through an agent, there are at least two, and possibly many, PNR (record locators) in multiple systems. One at the travel agent, another at each airline's own booking system. If there are codeshares involved, such as a UA flight bought under a US code because it was cheaper, there's another version over at US Airways. To get miles, the actual record at the airline operating the flight has to have the valid FF# in it, and after the initial booking, not all the data changed by the agent seems to flow over to each airline properly.

So if the miles (award RDM and/or status EQM) are important to you, make the call. If you have some status in that alliance and so having your number in the airline record in advance has some benefit to you (e.g. OLCI easier, upgrades possible, preferred seating assignments, priority in rescheduling or irregular operations) it's even more important to call rather than to wait until check-in.

Search this Thread