Wiki Posts
Search

Transfering miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2003, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL/Ex-NWA
Transfering miles

I am an infrequent flyer but manage to get 4 or 5 trips in each year. Because of my limited travel, I try to keep all my FF miles in one program. In my case, I have concentrated on building miles with Northwest World Perks.

I have miles in several other programs, including Delta, US Air, and Amex Membership Rewards, which I'd like to find a way to transfer to the NWA account.

Is there a way to do this?

------------------
Wherever you go, there you are.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
No. There may be a convoluted way to "launder" the miles through intermediate programs but the conversion is much less favorable than 1:1, so it's not worth it.

------------------
Vasant
Old Sep 7, 2003, 4:00 pm

Depending on your DL and US Air balances, you might want to look at topping off those accounts with your MR points in order to snag a couple of awards.

I would also suggest looking for a different credit card, since MR doesn't transfer into NW.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 5:36 pm

Next time you travel, take a trip with US Airways or Delta. Get enough miles to earn a reward and then you don't have to worry about the miles in the account. After this, you can concentrate on earning in just NWA WorldPerks.

------------------
No thanks, I'm just lurking. Call me the Lurker!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:13 am

Well, I'm not sure if all those are members, ( I know Delta is at least) but you could always use Points.com for exchanges. I think you can transfer from airline to airline, or into ebay points, or gift certificates.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beck446:
Well, I'm not sure if all those are members, ( I know Delta is at least) but you could always use Points.com for exchanges. I think you can transfer from airline to airline, or into ebay points, or gift certificates.</font>

NW isn't a member of points.com. Even if they were, their transfer rate is horrible.

Mike
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I think the best way to handle this is to simply keep track of all of the expiration dates of the miles and make sure that none expire. If any will expire within 6 months, then use Idine, worldperks mall, or another of the number of things that can add some easy miles to the balance and extend the expiration date for ALL miles in the account by 3 years from the last transaction.

That way, when you do finally get enough in any program you can redeem in that program.

Hilton used to be a good way to launder miles - 10k HH points for 5k miles, if you had 5k miles and nothing to do with them, but those doors have closed for all of the big six airlines except AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.