Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Just paid SBC/SNET home phone bill with CC

Old Jul 2, 03, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I was able to pay for my SBC/SNET home phone bill with a mileage CC this morning. Don't know when they started doing this, but it's one more bill that will earn me FF miles.

Dial 811 and drill down to paying your bill with a cc.

[This message has been edited by gw14 (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 03, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
By phone through the automated system has been available for a while, still waiting for online payments.
Old Jul 2, 03, 1:37 pm

thanks...do they make it simple or is it a long process each month?
Old Jul 2, 03, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA LT plat; Marriott LT plat; Hilton Gold
I've been doing this for at least a year I think. It is fairly simple, but a bit of a pain in the a... I too would really like it if I could pay on the internet with a cc.
Old Jul 2, 03, 3:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Cincinnati Bell also has this option for all of their services - home phone, cell phone, DSL.
Old Jul 2, 03, 3:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
By phone through the automated system has been available for a while, still waiting for online payments.</font>
SBC in Chicago has had online/automatic credit card charging for a while. I think it depends on your area.
Old Jul 2, 03, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe the SNET area (Connecticut, with a few exceptions in Woodbury and Greenwich areas I believe) is the only SBC that does not have online payments yet.
Old Jul 2, 03, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Has anyone found that SBC in TX wil take a credit card? When I look at the online payment options, all I see is bank account debit.
Old Jul 2, 03, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
In chicago it has been possible to have your phone bill automatically billed to your credit card - including AMEX. It was so before Ameritech became SBC. It's been years and years.

------------------
Ms.DtG
Old Jul 2, 03, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA1K
I did this recently, too, on a new SBC (Northern California) account. I called to get some clarification of the bill, and the rep I spoke with asked if I would like to pay it now.

She said that there's no way to make it automatic, but that you can call in and do it. She was well aware of the reasons why FF'ers like to do this!

fiat_owner
Old Jul 2, 03, 11:05 pm
anr

I too have been doing this now for 2 years, ever since I moved to CT. The only hassle I have encountered is that I like to do these things late at night and that's when their systems seem to update so I have to call back again. But during the daytime hours, it's simple.
Old Jul 2, 03, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:
Has anyone found that SBC in TX wil take a credit card? When I look at the online payment options, all I see is bank account debit.</font>
I haven't found it. And to think: SBC = Southwestern Bell Company = TEXAS. Everyone else gets the perks. We get the corporate snub. I WANT MY MILES!!! WAAAAH.
Old Jul 3, 03, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I pay my Texas SBC bill with a cc. You just have to telephone the business office, sit on hold for a while, get switched around and then tell the person who answers what you want to do. As a result I pay a few months ahead. So I get the miles for a bit of bother.

Edited to add 'Texas'.

[This message has been edited by oldpenny16 (edited 07-03-2003).]
Old Jul 4, 03, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
I'm in Verizon territory (coastal L A area), and with them the only way I can pay by CC is to physically go to one of their stores. (Not over the phone, not over the web, not automatically.) Ugh, this is a PHONE company? Btw, they bought up GTE in my area a few years ago, and when it was GTE I WAS able to pay by CC over the phone.
Old Jul 6, 03, 6:36 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oldpenny16:
I pay my Texas SBC bill with a cc. You just have to telephone the business office, sit on hold for a while, get switched around and then tell the person who answers what you want to do. As a result I pay a few months ahead. So I get the miles for a bit of bother.</font>
Things seem to have changed recently for Texas SBC. I used to call the business office, talk to a person and pay several months in advance. This service existed for folks who had payment problems.

Unfortunately, last month when I did this I got an automated system with many menus and I could not pay more than the actual amount due.

Bottom line: Lots of time, few miles.

------------------
Middle_Seat

Search this Thread