Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Newbie here, this must be a FAQ, but please help anyway....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:32 am
Original Poster

I have 10,000 to 15,000 miles each on Delta, United, USAir and Northwest, some in my name, some in my wife's.

How can I put these to any use (aside from magazine subscriptions) if I am no longer flying these airlines? I have begun extensive air travel for work, and am now flying AA exclusively.

Can I transfer them to another airline, a credit card or hotel program, cash them in somehow?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't really hellp you with these airlines, but try doing a search in this forum (as well as those of the airlines in question) about using a combination of DC and Starwood points to lump them into one account.

Try using the words

transfer
DC

That should bring up a few topics

There are a number of ways, although each of them will involve giving up some points along the way.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:20 am

You have 2 basic options - transfer them out or top them off. Hilton is one of the only decent options for transferring out. Starwood credit card is perhaps the best way to transfer points in to top off to an award level. Idine and a slew of others will do the same thing.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MikeMargolis:
I have 10,000 to 15,000 miles each on Delta, United, USAir and Northwest, some in my name, some in my wife's.
</font>
Also, if you plan on travel to Hawaii - the 10,000 to 15,000 miles are actually very valuable. United (and possibly the others) require only 5,000 miles for an interisland flight - so if you can get enough miles on one airline for a flight to HNL, you could then fly to other islands for free.

Old Aug 20, 2003, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Additional key words for search

convert
conversion

You will find that most conversions lose a lot of value. YOu may want to keep the accounts active using iDine or Starwood (though Starwood has nice bonus at 20,000 points).
Old Aug 20, 2003, 6:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I have 10,000 to 15,000 miles each on Delta, United, USAir and Northwest, some in my name, some in my wife's.</font>
I would look for a free credit card - bonus miles for first purchase may well be enough to top off those accounts for a domestic award ticket (which could get you to Alaska with most of those airlines)

The regular offers have an annual fee attached, but I believe there was an offer for a NWA World Perks Visa free for the first year by ordering through the World Perks Mall. I believe that came with 10,000 bonus miles, so that may be an easy and free way to top off your Northwest account (if the offer is still available).

Or check out the Starwood card (free for first year) for a 4,000 point bonus. Starpoints convert 1:1 to any of your airline accounts (except United).
Old Aug 22, 2003, 6:04 pm

Is this by any chance the same Mike M. of certain watch site with the initial TZ fame? If so welcome, I'm sure there must be other peoplke addicted to both watches and miles.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 6:58 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Most of the posts above have touched on the options but additional information may prove helpful. Each of the airlines you noted have credit cards aligned with them which give bonuses, generally in the neighborhood of 10,000 miles for applying for and using the card (even using just once). Generally you will have to pay something like $65 for the card, but Delta offers an American Express card which is free if you already have an American Express card -- and Delta will give you a sign-up bonus even if your card is free. Once you have a card, you will generally get 1 mile for every dollar you spend.

Another option for topping up your account is the Starwood American Express card -- this is a great deal. The first year is generally free. You get bonus points for using it at Starwood properties, but in any event you get one point for every dollar you charge. BUT, what makes this a great deal is that a) Starwood is affiliated with ALL of the airlines you mentioned; and b)except for United, you can transer at a rate of 1 point = 1 mile with a 5,000 mile bonus if you transfer 20,000 points.

You can also top off your accounts at the various airlines by judiciously choosing the hotels at which you stay and the cars which you rent. Most hotel chains give around 500 miles per stay to a wide variety of airlines; similarly car rental firms have alliances that earn you points on airlines.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

You have nailed me, I am the traveling WIS!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chfenton:
Is this by any chance the same Mike M. of certain watch site with the initial TZ fame? If so welcome, I'm sure there must be other peoplke addicted to both watches and miles.</font>
Count another one. In fact, I think I pointed Mike here from a TZ forum

RichS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.