Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

iDine - Only 3 restaurants in my city

iDine - Only 3 restaurants in my city

Old Aug 13, 03, 3:06 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
Hi all,

This is something that has disappointed me about iDine, too. There are only three restaurants in the entire STATE of Nebraska (all in Omaha). None west of Des Moines in Iowa. :-(

It seems that iDine hasn't really done much work to develop these regions.

My favorite restaurant in Des Moines is the Machine Shed. Favorite in Council Bluffs is Pizza King. From the name, it sounds like it would be a pizza-only place. However, it has a wide range of high quality options. It's been around for more than 30 years. I highly recommend it. If you talk to the owners, they will know who I am...and I live in Hollywood.

In Omaha, for Mexican food it's El Bee's. My mother loves to go to Old Chicago (chain restaurant) in the Old Market for the pizza. I think it's OK, but not the greatest. Gorat's has excellent steak, but the hash browns are terrible (contrary to Warren Buffett's opinion). Kobe Steakhouse is quite good, too. Caniglias, south of downtown Omaha used to be 60+ minute wait every weekend, but the quality has slipped over the past 10-15 years, IMO.

I'll probably eat at 2-3 of these restaurants in the next week. Maybe I'll see you there? :-)

Later,
Tim in Hollywood
Old Aug 13, 03, 4:22 am

Programs: UA
3 restaurants in your TOWN? I move to the STATE of ND and wherever I search I get "No restaurants in your search area".
Old Aug 13, 03, 8:06 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
3 restaurants!

You are lucky

In beautiful El Paso, we used to have 5, now we have

0!

So I only go when traveling
Old Aug 13, 03, 6:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SuperCat:
It would be nice if they could at least have one national chain to make it easier on us.</font>
iDine makes money by helping restaurants drum up business, and they don't do this by offering rewards for people to go to restaurants they would eat at anyway. In the vast landscape of suburban America, where people like everything mass-produced, the big chains can drum up enough business by their very presence. ("Ooooh, we're getting an Applebee's!") In places like New York City, where there are plenty of excellent local eateries and the citizenry knows it, you will indeed find national chain restaurants that participate in iDine.
Old Aug 14, 03, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Factotum:
In places like New York City, where there are plenty of excellent local eateries and the citizenry knows it, you will indeed find national chain restaurants that participate in iDine.</font>
Riese's, operator of the TGIFridays there (as well as the similar chain, Houlihans) has recently dropped out.
Old Aug 14, 03, 11:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by buffy888:
Do most people use iDine restaurants when in their home city or when traveling? I currently live in Omaha. We are constantly told through local media that Omaha has more restaurants per capita than any other U.S. city, so I was surprised to find that only 3 area restaurants participate in iDine. </font>
I live in Omaha also...I used Nick and Tony's to get idine credits for NW's fff3 promotion. I don't care for the atmosphere at the Grillhouse and Backstreets is really just a little dive for lunch or breakfast.
Old Aug 14, 03, 9:28 pm

They've doubled the number of participation restraunts in the state of arkansas in the last year. Now we have 2 in the state.
Old Aug 14, 03, 11:19 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Well, I always use them when travelling, since they don't have any restaurants in Australia at all. :-)

When I visit the US, I usually find there are quite a few restaurants in most places I travel. There must be over 100 places in the Seattle region. ... and some of them are very nice while some are very good value.

Taco Del Mar used to be a member in the Seattle region, which was great for getting a large number of cheap visits for those bonus promotions. Shame they aren't in it any more.
Old Aug 15, 03, 10:22 am
iff

We currently have one iDine restaurant here in Rochester, MN, which I found only by doing a zip code search because it's listed erroneously under Minneapolis - north suburbs (Rochester is about 85 miles southeast of Minneapolis). I really wish they had searches by state rather than metro area.

Old Aug 15, 03, 10:50 am
Hawleylock

I guess it all depends on your area. I checked, and there are almost 300 in the Phoenix area. There are even some useable ones!

Old Aug 16, 03, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The restaurants in Broward County (FLL and western 'burbs) is eclectic (everything from IHOPs to sandwich places to a good Thai/Japanese in Weston (Moon Thai).

On a different note: What is the usual time by which a reward should show up online. I'm a relatively new member and all of my meals have shown up within 3-5 days except one, which has not shown at all (30 days ago). Is there any recourse with iDine? (the website doesn't have any specific info). BTW I checked a few minutes and the restaurant is still listed in the online directory. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 16, 03, 11:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
5 days is about right for the miles to show up in your online idine program.

About the missing dining: call idine. A rep will give you the fax number. Then you fax the receipt to their attention. Go ahead and do that if it's been 30 days.
Old Aug 16, 03, 10:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Points Scrounger:
Riese's, operator of the TGIFridays there (as well as the similar chain, Houlihans) has recently dropped out.</font>
Oops - it's been a while since I checked. No matter - I wouldn't eat at Fridays in Manhattan whether or not they offered miles through iDine!
Old Aug 18, 03, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA
FOr the most part I have been disappointed with iDine's offerings, esp in the DC area. But as one poster said, the restaurants with good reps and healthy business don't need to participate.

The restaurants in DC are a mixed lot, with only a handful that I would go out of my way to dine, even without the miles.

Interestingly, I did a quick count and Philly has 118 resaturants, DC only about 80. BOth great restaurant towns, but I would think DC would have at least as many as Philly.

But, since it costs nothing to join (the basic program)I can't complain. Now I had to pay a membership fee . . . .
DC 89

------------------
Da DOK
Old Aug 18, 03, 3:53 pm

I wish McDonalds was IDINE now that they have WIFI there.

A McRib with internet access. How can you beat that?

Search this Thread