FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Best Hawaii Inter-island FF deals? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/8486-best-hawaii-inter-island-ff-deals.html)

srodr Aug 3, 2003 11:47 am

Best Hawaii Inter-island FF deals?

I've got a week at the Hilton Waikola Village planned this winter, and am looking into my flights right now. I'll probably try for a Delta 30k mile ticket to HNL, and then hop around to the other islands before and/or after my week at the Hilton.

I am a member of just about every FF program, so can some Hawaii expert tell me which programs offer the 5000 mile tickets? I know United does, and that CO is double at 10,000, but I'm not sure who else has the 5000 mile deals or better.

DBCme Aug 3, 2003 12:10 pm

Hi srodr,
The operative word in your passage is "try" to get a Hawai'i ticket for 30k with Delta. After several weeks finally worked in 2 dates - but only after utilizing multiple airlines; DL/NW on the mainland portion, and CO to the islands. If you can't find availability on the website, call DL and have them check with all the partners. It's 35k miles when using some of the partners.. fyi.

Interisland tix are way up in price these days. 5000 mile reward as you mention is a great deal. UA/AA offer it for sure. Believe NW might also.

have fun =)

------------------
"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine" -Caskie Stinnett

slippahs Aug 3, 2003 2:50 pm

srodr
A search in the Hawaiian Airlines Forum and Hawai'i Forum in FT Travel will answer your question... but here's the answer for you any ways:

CO offers 10k rewards on interisland tickets.
NW/UA/AA offers 5k rewards on interisland tickets*.

CO/NW/AA are partners with Hawaiian Airlines.
UA is partnered with Aloha Airlines.

*Award availability is subject to capacity controls. Aloha Airlines (AQ) is a lot less strict on enforcing capacity controls, so redeeming miles for 5k rewards on AQ is a lot easier than Hawaiian Airlines (HA). To redeem miles on Aloha Air using MileagePlus miles, you need to call the UA Service Center. Redeeming miles on HA for interisland travel is a bit more difficult because of capacity controls. Book well in advance to get the 5k award -- if not, be prepared to pay 10k for the ticket. NW allows you to book the award ticket on their website. Just plug in HNL and KOA as you city pairs.

If you are going to buy your ticket, there is a new price structure in effect for both Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines:
$77.50 Low
$85.50 Mid-price
$95.50 Highest
Each fare tier is capacity controlled, so the sooner you book, the more likely you'll be able to get the low priced fares (priced for one-way tickets).

If you have AAA membership, that will give you an extra 15% off of all Aloha Airlines fares.

Good Luck (especially with that Delta Award) and ALOHA

EDIT: If you can't get that Delta award, NW has new flights connecting thru SEA and MSP that have tons of standard award availability on them (35k RT). Go to www.nwa.com/jp , click on Award Travel Reservations under WorldPerks in the header, then type in your city pairs, your dates... it will then search all standard award avail. for both Northwest and Continental. When you find availability, call Delta to redeem your awards!

[This message has been edited by slippahs (edited 08-03-2003).]

RustyC Aug 6, 2003 7:32 pm

Yeah, I've had difficulty getting HA awards. At least the WPAA award lister (for NW) had a pretty accurate picture on availability. Often it'll be down to just the 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. flights.

Did have better luck on AQ through UA. I even booked separate single day trips to Lanai and Molokai on AQ's Island Air with UA miles. Made more money sense to daytrip from HNL (with $35 Priceline hotel in Waikiki) on first flight in, last flight on a budget as tight as mine. I guess you get weird things like that when you have miles but not too much cash.

tvl4free Aug 7, 2003 6:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slippahs:
If you have AAA membership, that will give you an extra 15% off of all Aloha Airlines fares. </font>
Hummm. Does this statement apply to the jump across the bigger pond? Any links?

cblaisd Aug 7, 2003 8:03 am

http://www.csaa.com/membership/sycas...57C161,00.html

Contact Information
Phone: 888-422-2949

Members save 25% on first-class and standard coach fares and 10% on restricted fares for all Hawaiian inter-island flights with Aloha Airlines and Island Air.
Members also save 15% on first-class and standard coach fares for flights from Oakland to Maui, Kona, and Honolulu; from Las Vegas to Honolulu and Maui; from Sacramento to Maui. Some restrictions may apply.

Call Aloha at 888-422-2949 or contact your local AAA Travel Agency.

Various conditions and restrictions may apply to all offers. Offers not valid with other discounts, promotions or coupons. Good at participating locations only. Valid AAA Membership Card required. All offers, including attraction ticket prices, are subject to change without notice. Offers expire 12/31/03 unless otherwise indicated.